Frustrated Dashcam Buyer

lkwan78

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Real f500lHd
Maybe i'm expecting too much, but I have now used the dvr-027, FL500HD, Garmin dash cam 20, and i just got the Mio Mivue 568 today.

Garmin Dashcam 20 records at 9 mbits
Mivue 568 records at 13mbits

So far none of them have the clean video quality. All of them are very noisy, grainy, flat, and the color are just way off.

I have also used my Gopro Hero 3 and iPhone 4s and tried them as dash cams. They both worked well, and gave me the video image quality i want, but since they aren't dedicated dash cams charging them and getting them to loop video correctly becomes issues.

When ya'll playback the files on your computer. Do you watch it at the full resolution? i find it very odd with the mivue 568, that at half resolution it looks fine, but when i play it at full resolution, everything gets extremely pixelated!

I will record more tomorrow with my iphone 5s, hero 3 silver, dash cam 20, mivue 568, so that ya'll can compare the videos side by side.

Sounds as if it could be your computer. Have you tried another player or computer?

At work I'm using lennovo 23" i5 and a i5 mac book pro and at home i have a i7 iMac 27"

The files play file ... it is just resolution of the cameras. I dled niko raw files from a panorama II. the 12mbit files looked better than my examples...

but the video quality got so much better at 15 and 18 mbits.

I don't have any retina display computers so i couldn't perceive the benefits of the 21mbit raw files.

Maybe i'm expecting too much, but I have now used the dvr-027, FL500HD, Garmin dash cam 20, and i just got the Mio Mivue 568 today.

I have also used my Gopro Hero 3 and iPhone 4s and tried them as dash cams. They both worked well, and gave me the video image quality i want, but since they aren't dedicated dash cams charging them and getting them to loop video correctly becomes issues.

When ya'll playback the files on your computer. Do you watch it at the full resolution? i find it very odd with the mivue 568, that at half resolution it looks fine, but when i play it at full resolution, everything gets extremely pixelated!

I will record more tomorrow with my iphone 5s, hero 3 silver, dash cam 20, mivue 568, so that ya'll can compare the videos side by side.

I have several dash cams but also iPhone 4S with dash cam apps "witness". This turns your iPhone into a GPS dash cam. You can charge it with any USB DC charger capable of 1A while driving. There is an option to turn the display off to minimize heat build up. The video is excellent, 1080p. You can set aside how many gig for video loop. The only drawback - not wide angle but you can always buy wide angle lens & case on ebay cheap.
P.S. search youtube for video of iphone as webcam using WITNESS apps.

Back