G1W-CB maximum filesize/recording time

Floppypancake

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone, after buying a G1W-CB from estore009 a couple of months ago I have been having contact about the maximum filesize/recording time of this camera. I have been searching on the forum and couldn't find an answer for the problem I am experiencing.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way around the maximum filesize of 4.1GB / approximately 45 minutes? Or, as an alternative, get the camera to automatically record a new file after it's done recording the 4,1GB/45mins? At the moment the camera stops recording after reaching it. So far Vicky from estore009 has been of great help sending me a replacement camera and even a 16GB SD card that she tested for me. Unfortunately this hasn't fixed the issue.
Setting the camera to loop record for 5 minutes is the alternative but isn't ideal if I want to record longer trips and edit the videos.

I had some hope when reading the G1WH could take other firmware but that quickly went away after reading the capacitor versions aren't compatible with it. I now have two camera's running on the 2014.0813.11 firmware, downgrading to 2013.1112.18 didn't help either.

The SD cards I have tried are:

- Kingston UHS-I class 10 SDC10/32B
- Adata UHS-I class 10 32GB
- Transcend UHS-I class 10 32GB (premium 300x)
- J-like UHS-I 16GB

If anyone can be of any help it will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• sdcard16gb.jpg
    sdcard16gb.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5
You'll have to go with 5 minute segments, and imo it's the best option.

Editing them isn't that hard, you just throw all the files on Movie Maker/iMovie/Premiere Pro and you're good.

short files are better, if you get a corrupt file you'll lose the lot

the files can easily be stitched together as one before editing if needed

Loop mode @ 5 minutes works well for most folks. 64GB cards aren't too expensive if you need more recording time.

Phil

Thanks for the answers so far, I can only hope this will be fixed in a newer firmware version. I will have a look at merging video files, I currently use Cyberlink Powerdirector. @SawMaster, I hope the three 32GB cards are enough for now.

If I put the camera on loop recording and the memory card is full, will it overwrite the oldest file? I'd rather see a message saying the card is full.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way around the maximum filesize of 4.1GB / approximately 45 minutes? Or, as an alternative, get the camera to automatically record a new file after it's done recording the 4,1GB/45mins? At the moment the camera stops recording after reaching it. So far Vicky from estore009 has been of great help sending me a replacement camera and even a 16GB SD card that she tested for me. Unfortunately this hasn't fixed the issue.
So that's how they tried to "fix the issue"? Sending a new camera and a new card that they tested? Tested for what? To see if it could hold a bigger file than what the file system allows? :eek:

Thanks for the answers so far, I can only hope this will be fixed in a newer firmware version.
No firmware is going to solve what is not really a problem.

If I put the camera on loop recording and the memory card is full, will it overwrite the oldest file? I'd rather see a message saying the card is full.
Yes, when the card is full it'll start overwriting older files.

There are only two ways about it: either you leave the loop recording off and record only 50 min of footage, or set the loop recording to whatever time suits you better and record at least 5h of footage in each card. If eventually you make longer trips you just have to monitor the time and replace the card after 5h to avoid the overwriting.

Hope this helped you decide. :)

No firmware is going to solve what is not really a problem.
I guesse it's a combination of firmware and software but I meant that it would be useful in a newer version to have the camera to start recording again automatically (loop recording for 20/30/40 mins) or turning the overwriting off manually.

I agree on the fact that it's not a solution to my issue but I have had an offer to send everything back and get a full refund. As far as customer service is concerned estore009 is doing a good job. I just think there is miscommunication about how they tested the SD card/camera and how I want it to work. That's why I have turned to this forum to clarify the possibilities. The downside is that sending it back will cost me enough to consider keeping everything.

No dashcam firmwares that I know of record loops longer than 10min (almost 1GB file recorded at 12Mbps), but then again I don't know every dashcam out there. We're talking huge size files here. I don't know why you prefer them to a, let's say, 5min (470-490MB@12Mbps). They're easy to work with when editing, if you want to use the whole file.
Just as an example, 470MB files takes almost, if not, 5min to load on Movie Maker. Now imagine how long 4.1GB files would take...
And you don't need to be "afraid" of the seams the loop recording creates between loops. Just use Registrator Viewer to join them together seamlessly, if you want to create a single file without editing.

Thanks for the tip on what software to use. I'm a bit spoiled as I'm used to a Veho Muvi HD10 which creates 4.1GB files (1080p@16 mbit/s) and keeps on recording after. Ideal for me because I mostly use the camera's for road trips. Using those files in Powerdirector has never been an issue, I also think it's because I'm helped by a fairly good PC with enough memory and a SSD. I will just have to adapt a bit and learn how to deal with the 5 minute files loop.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A G1WX 2
Back