G1W frozen, can't reset

kerunt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I picked up a G1W a while ago and have been using it in my car via the 12V accessory connector. Today I hard-wired the camera and my radar detector to the same accessory connector (tapped the wire), and ran both accessories via a single 7.5amp fuse.

As soon as I connected the camera and radar for the first time and turned the car on, the radar turned on fine, but the camera turned on its flash, the blue light came on, and that was it. Since then I'm unable to turn the camera on. Whenever it's connected to a power source (laptop or the car), the flash turns on to max and stays that way.

I've tried clicking the 'reset' button, and holding it down, but nothing happens. Any ideas for what else I can try? Or did I completely fry the camera? (There was a bit of burning smoke coming from it.)

electronics run on smoke, once the smoke comes out they don't run anymore ;)

seriously where there's smoke there's fire, sounds like you got something wrong and have fried it

The camera operates on 5V DC via the step down converter in the cigarette lighter adapter. It sounds from your description as if you connected it directly to 12V which would fry the unit.

The camera operates on 5V DC via the step down converter in the cigarette lighter adapter. It sounds from your description as if you connected it directly to 12V which would fry the unit.

Ah! Damn. Well, at least now I know about the converter. Will see if I can wire that in and get another one of these.

Thanks for the info.

// edit - there's even a sticker on the adapter that says so! Live and learn.

If you want to hardwire the next camera you buy you'll need something like one of these.

I took apart the adapter to have a look, and it's very simple to wire it in. But that little unit does look smaller & cleaner, so I might grab it, too.

Ordered two more of these cameras and two of those converters, too. Will set up a rear camera, too. Probably overkill, but with my recent experience of a semi truck changing lanes into the side of my car and then blaming it on me, I think it'll be a good insurance for an extra ~$80!

Back