G1W Cam battery issue.

RCH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Edit :

I ordered the G1W camera almost at the end of January 2014. Today I found out that the internal battery of camera is dead. Camera wont save settings and/or last file recorded.

Camera only last almost 2 months :(

Seems like I have to replace battery but I'm not sure what battery replacement should I use ? What model ?

Any suggestions ?

I will appreciate your help.

-----------Original Post---------------
Hi,

My G1w has been working fine for weeks no problems at all, but today I noticed that my cam was NOT On automatically as usual after I started my car.

Now I have to unplug and plug the usb power cable in order to turn on the camera.

Check the cable and looks fine. I'm not sure what is going on.

Last edited:
Any suggestions ?

I will appreciate your help.

-----------Original Post---------------
Hi,

My G1w has been working fine for weeks no problems at all, but today I noticed that my cam was NOT On automatically as usual after I started my car.

Now I have to unplug and plug the usb power cable in order to turn on the camera.

Check the cable and looks fine. I'm not sure what is going on.

I just replaced my battery tonight in mine. It was only lasting about 45 seconds, but in the cold mornings, not for even a split second.
I measured the current draw of the unit and it was 350mA. Surprised it was that high.

Anyways, this is the cell I used. I already had a few on hand when I fixed a portable bluetooth speaker.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7568__ZIPPY_240mAh_20C_single_cell.html
pretty much an exact fit. Reuse the protection board from the old lipo cell in the camera.

Hi Dave2000, thank you for the replay.

I replaced my G1WH battery with this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B008MQ7QV0)

But it only last 2 weeks. Seems like camera is not charging battery at all.

Before when battery was low on charge I would see a blue led light when charging, now is only a red light.

The battery charging circuit probably died.

Have you got a multimeter to check the voltage before and after the USB is plugged in?

Mine started working weird too. The cam died immediately after I switch off the car. It started again with a Red X on the battery and died.
I have also ordered a new battery, hope to re-wire and get it working properly again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251493180340

Jeuda, I am having the same problem you are in that the camera starts again after turning off and showing a red x on the battery. Did the replacement battery work correctly?

Michelin Man, how would I go about checking the battery charging circuit as I don't get a blue light anymore while the camera is on?

Thanks.

Hi,

My G1W had similar issues. Corrupt video files and instant "low battery" shutdown when turning off the car's ignition.
I decided to replaced my G1W's original 170mAh battery to a 350mAh type. The original battery was humped like a balloon. Now everything is ok with the new one, even the runtime on battery improved. I don't have exact time value because it was not discharged on the 7km way to home (cca. 15 mins).
The space was barely enough for new battery but it fitted into the housing without damaging anything. :)
New battery specification:
Voltage: 3.7V
Capacity: 350mAh
Dimensions: 7x20x38mm (HxWxL)
Price: cca. 7USD
20150128_173436_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to replaced my G1W's original 170mAh battery to a 350mAh type. The original battery was humped like a balloon. Now everything is ok with the new one, even the runtime on battery improved.
The space was barely enough for new battery but it fitted into the housing without damaging anything. :)

Hi b0rZ.

Thank you for the interesting post and good photo.
This 702035 that you have managed to get into the camera, from the link that you included (350mAh) the dimensions appear to be 7 mm(H) 20 mm(W) 38 mm(L) where as if you do a search on eBay here and here it is reported as having dimensions of 7 mm(H) 20 mm(W) 35 mm(L). There appears to be a very tight squeeze and very little room for any larger battery.

What was the size (in mm) of the original battery that you removed from the camera?
Did it have any identification marks on it?

I am wondering if it is possible to obtain an even larger capacity battery with suitable dimensions. It would be good to order a suitable battery and have it as spare, (just in case). :)

Hi b0rZ.

Thank you for the interesting post and good photo.
This 702035 that you have managed to get into the camera, from the link that you included (350mAh) the dimensions appear to be 7 mm(H) 20 mm(W) 38 mm(L) where as if you do a search on eBay here and here it is reported as having dimensions of 7 mm(H) 20 mm(W) 35 mm(L). There appears to be a very tight squeeze and very little room for any larger battery.

What was the size (in mm) of the original battery that you removed from the camera?
Did it have any identification marks on it?
I am wondering if it is possible to obtain an even larger capacity battery with suitable dimensions. It would be good to order a suitable battery and have it as spare, (just in case). :)

You are welcome. :)
I would attribute the 3mm length difference to the fact that this battery has a protecting solution on the charging circuit made of some flexible insulator material (dark green area on top of battery), coated with some quite strong adhesive tape (white striped area all over the battery).

The old battery was a bit smaller (about 6x20x25mm). Only the capacity and voltage values was titled on it: 170mAh 4.0V
I don't really think if any significantly larger capacity battery would fit in the housing, but the colleagues will correct me if I'm wrong about this. ;)

I'm starting to have issues with my battery so I've ordered a 3/7v 320 mah. I have no problem getting to the battery, but the old one seems attached to the circuit board somehow. I can wiggle it, turn it a bit, but it doesn't seem to want to come loose. I don't want to force it. Any suggestions?

Guys, came back here becoz my replacement battery is not charging again. The intense summer heat in Singapore isn't helping much. Changing the battery may lend me to same result. Now I am looking at sism3477's capacitor solution.

Jeuda, I am having the same problem you are in that the camera starts again after turning off and showing a red x on the battery. Did the replacement battery work correctly?

It was working for 15 months till it died recently. I am now looking at sism3477's capacitor replacement.

Back