G-ON DASH CAM, GNET®, GNET On The Road™ Cloud

Cheers mate....just noticed you're in Sydney. Toowoomba Qld here.
Yes...via the mobile app so you'd expect some slight degradation over wifi but...still better than the uploads.
I'll extract a couple directly from the card and see how they compare after uploading.

When you say they look different after uploading, are you referring to watching the file directly from the Dropbox site or after re-downloading them after you uploaded them? Video quality is always pretty bad when watching video files directly from those sites. You should always download the file and watch directly from the PC file.

I sent my file directly to GNet to inspect and they said that was the expected quality. Not sure if they released new firmware that improved things or not.

No...download first. I'm aware of the limitations of viewing and aware that raw file is always better...but I was very surprised at the difference your file was in comparison to files from my unit.
Not sure about a firmware upgrade...quite possible I guess, but the end result should still be to have footage that's usable should there be a need and I'd be very surprised if the footage I've been getting from my unit isn't usable.
And just to add further....after reading the comment from GNET about the quality of the footage from your unit...then the glossy advertising and hype doesn't match the actual. I don't think I'd buy this cam after reading the marketing spin and then seeing your footage.
cheers

No...download first. I'm aware of the limitations of viewing and aware that raw file is always better...but I was very surprised at the difference your file was in comparison to files from my unit.
the bulk of the difference would relate to the scene and lighting, roadsides with lots of trees are notoriously difficult to encode, scene like that will bring out the worst in any camera

Just uploaded some files extracted from the SD card to the Mega Link. Definitely clearer. Added one from night vision as well. Not sure how that compares to other dashcams.
cheers

Just uploaded some files extracted from the SD card to the Mega Link. Definitely clearer. Added one from night vision as well. Not sure how that compares to other dashcams.
cheers
looks a little better I guess, low light performance is average but you're running the front at 50fps, would likely perform better at night using 25fps

The hardware in the camera are probably not far off from what all the others use too.
You should also be careful when you compare 2 cameras together from different feeds, it dont take much before you get another result, hence why i prefer to test head 2 head on my windscreen.
Your footage the scenery are pretty uneventful, if you compare to another camera that pass by a lot of trees lining the road, the amount it have to process are significant higher.

If you have a camera with a low bitrate and you drive into a really busy scene with a lot of work for the camera, the footage can almost turn into mindcraft looking graphics.
Over the years using 1080p cameras i found using modified firmware's with elevated bitates, that when you reach about 25 - 30 mbit ( H.264 ) then you dont see as much blocking in busy scenes, which the standard 18 mbit would kick out in such areas.
But then your file size for a 3 minute segment also jump from 300 MB to close to 1000 MB.
And thats what dashcams try to avoid, at least in the old days where "big" memory cards was very expensive, and also there is the heat generation which go up as you increase bitrate, in itself also a problem for a camera on a piece of glass facing the Australian summer.

If you have a camera with a low bitrate and you drive into a really busy scene with a lot of work for the camera, the footage can almost turn into mindcraft looking graphics.
Over the years using 1080p cameras i found using modified firmware's with elevated bitates, that when you reach about 25 - 30 mbit ( H.264 ) then you dont see as much blocking in busy scenes, which the standard 18 mbit would kick out in such areas.
the default files are AVI with 50fps @ 13mbit/sec front and 25fps @ 6mbit/sec rear, amazed it does as well as it does at those rates, the exported files are MP4 so they have been re-encoded which is why there's a bit of a drop in quality, going from a source file that doesn't have all the detail and then encoding it to a different compressed format is always going to lose some quality in the process

Yeah i also noticed the low light performance, not stellar but good enough in my book ( price depending of course )
And it is a "smart" camera so if it keep with the norm there, image quality should not be stellar anyway.

The smart stuff though i would not use it personally it was actually one of the things i was looking forward to trying on my initial contact with Gnet, just to see if it was more easy going than what many / some owners of other smart systems experience.
And admitting smarts do tickle my fancy in most forms, even if i am quick to dismiss much of it even before actually trying it

Yeah i also noticed the low light performance, not stellar but good enough in my book ( price depending of course )
And it is a "smart" camera so if it keep with the norm there, image quality should not be stellar anyway.
$600 camera in our market

For the G-on :eek:

Either is have missed out on the value of Aussie "bananas" or that sound pretty expensive.

well with that price bracket i would rather consider a local brand, even if they only make dumb cameras ;)

$600 camera in our market

Got it for a little less...fitted, with the GPS module and wi-fi dongle included and they're both optional extras normally. I'm happy with it...just hope it's wasted money....that rather than needing it for accident footage.

I've tweaked the settings a little. I'll give it a day or 2 and see what sort of difference it's made.

Back