Frustrated and need a quick option

VanKo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m too far down this rabbit hole of dash cams. I need to make a decision very soon so I can focus on other things in my life. I can’t find what I need without buying two different systems, buying/modifying/experimenting with systems and parts, or spending an insane amount of money on a commercial system.

That being said, I’m settling for an inexpensive single front-facing camera in the meantime - I’d rather have a camera than no camera. I’ve been away from this scene for a while but my last setup was the G1W-C. I had this for years in different cars and was very happy with it. This time around I would like something a little more modern with these features:

Capacitor - this is a must. I go between Florida summers and Chicago winters. I don’t want a battery.
1080p/2k - I don’t care about 4K, especially since most of it in lower end cams is fake.
WiFi - given how many cameras have this these days, it seems silly not to. In the event of an accident, being able to instantly access videos is a plus.
Mirror stalk/suction mount - I’d prefer not to stick it to the windshield.

I just want something that makes quality day/night videos and is reliable. Looking for something <$100usd.

Viofo A119 V3.

Doesn't have the wifi, and the suction mount is an optional extra that I don't really recommend unless you will be swapping between lots of vehicles, but I suspect you would be happy with it. Certainly covers:
just want something that makes quality day/night videos and is reliable. Looking for something <$100usd.

Not many suction-cup equipped cams nowadays so you might consider adapting to a universal 'radar detector' suction mount with your cam of choice. Also not many good cams under $100 unless you catch a sale or discount. Not sure if you can DL vids via wifi, but the B1W is an excellent camera for the modest price. It will be a bit less than the G1W/c for daytime vid quality, but much better at night. HERE is a thread on mounts (including mirror mounts) with it.

Otherwise one of the A119 series cams might do though they are all wedge cams and no wifi. The A119v3 is excellent in every way, the A119/s good day and night for a bit less cost. Wifi downloads are s-l-o-w with most cams but handy sometimes. Apps can be troublesome- be sure your phone is reported to work well for others using the app for the cam's your considering.

Phil

And no dashcam mount off the mirror stalk from the factory, so going there you do have to improvise / DIY stuff cuz most dashcams dont have a tripod thread mount either.
So your best option are probably suction cup, which can also be fine if stealth are not on top of the list.
Personally i would never share anything with anyone at the site of something i am involved in, not even the fact i have a dashcam and it is still recording, that fact and the footage i would only whip out later on if someone give me grief, and then i would probably let my insurance company duke it out with the other part, in court or where ever.

Though i have yet to test my first viofo camera, the A119 V3 seem like a sensible choice, but it do not have wifi, so sharing anything on site are a no - no or you would need a OTG card reader for your phone.
or maybe like i have, the option to play media from memory cards in my headunit.

And no dashcam mount off the mirror stalk from the factory, so going there you do have to improvise / DIY stuff cuz most dashcams dont have a tripod thread mount either.
So your best option are probably suction cup, which can also be fine if stealth are not on top of the list.
Personally i would never share anything with anyone at the site of something i am involved in, not even the fact i have a dashcam and it is still recording, that fact and the footage i would only whip out later on if someone give me grief, and then i would probably let my insurance company duke it out with the other part, in court or where ever.

Though i have yet to test my first viofo camera, the A119 V3 seem like a sensible choice, but it do not have wifi, so sharing anything on site are a no - no or you would need a OTG card reader for your phone.
or maybe like i have, the option to play media from memory cards in my headunit.

I don't like sticking things to the windshield, either by suction or tape/glue. I have a tinted windshield so sticking things to it is a no-go. I also like the idea of mounting it on the mirror stalk so I can easily disconnect it when traveling and using a rental car. I can build/modify/buy any type of mount to work with the mirror stalk if necessary.

Viofo A119 V3.

Doesn't have the wifi, and the suction mount is an optional extra that I don't really recommend unless you will be swapping between lots of vehicles, but I suspect you would be happy with it. Certainly covers:

That is indeed a nice camera, just not a fan of the wedge style and I don't want to stick anything to the windshield. I really prefer to mount to the mirror stalk.

At one time i had a analog box CCTV camera with 27 X optical zoom on my mirror stalk, that worked quite fine for what it was ( a low resolution analog setup )

Me talking in Danish.

Using the optical zoom while driving.

At one time i had a analog box CCTV camera with 27 X optical zoom on my mirror stalk, that worked quite fine for what it was ( a low resolution analog setup )

Me talking in Danish.

Using the optical zoom while driving.

Trust me I have looked into this. I used to install/service/maintain Panasonic Arbitrator systems in police cars. Those are badass systems with almost limitless configurations. So i did consider building one on a smaller scale but I can't seem to find decent quality hardware so I'm back to just looking at traditional dashcams. Once I just find a basic cam to put in my van, I can then focus on building a system exactly how I want it.

Other than the wifi bit, the B1W is about as good a choice as I can recommend, although you'll have to figure out how to adapt it to a mirror mount. The other choices I'd be able to recommend cost beyond your budget limit or are no better. But there may be hope...

There's a capacitor version of the GitUp F1 action cam which like the old Mobius also serves very well as a dashcam. The problem will be in finding one as I think they're out of production now. It would 'tick all the boxes' but probably cost more if you can find one for sale. 4K vids, reliable, wifi, pretty good in summer heats, and a great form-factor and weight for mirror mounting ;)

Phil

The cameras i had in the car then was 700 lines Sony cameras of the effio E and effio S type, today almost a decade later there are much better options even for analog setups.
I run a few IP cameras at home too, even if i am in a 2 floor apartment :) damn punks got it too easy here in DK, but i am willing to play judge and jury too, if i can catch them, and it have been a wile since me and speed have been mentioned in the same sentence.

Seem like you are locked in at dangling pocket camera designs then, though you still have to attach it somehow to the mirror.
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9665tc-with-micro-sd-card
The GS9665TC are a nice and also little camera, but it is with the older IMX 323 sensor, so lov light performance are not like IMX 291 based cameras.
Still valid i think it will log everything you do with your car, so no outrageous claims against you for sure, but to do climb up past the 100 USD mark.
There are of course also a slew of other cameras in more or less the same design, but then there is no telling what you get, only that it is no way near the service and customer care of SG

There is also the range of garmin dashcams, from the very small mini to the gopro sized other models.

Garmin mini does use supercaps, but it has several other issues making it not one I'd recommend. And last time I looked, all the other Garmin's used a LiPo battery, not caps. Otherwise Garmin does have some good cams.

Phil

That is indeed a nice camera, just not a fan of the wedge style and I don't want to stick anything to the windshield. I really prefer to mount to the mirror stalk.
I have a tinted windshield so sticking things to it is a no-go.
There is no issue with sticking cameras to windscreen tint, as long as you don't stick them at the very edge of the tint where they may peel the edge up. Once you are 1" away from the edge then there is something like 30Kg of suction force holding the tint to the glass, far more force than the sticky pad will ever provide to pull the tint off.

Have you seen a wedge style camera? They are a lot smaller than people tend to think from the photographs, and once behind the mirror are out of sight and also inconspicuous from outside.

There is no issue with sticking cameras to windscreen tint, as long as you don't stick them at the very edge of the tint where they may peel the edge up. Once you are 1" away from the edge then there is something like 30Kg of suction force holding the tint to the glass, far more force than the sticky pad will ever provide to pull the tint off.

Have you seen a wedge style camera? They are a lot smaller than people tend to think from the photographs, and once behind the mirror are out of sight and also inconspicuous from outside.

I didn’t really like the wedge style but I have to admit the more I look at the Viofo 129, the more I like it. I see that the mounting slot is the same as many cameras including my old G1W/c - I’m wondering if I can mount it to the mirror stalk. I had a mirror stalk clamp and it kept my last camera nice and steady but I know the 129 is a little bigger/heavier. I travel quite a bit and I like being able to take the camera out and stick it in the rental car with a suction mount. Viofo sells a suction mount - if this is sufficient for mounting I don’t see why the mirror mount wouldn’t be.

I have a pic on here of my windscreen, featuring " a lot" of wedge cameras, the B1W i used as cabin camera then, and my mobius maxi on a suction mount but you can barely see it for my mirror.
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

The cameras are SG9665GCX2 - SG9663DC - Guard track GT65EX and as mentioned the mobius maxi you can barely see and the B1W

Not sure if the "T" slot is the same on the Viofo's, but probably isn't. That doesn't mean you can figure out some way of making it work to suit you. HERE is how I mounted a Mobius on a bracket- with enough ingenuity anything can be done ;)

Phil

Back