G1W-C question - remote camera?

LAKKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-C (2014), Viofo A118C2 (2018), Viofo A129 Pro Duo (2021)
I've been reviewing all the articles on the G1W-C camera because I just ordered one, but it has not arrived yet. I saw 2 postings that show the unit opened and the internals, with one posting saying the camera lens is held in place with only "1 screw".

I was wondering if there is a reason NOT to remove the lens and extend the camera wires, which would make a micro camera/recorder unit(?)

Thank you in advance!

On that model, I believe the CMOS sensor is on the board and not moveable. On some cameras, such as the Mobius, you can extend the lens module, yet not too far. The maximum is 8 inches, anything more degrades video quality. This limits where you can mount it

Reactions: Mtz
Thank you for the replies. I guess if it were easy, it would have been done already! Getting anxious for my G1w-C to arrive.

Thank you for the replies. I guess if it were easy, it would have been done already! Getting anxious for my G1w-C to arrive.
Enjoy it and as you use it you will better learn your likes and needs. Don't think about it, it will take longer if you do ;)

The box arrived today, and I followed the forum recommendations for the settings. I also put black tape over the IR light and colored the chrome
lense ring with a black marker. I would like the unit to sit closer to the roofline and mirror, making it less visible to others, but that will take a bracket fabrication session in the future.

I will get a battery discharge cutoff once I use the unit for a while.
I didn't realize that it only records 4 hours on the 32gb card, so that means I may miss some footage.

I didn't see how to write protect a video clip in the instruction manual(?)

The right button on the top of the camera does it. Can't remember if the screen needs to be turned on first

Great........the way I mounted the unit makes that button the hardest to reach!

Thanks for the help!!

Just a 3 week product review on the G1W-C model. I had the camera freeze at startup once with the message "insert memory card", even though the card was in. I removed the memory card and placed it back in, and haven't seen that error since. I don't know if I have a model with a bad capacitor, but my dash cam keeps losing the date/time setting over night, so I stopped resetting it. The display shows January 1, 2000 and the incorrect time right now.
The daytime clarity is sharp, but I do have a hard time reading other car's license plates, but this might be an issue with my laptop display(?). Night clarity is not too good either, but it is a $58 camera! I've bought two other mounts listed in the forums, but I stuck with the one that came with the unit. The mount is so tacky, it sticks before I engage the suction cup lever.

My G1W-C is now 2 months old, and the problem with the unit losing the date/time setting has not happened again. I don't know if it is my laptop display, but I find some of the video looking almost like it was recorded on a VHS tape. Other video clips are really clear HD!

I ordered several mounts, but keep going back to the one that came with the unit! heh heh

7 Month update: At some point, the camera stopped recording at power-up and gives a "memory error" message, but since I have it mounted in front of the rear view mirror, I don't know when this problem started. The date/time setting loss reoccurred often, so I gave up resetting them. I tried formatting the memory card in the camera this morning, but the camera thinks there is no memory card in the camera and it would not let me edit the date/time. I would think that I would still be able to reset the date/time even if the memory card went bad, right? Good thing I installed the camera power wire "temporarily" just in case the camera died prematurely!

Are you guys sure the camera on the G1W-c is mounted directly on board? The pictures I've seen of the "guts" seems to look like it's ribbon cable to a surface mount type connector:

10001257_1487188551496033_1302538080044108475_o.jpg

G1W-C%20Car%20Camera_7.jpg

xu.jpg

I've got one on order, so I haven't taken one apart yet. But I ordered it with the thoughts of eventually "remoting" the camera from the recorder. The camera in the window, the recorder in my overhead console. Around 8 inches would be just about enough to do it....

sensor is on the board

Do you know if it is soldered on board or is it socketed?

I guess the next question would be what the ribbon cable going under the sensor is for?

Not doubting, curious.

I'll have a better idea once it gets here and I can pop the unit open for a closer look I guess...

haven't looked at one for quite a while but think it's surface mount from memory, guess you can confirm once you get yours

Ah, this one looks like what you describe:

ZaDU4Zk.jpg

But I'm pretty sure that's not a "-C" since it has the battery. The board is black vice green like I've read the new ones are supposed to be though.

I'll just have to wait until I get mine in hand I guess.

:)

there are 7 different versions that I know of (maybe more) of the G1W, the G1W-C there are at least 2 versions, what you get with these is anyone's guess

I did buy from estore009, so hopefully its a newer one and no "bumps" with the chip set and camera.

I have at least 2-3 weeks to wait though. Free shipping is always nice, except for the wait time.

Oh well, what can you expect for "free"?

:)

Maybe not that long, my unit from estore009 took just 10 days to arrive :)

1 year review of my g1w-c unit: I gave up resetting the date/time settings due to the unit not holding them overnight, even when the unit was 2 months old. I had a "memory error" message at month 6, which was solved by reformatting the memory card in the camera. At month 12, I noticed that the internal microphone was on (I want it off), but the other settings were still stored.

I was thinking about putting this unit in my wife's car, and getting a different dashcam model for my car. These dash cams are inexpensive, so I should get 2 new units for both cars. I am in the habit of looking behind my mirror to confirm that the unit is recording, so that tells me that my confidence in the unit isn't high anymore.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S G1WX 2
S G1WX 15
G G1WX 5
K G1WX 9
L G1WX 2
Back