Fuse

Screen name taken

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
70mai Dash Cam Pro
I have just posted in the DIY projects section, my ideas on how to hard wire a cam . When I was doing this work I noticed that the fuse was rated at 2 amps on a 240 volt. That is obviously not good, so please check yours to see if it correctly rated.

The fuse was rated 2amp/240 volt and it should have been 2 amp/12 volt.
If there is a problem a 240 volt fuse would not blow straight away only slowly melt thus a there could be a big possibility of a fire.

No, that's fine. A 2A fuse will blow at (about) 2A, regardless of voltage. Fuses (and all conductors) heat up as a function of the current flowing through them: it's called Ohmic heating, and is expressed as I²/R (I=current, R=resistance).

For legal/liability reasons, don't use a 12V fuse in a 240V application, but from an electrical point of view, it'd work just fine.

Agree with Troon. And i have blown a few of those fuses at those rating and voltage and it is fine.

I am not expert and I was told by and expert that the fuse could slowly melt. I was shocked, hence my posting.

There are many kind of fuses like slow blow or quick blow. Generally quick blow has thinner wires. Difference in use is the slow blow ones are for devices that may need to peak over the A value at start up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SoCalDude G1WX 6
J G1WX 0
Neuralgia G1WX 15
A G1WX 2
Back