G sensor / Parking Mode advise

DashcamRob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long got a nextbase 422gw and even on low setting the G sensor is a pain.

Open the door, shut the door, get in the car, etc etc. The camera records and it’s a pain that deleting each file is not easy.

However I want the parking mode.

So can I turn off the G sensor, but have the parking mode still on. Thanks

Yes, the G sensor is only for crashes, or bumps..
The parking mode is seperate, and is kicking in, when you get in, and shut/slam the car door.
Either better off be quicker getting in and starting the car(and the camera will start recording, but won't lock the clip), or wire it up to a permanent live fuse, with a hardwire kit, so it records all the time, and you just switch parking mode off, as you won't need it.
But if you do wire it to a permanent live, get a decent sized card, as the larger the card, the less the re-writes.

For some baffling reason the parking mode works when the camera is removed from the car. This means it starts recording in your pocket when you leave the car, or every time you pick it up. That makes no sense to me. I'm losing patience with this cam.

yeh it will, it's motion activated, so you moving the camera, causes it to start recording.
switch the mode off, when it'ss in your pocket or out of the car.
Older models of their cameras did that also.

They should modify the firmware. There's no logical reason for the cam to do this. It should only apply the parking mode rule when the device is in the mount.

Yeah I have had had my gripes with this too on my 422gw. I mean its no fault of the cameras, but the state of the british roads are a problem too. Every pot hole or speed hump I go over, it records a protected file, even if I turn a tight corner at a junction it will protect the file. I find I'm having to forever format my SD card because the space is quickly being swallowed up by protected files meaning it cant cycle the SD card efficiently. Any one else find this?

Yes, I have it too. ANY speed bump, pot-hole or hard corner will trigger it. I know the sensitivity can be changed but I don't trust this camera to perform when I need it, so I just live with it. I never had it happen with my previous camera.

If the camera is recording and saving OK then IMO there is no real need to protect a file, especially if the protected files are causing an issue.

If anything happens to cut camera power then the internal battery should allow the dashcam to close the file and shutdown properly.

Just my opinion and I've always turned sensors to low or off after my first foray into dashcams caused loads of unwanted duplicate or locked files.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your question.

The simple answer is no, you can not turn off the G-sensor for Parking Mode.

The G-sensor has essentially two functions. The 'Live' G-sensor is for file protection whilst driving, saving footage when the perimeters our outside of the normal range. This function can be set to three different sensitivities; low, medium, high and off, depending on road quality and individual factors of the conditions that you usually drive in/on.

For Parking Mode; whilst it uses the same G-sensor, it has fixed but very sensitive trigger thresholds, which are completely separate from Live trigger thresholds. They are set to a level where any damage or movement to your car activates the Dash Cam and records the event. This level is triggered when you close your door as it is a similar level to someone smashing your window or breaking into your car. So i'm afraid it's Parking Mode with G-sensor, or disabling Parking Mode.

For anyone wishing to remove the camera from the vehicle but encountering issues with the camera re-activating in their pocket, the simple answer is to turn off Parking Mode. This will stop the camera from turning on and using the battery.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Last edited:
I've already emailed support about it, but they really need to do away with the splash screens, and speed up the booting time when in parking mode.
The time it takes for the camera to switch on and boot up/start recording is far too long.
I had someone reverse in to my car the other day, which I witnessed, and when reviewing the footage later, it only started recording when the other guy was actually stepping out of his car which he had parked after bumping me.

Far too long, and useless in all respects, unless it's boot up time is increased.
Can't be too hard, as the sensor is live, so it can't be too much of a job to speed it up, and differentiate between a parking mode impact, and the start up via key of the car, which you could have a boot screen/splash screen.

Parking mode - impact - instant boot - record/stop - Camera "sleeps"/Parking mode again.
Ignition key - splash/boot screen - camera on - car moves - camera records.

Hi,

I've passed on your feedback to our Tech Team, thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Meonia 422GW 2
Back