G1W reloaded: Viofo G1W-S with Sony IMX323 CMOS

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
viofo.com just listed their version of G1W called Viofo G1W-S and I am sure the S comes from Sony CMOS because they already used the S for A119 version with Sony CMOS.

Unboxing and some interesting features:

g1w-s-car-dash-camera-suction-cup.jpg

What I observed from the first time:
- Sony IMX323
- full black
- 3 mounts, 360°: suction cup, adhesive mount, mirror mount.
- F1.6 lens (instead of F2.8)
- 145 degrees FOV (instead of 120 degrees)
- of course the capacitor powered remained so they not used a complicate name like G1W-CS

I don't know if lens quality or other things are improved, maybe @viofo will tell us more.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Compare with G1W-S version:

Another improvement is this one support GPS logger, GPS module sold separately, compatible with A118C/A118C2 GPS module.

I think you are right, but viofo was not speeding.
The @viofo car tests camera must have better cleaned windshields.
People should know that the comparison was done by using a genuine G1W-C camera and not a fake one. With a fake G1W-C I expect the differences to be more evident.

enjoy,
Mtz

In the clip shown, the -S definitely 'sees' more in the shadows and darkness but the -C has crisper image details. Perhaps the -S is a touch out of focus? Or a different lens? Still interesting to see an improved sensor- at least there's one G1Wx manufacturer not racing to the bottom :D Thanks Viofo!

Phil

The details also may relate to the HDR enabled on G1W-S.

The retail price for without GPS is only $59.9.

OK then post a comparison with WDR Off if you can.

enjoy,
Mtz

I added a video about G1W-S dashcam on the first post of this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

Fantastic reviews @Mtz and @viofo great device. Love the music on the comparison video that Viofo did - my favourite dash cam manufacturer by far!

In the unboxing video I noticed 3 mounts were involved. Is that going to be the norm with this cam? (I may have missed something as I had the audio muted and I skipped forward several times :rolleyes: Sorry but its been a tough day at work :p )

Phil

Compare with G1W-S version:
When will we start seeing these video samples of new cameras WITH THE ORIGINAL AUDIO? Video quality, for many people, isn't everything.

All 3 mounts are included in standard packages, you can see pictures from official webpage. You can see in the video the gift box was brand new because I worked so hard to open it. :D

g1w-s-car-dash-camera.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

All 3 mounts are included in standard packages, you can see pictures from official webpage. You can see in the video the gift box was brand new because I worked so hard to open it. :D

g1w-s-car-dash-camera.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz
Liking the new videos you posted of G1W-S versus A118C2/ A118C.

Makes sense as IMX 323 is similar to IMX 322 and picks up a lot more light (I reviewed Chupad D501) and found the same. Even with wider aperture the new A118C2 can't come close.

During day is not so big difference, I hope to post some videos. But I am more interested if when pressing pause on the video playback, the car numbers will be more visible.

enjoy,
Mtz

At the low price quoted I will have to try one :) That beats the Git1 as the lowest price cam with good low-light video recording. and it has caps where the Git1 doesn't. If it can withstand 24/7 usage I will end up with more than one, but so far no G1W series cam I've tried has been able to withstand that torture test.

I don't know how Viofo does such good cams at such good prices but I'm liking that :D

Phil

I consider the build quality of Git1 + IMX322 CMOS to be better than G1W-S + IMX323.

enjoy,
Mtz

I haven't seen enough on the G1W-S yet to form that opinion over as it's almost brand new to the market. And the Git1 is slightly more expensive so one should expect better from it. The general G1W-x build quality has slid downhill over time and this may (or may not) be any different for the G1W-S. As of right now Viofo does seem to be able to have good quality cams made in models where others can't seem to do that, so this one may be a nice surprise too- I certainly hope so ;)

Phil

(...) and it has caps where the Git1 doesn't.(...)
No action camera has capacitors but on the other hand they can work as a dashcam without the battery in them. At least the SJCAMs can.

Back