G1W-C question - remote camera?

14 month review: the unit's startup screen stays on for over a minute where it used to appear for about 5-10 seconds. Once I stop the recording to go into the setup menu, none of the push buttons have any effect. The red status led, indicating that the unit is recording, does not stay on once the display turns off after the selected shut off time. I have little confidence in the unit now.

My G1W-C unit is still working after almost 3 years, although the time stamp always says "Jan 2000", which was a problem when it was brand new.
I thought the unit died this week, but it was a problem with the power plug needing to be removed and plugged a couple of times before it seated firmly. Just when I'm finally considering hard wiring it, due to the accessory plug constantly popping out, I'm thinking of getting a pair of A118c units now. The A118c now gets good reviews here, but my brother's died in less than a year, but it was probably a knockoff.

There are more knockoff A118C models than real ones out there, if looking now better to get the A118C2

Reactions: Mtz
Thanks for the tip jokiin! I didn't even consider the A118 due to my brother's bad experience. Only the recommendation here steered me towards this model over another G1W. I get the feeling I may have to consider the Mobius and do without a screen(?)

There are now a number of good dash and action cams in the same price range as G1Wc- a couple years ago the choices were far more limited :( While I've been a fan of the G1Wx cam series, I think it's time for me to change because save for a few models they just haven't kept pace with the times. And with only one of those models can you be sure of what exact cam you're getting when you buy :eek: If you buy an A118x or A119x (or the G1Ws) from Viofo I think you'll do fine- those are apparently good cams currently and I hope Viofo keeps them that way ;)

Mobius is also a very good choice in this price range if you can do without the screen; personally that doesn't bother me one bit since this cam is so reliable and they keep the build quality high. It's only real downside is that it is as fully developed as is possible so only minor upgrades can be forthcoming but they are doing that- they just began offering 2 new lenses :cool: There's nothing quite like it though a couple other cams come close; those are either more costly or are "not ready for prime time" yet. I can recommend Mobius without reserve as long as you understand what you're getting with it and don't expect more :D

Phil

Going on 3 years with the g1w-c, I think I got my $60 worth. I want to get 2 new cameras so I can have a rear facing on my car, and front for my wife's car.
I may go with Mobius for my 2nd, and A118C2 for my wife's. I was planning on buying from Estore009 to get the Viofo brand.
Thanks for your input!!!

...I was planning on buying from Estore009 to get the Viofo brand....

I remember reading somewhere that SpyTec is an authorized seller of Viofo products (can @viofo confirm?). Would give you local support and quicker delivery.

Spytec, Capture Your Action, OCD Tronic are all USA based and authorised dealers, pricing is not that far different, pre and post sales service is way different from the local sellers though

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S G1WX 2
S G1WX 15
G G1WX 5
K G1WX 9
L G1WX 2
Back