G1W reloaded: Viofo G1W-S with Sony IMX323 CMOS

SNAFU solved. According to Amazon tracking my G1W-S was delivered Friday AM but my UPS store didn't have a notice in my box nor had I received the usual email notice. No email Saturday and I was late checking the box so they were closed. Still sans email notice, I went by there this morning and they had it :D So tonight it gets a bench test and tomorrow begins it's road testing, first in front to compare with Mobius then in back with a G1W-HC which if things go as I hope they do is where the G1W-S will stay. Vids and reviews soon ;)

Phil

just received My new Viofo G1W-S this morning, overall this looks a really good build compared to my old G1WH that I have been using, and video seem better through the day the bit I've taken that is. one thing I need to ask is, I have turned the IR light off. but every time you turn the camera off and then switch it back on the IR is back in the on menu and shows on screen as been on. as yet due to only getting this today I have not check if this LED light comes on once dark as it a total waste putting these things on a Camera. also you can not change the Date format to the UK style DD/M/YY
any knows what the latest version is please mine says 11

just received My new Viofo G1W-S this morning, overall this looks a really good build compared to my old G1WH that I have been using, and video seem better through the day the bit I've taken that is. one thing I need to ask is, I have turned the IR light off. but every time you turn the camera off and then switch it back on the IR is back in the on menu and shows on screen as been on. as yet due to only getting this today I have not check if this LED light comes on once dark as it a total waste putting these things on a Camera. also you can not change the Date format to the UK style DD/M/YY
any knows what the latest version is please mine says 11
The date issue is solved in new firmware, we will release it in few days.
No necessary to use the LED, doesn't make much sense.

I found that long pressing the power button turns the power on and off, but a short press turns the led on and off. Possible you were doing that.

Where is the antenna located in your vehicle? Is it external or is it integrated into the windshield?
On Ford Focus Second Generation it has located on the roof
images

That's probably the worst spot for the FM antenna being centered so close to where the DashCam would normally be mounted.

Here are some highlights of a review I did on this cam. I'm editing out the basic stuff which most of you know already ;)

-Build quality and the components used here are far better than the lesser versions built elsewhere

-The HDR function is on and appears to adjust for lighting changes very well. The resolution is on the highest setting. In daytime use there are no noticeable flaws in the images, but the images could be sharper. It seems very slightly out-of-focus compared to what I expected based on other G1W series cams so I may adjust that later on. There is a little edge distortion but far less than with many other wide-angle cams. Nighttime images are nearly as good as you can get for this type of cam. Those are somewhat grainy but that happens with all dashcams at night. I am very pleased with how well this cam does at night, and nothing else in it's price range even comes close. Even at double the price almost none do this well, and those few are only marginally better.

-After a weeks use I can say without reservation that this is the best night-time dashcam you'll find for under $100 and while it's daytime image quality can be beaten in that price range, what you'll get is stable in all lighting conditions and more than good enough

Your comments, questions, thoughts, and experiences with your G1W-S are welcome :D

Phil

I think all threads regarding the G1W-S should be put in Viofo's section. After all it's a branded G1W and has support from the manufacturer, not a generic unbranded camera like the other G1Ws in here.

I'm going to tag @DashCamMan so that he can create a new sub-section on Viofo's section and move these threads, if he wants to. :)

Yes, it's a Viofo-marketed cam but it is still a G1Wx cam no matter who made it ;)

We're not segregating cams branded "BlackBox" or "BluekySea" or the G1Wc's being sold by SpyTec so perhaps this shouldn't be happening here either.

And now the review I posted on Amazon in which I directed people to this thread in the G1Wx section of this forum has just been rendered useless as people coming from there will no longer be able to find info on the G1W-S without doing a site search, which many will not bother to do :(

Just my $0.02 worth @DashCamMan
Phil

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Viofo-marketed cam but it is still a G1Wx cam no matter who made it ;)

name a source for firmware for any other G1Wx camera though, you can't as they're all generic, they may have used a public housing but @viofo made their own PCB for this one, it would be the only G1Wx variant where you can actually get manufacturer support, the others all come from public design houses and there is no support offered

We're not segregating cams branded "BlackBox" or "BluekySea" or the G1Wc's being sold by SpyTec so perhaps this shouldn't be happening here either.

And now the review I posted on Amazon in which I directed people to this thread in the G1Wx section of this forum has just been rendered useless as people coming from there will no longer be able to find info on the G1W-S without doing a site search, which many will not bother to do :(

Phil
BlackBox, Blueskysea, or any other name they put on the G1W series cams, are not manufacturers, so they could never have a dedicated sub-forum. The cams may have a different name but deep down they're all the same. @jokiin has already pointed out the rest of the differences.

Can't you edit your review on Amazon and replace the old link with the new one?

It wasn't a link which would have probably been redirected- it was in text sending them to the G1W-S thread in the G1Wx forum. Amazon on OCD Tronic's sales page. I'll see if it can be edited; never done that before.

There's still too much blood in my coffee-stream this morning so I'm brewing more then I'll give it a try.

Phil

One option is to leave a permanent redirect in the G1Wx forum. That should allow users to find it from there. Will do that now.
Also note that direct links to a thread are still valid even if the thread is moved to another forum.

Back