G1W-C -- Do all have date reset issue? What's the fix?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
G1W-C.
I read many users complaining date resets after few hours while others mention 8 hours.
Some have only date reset with other settings saved while others reset all settings.

Do all have date reset issue? What's the fix?

May be higher power capacitor fixes this?
Thoughts?

I have this problem (posted about it in another thread). I'll drive to work with my dash cam on and then unplug it for 8~9hrs while at work. After work, I plug the dashcam back in and realize the time/date resets. My guess is the capacitor is faulty.

My question is more on if capacitor behave like that?
They don't have enough charge like a battery so it's assumed they can't hold settings for too long.
If yours is resetting after 8 hours, may be that's how capacitors are... :confused:

I've read many with same issue so it's not limited to one seller.
Even at Amazon review and other dashcam boards, G1W-C resetting date/time is mentioned so that may be what they can do with capacitors.
Good thing is other menu settings are unchanged for longer time than date/time.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...650-ar0330-1080p-30fps.3543/page-6#post-66948
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...650-ar0330-1080p-30fps.3543/page-8#post-73904
Bought from estore009.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...50-ar0330-1080p-30fps.3543/page-8#post-761087

Last edited by a moderator:
I powered on my Vico TF2 for the first time in a few months the other day and the time and date were reset as well. Have not checked my Marcus 3 (both capacitor )

I have a G1W-C and it has been used quite extensively the last 2 weeks and no problems.
I've been on 2 road trips, one a 3 hr round trip and the other a 9 hr round trip.
I set the time and date 2 weeks ago and it still holds.
I have Motion Detection "off", perhaps that might be the answer.
Electronic capacitor either works or doesn't, there is no in between.
I've formatted the micro card twice.
I turn the dash cam on and off by the power cord in the car accessory holder.
I haven't changed any of the other settings since I installed it.
I forgot to mention I don't use the Replay feature on the dash cam.
If need be I remove the microcard and transfer the files to my computer.

Last edited:
I have a G1W-C and it has been used quite extensively the last 2 weeks and no problems.
I've been on 2 road trips, one a 3 hr round trip and the other a 9 hr round trip.
I set the time and date 2 weeks ago and it still holds.
I have Motion Detection "off", perhaps that might be the answer.
Electronic capacitor either works or doesn't, there is no in between.
I've formatted the micro card twice.
I turn the dash cam on and off by the power cord in the car accessory holder.
I haven't changed any of the other settings since I installed it.
I forgot to mention I don't use the Replay feature on the dash cam.
If need be I remove the microcard and transfer the files to my computer.

Have you left your g1w-c completely unplugged from all power sources for a few hours?

I was at a cottage for a week and at one point the car wasn't used for 2 days.
Mine is not hardwired, I plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn off.
My accessory socket is live all the time that is why I have to plug it in and unplug it.
The socket is on its own and separate from the ignition.

Here is a post from emg2919 that suggests upgrading firmware may fix the issue.
Not guaranteed but worth a try...

I just fixed it. I loaded a new firmware, ver. 2113.1112.18. You know it's different as there is a new category called PLATE NUMBER, and it also reboots into Chinese.
The other thing I did was to make the settings I wanted (No g-force, 3 minute screen saver, etc), and then instead of powering off the car, I hit the power button for 3 seconds, and let it do a proper boot down sequence. Then I powered it up, and all the settings were saved. The corrupt final file issue is also fixed. It was the firmware FW96650A.bin.
When I shut off the car now with the key, the screen also shows a 'Goodbye' splash screen, which the previous FW version did not do.
Remember, after you flash the FW, take the card out, format it in your computer, then insert it back into the cam, or else you will flash the cam everytime it boots.

My GW1-C didn't retain the date/time settings when it was brand new, and I drive daily. I would have to reset the date/time often, but then I got lazy and stopped resetting the date/time setting since it was a pain to remove the camera from the mount and access the buttons. I checked this morning, and the unit now gives me a "memory error" message. I don't know how long it has been flashing this message, but it means I would have no footage available if I get into an accident. The other problem is that it will not allow me to change the date/time settings anymore too. I tried to format the card, but the unit says "insert memory card". The unit is not even a year old!

Without power my G1W-C keeps time for a few days but less than a week. Firmware is 2013.1112.18. I received it in June (ordered in May) from FoxOffer. Behaviour has not changed throughout ownership.

I had the date reset once, the second day I got it. It has been fine since then, about two weeks.

Mine is the 2014 firmware. Bought from estore009. Has gone four days so far without date reset issue.

I've been using my G1W-C since mid August and there are no issues with my dash cam maintaining date and time.
My car is always parked outside and idle up to 2 days plus we are into winter and -14C degrees now and my dash cam never leaves the car.
I suspect it is some procedure you are doing or some setting hasn't been done properly.

I bought mine from Gearbest I it probably came with a bad capacitor. It only holds the date/setting for about 6hrs and then resets. I've been too lazy to return it, might try hooking it up to an external battery pack.

I've fixed my date reset problem by following the advice above by 'emg2919' plus one other IMPORTANT action or in my words as follows:-
Download the latest firmware from this site or by searching for the firmware yourself on the web.
Remove the sd card from the dash cam.
Put in sd card in an adaptor and then into your PC.
Open sd card on PC and format sd card.
Un-zip firmware update and the place .bin file onto the formatted sd card.
Remove adaptor from PC and put sd card in dash cam and power up the dash cam.
There is then a delay before the screen comes on, as it must be installing the new firmware.
Adjust all the dash cam settings as per your requirements.
This next bit was the important bit.
Eject the sd card from the dash cam without turning the power off.

This will switch off the dash cam.
Put the sd card back into the adaptor and back into the PC and re-format the sd card again.
Take the sd card out of the PC, out of the adaptor and back into the dash cam.
That's it - my date problem was resolved and the date was retained.
If you don't re-format the sd card after inputting your settings, the bin file will re-write itself onto the dash cam every time you power off and as a consequence the settings will be over-written again and again, re-setting the date and frustrating you the user.
Hope this solution that worked for me works for you.

If you don't re-format the sd card after inputting your settings, the bin file will re-write itself onto the dash cam every time you power off and as a consequence the settings will be over-written again and again, re-setting the date and frustrating you the user.

Quite correct this. Mine works fine; holds date/time settings for 8 days, but not 11 days. All other settings hold for 19 days. That's as far as I've tested it. My firmware is 2015.0316.11

Based on what I've seen here on DCT along with a few comments elsewhere, and backed up by my own personal experiences it seems that the QC of the G1Wc is quite variable. The 'date/time' and 'last file corrupt' bugs seem to have been cleared up with the newest firmware, but based on who made the cam you may not have the newest firmware. There may also be some manufacturers using cheaper super-caps but I have no data to back that with, only my knowledge about the component.

Such things are to be expected with a 'generic' product like this. The form-factor is beginning to look a little dated, but if you get a good one it's still a great value for a good dashcam.

Phil

Hi Phil (above). I've two G1W-C dash cams and I've had no problems whatsoever with the fist purchase, hence why I bought the second one. The firmware version on the good dash cam is as yours 2015.0136.11, but 2014.1112.18 or 2013 etc and these two versions seem to give me the date problem. I've searched for the firmware 2015.0136.11, but haven't found a link - so, if you, or anyone else, has a link for this version I would appreciate it, to at least try it. Thanks.

Just received my G1W-C and got that date/reset problem as well, after 8 hours or so. Originally, the FW was 2015.0136.11 but since it was not working properly, I tried doing Ken's formatting trick. When I insert the sd card after a format (with the bin file or not), there is a message on the dashcam saying that the size is not good and that I've got to format from the dashcam menu. Now, I got the 2013.1112.18 FW and stuck with the same problem.

Back