G-sensor sensitivity

Nath

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Triple Viofo A139-3CH, Dual A129Pro-2CH, Blackvue DR900S-2CH
Hi,

after Blackvue've released the new firmware (i planned to test it in my oven, but... :D) i bought this camera. Overall it works OK but one of my main concerns now is a normal mode impact detection. Even i set everything to 1 i'm still getting so much notifications about impact while drive. Man, roads in cities are not smooth as a baby's butt and even on the hightway(straight road) in 130km/h the G-sensor graphs are all over the place (FYI, it's in BMW X5 2016, so suspension is pretty ok i guess).

Does anybody have the same issue?

Thanks

Last edited:
I left the normal impact detection sensitivity to the default levels but turned off the beeping the camera makes and the cloud notification when it happens in normal mode. You will generally be driving in normal mode and when an impact your actually care about happens, you'll know.

Sure, i can turn it off completely but i thought it's for cases like if i(or somebody else - family, friends, etc.) hit a tree (driver has better things to do at that moment...), i'll get notification. Not to mention a storage space which will end up filled by events footage...

BTW: How many event-records do you get in one day approximately? (with this setting) Did you set to overwrite old events?

Last edited:
Turn off the UP/Down sensor. If anyone hits you here will be a ,lot more L/R or F/B than U/D.
I have mine set to 0, 1, 1 for normal driving and the default for parking.

I had to turn off the F/B to reduce the false positives to almost a zero. It's odd because:

Highway, constant 160km/h, straight road:
graphs_1.png

Acceleration 0-100 in 6s (black box represents the end of the acceleration)graphs_2.png

Sorry for graphs but my PC wasn't able to record the whole screen of the BlackvueViewer while 4k play. :D

Last edited:
I don't get one thing, "G-sensor" is supposed to be just an accelerometer, so on constant speed on a highway the F/B graph should be pretty flat, close to 0 . According to mine scenario i'm changing brake and gas(accelerate more than my car is even able to) every two seconds like a madman.

Ok, after some time of testing, it's indeed "fixed" by disabling F/B measure. So the question is, does anybody have these chaotic graphs during drive? Or could you please upload graphs from similar condition (i mean the highway one, of course :D)? I just want to determine if i have to RMA my dashcam or it's somehow caused by the car.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sure, i can turn it off completely but i thought it's for cases like if i(or somebody else - family, friends, etc.) hit a tree (driver has better things to do at that moment...), i'll get notification. Not to mention a storage space which will end up filled by events footage...

BTW: How many event-records do you get in one day approximately? (with this setting) Did you set to overwrite old events?

If you loan your car to folks then sure there's value in leaving it on. I'm the only one that drives my car so it's just annoying for me so it stays off

I keep my setting as low as possible..and volume of notifications to just where I can hear it. Having the odd beep.. lets me know the camera is still working.

On my 750 I have U/D set to zero and the other two set to One for normal recording to minimis 'E' recordings.

Ok, now i'm not sure what the actual problem is. Seller replaced my unit(new sealed package) and guess what, it does the same thing (and it even seems like less sensitive in parking mode).

I think i'll try an older firmware...

Last edited:
Guys, anybody please upload a video(raw, to be able to look at the G-sensor graphs) from the highway in speed about 80mph/130kph or more. I'm in contact with support team of Blackvue and i'm pissed off so much that they are lucky to be from another country...

G-sensor of the replaced unit triggers events by front/back axis even by closing side-doors (set lowest sensitivity). And look at the left/right axis...

Driver's door:
doorslam_driver-.png

Passenger's door:
doorslam_passenger-.png

And here we have the car acceleration again but somehow the graph is upsidedown now:
acceleration.png

Last edited:
Did you solve your problem? For me, the service refused to repair.

Do you have the serial number of your device? Maybe it's some faulty dashcam series.

Last edited:
I probably found a solution. I'm testing.

Did you solve your problem? For me, the service refused to repair.
View attachment 45395

Do you have the serial number of your device? Maybe it's some faulty dashcam series.
Sorry for my late response. :)

Not at all. I started to have some Wifi issues and rear camera began to disconnect(after few days it disconnected completely) so i've contacted the seller and he offered me RMA or refund. He has also mentioned in case of RMA he must to send front/rear cameras to the Blackvue (the first front unit was replaced immediately by him) because Blackvue repair-center said there was nothing wrong with the first unit. But before i was even able to deliver my dashcam to the seller, 2 weeks later rear camera came to life again. (about Wifi i have to do some additional testing)

So my "solution" for now is still F/B axis disabled and to be patient. Sometimes i try to contact the Blackvue about my issues but Edison is undoubtedly just a du.p fu.k ;)

Btw: I'm glad you came here. I noticed your thread in the polish forum and was wondering how to be able to talk in Polish. (i know how bad is the google-translator for Slavic languages) May i ask, what is your solution? And it's perfect you have access to other DR900S user to be able to compare two units side-by-side.

S/N: DR9SS1HBE00806 (1st unit), DR9SS1HBE00807 (2nd unit) - no kidding. I was thinking about a bad batch as well. :unsure:

Last edited:
Check the fixing of the camera in the holder. It seems to me that I did not press the handle to the end and that it caused vibrations. In the evening, I'll take pictures exactly what's going on. And I will test today.
S/N: DR9SS1H6E02660

Yeah, i noticed the mount doesn’t hold the dashcam properly but it was clicked correctly, so problem is diameter.

I applied some electrical-tape strips, it’s nice and tight but no difference.

Btw (polish forum): What do you mean by the DR650 has larger range of the sensitivity?

I've had to just recently disable mine completely. Now that our weather has warmed up with a mixture of potholes and frost heaving it just creates too many false events.

Alternatively I've turned the proximity sensor to trigger manual mode.

On the DR650S, the adjustment range is from 0 to 100.
After testing today it is still a problem, however, but to a lesser extent.

Attachments

• BlackVueCloud 21.03.2019 18_40_33.png
    BlackVueCloud 21.03.2019 18_40_33.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 15
DR900S vs DR650S

I was about to say "if it's not just about a finer range with same sensitivity" but this is the answer. Nice comparison.

I wonder which accelerometer was used anyway - i saw DR900S's insides (again thanks to polish forum :D ) and was unable to find proper chip and then noticed something at the front of the housing with 5 wires(could be SPI interface). Because most of the accelerometers are able to switch between senstivity modes (like 2G, 5G, 10G ranges). The Blackvue’s one definitely doesn’t switch anything...

Back