G1W-HC?

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
That's the GearBest description. It's got supercaps and a Novatek 96650 processor and they claim an Aptina 0330 CMOS (I didn't look when I had it open). So is this really a G1WC? It would seem so.

And boy howdy, somehow they messed up my order. I received (and was billed for) 2 of these and some LiIon cells. I only ordered one G1WC (listed as such) with nothing else or so I thought. I remember the cells, I had looked at them a couple weeks ago but I never put them in my cart. Well, the price wasn't too bad and rather than go through the hassle and expense of a return I'll just keep it all as I can use it all. I will be double-checking my future orders with these people.

Phil

(ADDED Dec 19 2017):
This cam is no longer in production and I won't be updating this thread any longer.

Last edited:
Well, judging by this...

EFF15038062CCFF79E3F8D6AABEDFCBA_thumb.jpg

...I'd say it's real. And new! Unless this is a picture of someone's attempt at replacing a G1W-H's battery with capacitors.
Keep us posted on how it works.

Last edited:
I'll get some preliminaries this coming week; I'm taking a few days off from work to maintain whatever is left of my sanity. Should get one in as a rear cam in the workvan semi-permanently and will check the firmware version then, which should help tell what I've got.

Phil

I have e few "concerns" about Gearbest's description of the camera's specs: T651C, A118 capacitor version... It could be only the usual "lost in translation" thing but why referring to it that way? And the 'T' in the other reference... The new G1W-Hs with the crappy chipset are referred to as G1W-HT.
If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to pop them open to see what's inside.

their ads are all cut and paste efforts when updating or adding models, heaps of typos is quite normal, most of the staff there know nothing about the products so are none the wiser anyway

their ads are all cut and paste efforts when updating or adding models, heaps of typos is quite normal, most of the staff there know nothing about the products so are none the wiser anyway
That's why I have serious doubts, even about the posted picture. But I always like to keep an open mind about these "novelties", because we could be in for a nice surprise. ;)

The new G1W-Hs with the crappy chipset are referred to as G1W-HT.

Yeah, that's what worried me. AFAIK there's no G1W-HT or G1W-HC; the description is rather odd.

If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to pop them open to see what's inside.

Did that and was pleasantly surprised. I truly expected to see the GP chipset, not Novatek. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe it's just an odd product description but the $36.25US price made it worth trying. They're not DOA but no more testing yet.

I still stand by my usual advice of buying from reputable sellers. This was supposed to be just something tacked onto my order of other stuff to see if it was real. If I only wanted a cam and good customer service I wouldn't have taken the chance.

Phil

Any update on these? I saw them but couldn't find much information about them. Any improvements to the 3 year old G1WX lineup would be more than welcome!

Did that and was pleasantly surprised. I truly expected to see the GP chipset, not Novatek. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe it's just an odd product description but the $36.25US price made it worth trying. They're not DOA but no more testing yet.
I forgot to ask the most important question: does it have capacitors?

Yes, it has supercaps and apparently is the genuine G1Wc we're familiar with. This one also has the black lens trim, not chrome. Firmware version is 2016.01.06 and has all the usual menu options. My first install (non-stock) ended up with me pressing a button inadvertently which stopped the recording, but since then I've had it running 24/7 for 5 days using a Transcend Premium 300X 64GB Class 10 card. I do not recommend you do this as this is not a robust cam but it worked well and missed nothing until 5PM last night. On pulling the card to see how it had done this morning I noticed the mini-USB power plug felt loose and I discovered it had looped instead of having recorded all night. I'll check into that later. I had the focus distance set to 5M, loop set to 5 minutes, motion, and G-sensor (which they call "Gravity Sensitivity"), and LED illuminator off, and the other settings at default.

So for normal usage I think this is as good as G1Wc cams get. This is a genuine G1Wc at a very good price and unless something changes I can recommend this cam.

Phil

Yes, it has supercaps and apparently is the genuine G1Wc we're familiar with. This one also has the black lens trim, not chrome. Firmware version is 2016.01.06 and has all the usual menu options. My first install (non-stock) ended up with me pressing a button inadvertently which stopped the recording, but since then I've had it running 24/7 for 5 days using a Transcend Premium 300X 64GB Class 10 card. I do not recommend you do this as this is not a robust cam but it worked well and missed nothing until 5PM last night. On pulling the card to see how it had done this morning I noticed the mini-USB power plug felt loose and I discovered it had looped instead of having recorded all night. I'll check into that later. I had the focus distance set to 5M, loop set to 5 minutes, motion, and G-sensor (which they call "Gravity Sensitivity"), and LED illuminator off, and the other settings at default.
It works with 64GB cards? Well, that's new!

This is a genuine G1Wc (...)
Only it's not. It has the casing of the G1W-H, so technically it's a G1W-H with capacitors, which makes it a G1W-HC. ;)

Which other than the lack of chrome is the same case as the original G1w. For me it's all about what's inside- I can make the case any color I want :p And it's not a G1Wh as that model has the GeneralPlus chipset, while this one has the Novatek/Aptina combo. It's par for the course with these generic dashcams; each manufacturer/seller will be a little different from the others. I honestly expected less given the seller's description and I'm glad I was wrong :rolleyes:

BTW, you have to format the larger cards to FAT32 outside of the cam first, then they should work.

Phil

...And it's not a G1Wh as that model has the GeneralPlus chipset, while this one has the Novatek/Aptina combo....
Depends on the vintage. I have a (albeit older) G1W-H that is Novatek. Could also depend on the production facility.

It's par for the course with these generic dashcams; each manufacturer/seller will be a little different from the others. l

There are no real standards for the generics, but only a general understanding of terminology. The "H" model is understood by most to be a GP chipset even though there are variations. Yes, the first ones had the NT chipset, so does that automatically make the current production "H" models with the GP chipsets fake? I think not. They are a different cam though, so what applies to one doesn't apply to the other even when both are identical from the outside.

If you want to 'split hairs' regarding generics, then there are at least a dozen different cams now using the exact same name. I dare you to find them all and rename them while getting everyone to agree with using your new terminology :p Ain't gonna happen. And that is why the innards, not the case, usually matters most and why we have to add the chipset/CMOS to our descriptions so that everybody else will know exactly what we're talking about. It's cumbersome but the system works which is why most of us stick with it.

Phil

Anyone know how the G1W-HC compares to the G1W-CB functionally speaking? I was originally looking at the CB but wasn't sure what differences there were between the two cams other than the newer style case on the HC.

Thanks

The "H" model is understood by most to be a GP chipset even though there are variations. Yes, the first ones had the NT chipset, so does that automatically make the current production "H" models with the GP chipsets fake? I think not. They are a different cam though, so what applies to one doesn't apply to the other even when both are identical from the outside.
I think you making some confusion about the H. Only a handful of models came out recently with the GP chipset, all the thousands sold since 2013 had (and many still have) the Novatek chipset. No one who knows the H makes any automatic connection with the GP chipset. For me, the ones with the GP chipset are the exceptions, the rule is the Novatek.
But it wasn't exactly because of this that I said your camera was a H. I said it because the case is very different from the normal G1W, some buttons don't do the same functions, and despite the interiors seem the same, the firmwares aren't compatible. The differences are more than just cosmetic. This comes from someone who had both and know them very well. ;)

Anyone know how the G1W-HC compares to the G1W-CB functionally speaking? I was originally looking at the CB but wasn't sure what differences there were between the two cams other than the newer style case on the HC.

Thanks
It's not a "newer style case". That case has been around for ages, so to speak.

Which other than the lack of chrome is the same case as the original G1w.
Wait a minute: are you telling me that the camera you received it's not the one pictured HERE? o_O

It's not a "newer style case". That case has been around for ages, so to speak.

Sure its been around for a while, but there haven't been any major case revisions to the G1W lineup since the G1W-H/G1W-HC styled cases (w/ squared edges) came out, so it is technically the 'newer' style case vs. the original G1W/G1W-C/G1W-CB styled cases (w/ rounded edges).

Still looking for information regarding functional differences between this new revision (G1W-HC) and the older G1W-CB.

Last edited:
Back