G1W-S - some questions

dg4prez

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just picked up a pair of G1W-S with GPS models, and I have some questions.

What are the best settings for parking mode? I've got the device on an always-powered fuse, and would like the thing to activate if the car is hit/nudged.

Do the alternate firmwares work for this model?

Is there any way to get the kph display to show mph?

Thanks!

You can use motion detection for parking, we will check if we can implement video recording activated by G-sensor in future firmware.
Will add speed unit option in next version.

If you want to record while away, you should power the camera via Vico-Power PLUS hard wire kit. I have mine set to record an additoinal 2 hours per parked event as it's not healthy to record 24/7. (too hard on the hardware, memory card, and vehicle battery life)
You can flip a switch to record longer than the timer mode as needed for special events, but again not good to record 24/7.

Thanks Viofo. Let me know if you need any assistance with beta testing features out.

Thank you to OCD as well, though that's more than I want to pay for a timer.

I attempted to use the motion detection feature today. It records for a very short period of time - less than ten seconds from what I could tell. I don't know if that's a bug or what, but it's not at all useful.

Motion detect isn't terribly useful without pre-buffering which this cam doesn't do. Between detection activation and the cam starting to record the event there will be a slight delay. It's like this with most 'economy' dashcams and all of the G1W series cams.

Phil

My g1w-s arrived today, bought without GPS as I have an a118 gps module, but they don't wanna work together. I'm guessing its just a case of plugging in the GPS module and it's meant to just do its thing? And that would just mean my gps module doesn't work..?

Also, is there no manual event save function by pressing a button like older G1W cams?

Just heads up after looking at some down loaded footage using Dashcam Viewer and Registration Viewer programmes these have yet to be configured with this camera with the GPS. at first I thought it was my camera or the GPS module but as the camera is showing the true speed. I counted this out. and after seeing other peoples reviews on YouTube etc.... I noticed that their speed was not matching the cameras GPS speed. I'm unsure if there is any more software programmes out there that as been tried and tested for this model camera.

Haven't had time to post my stuff; I've been scrambling to lock in a business deal at the other end of the state and I've got only this evening to relax in before life (and hopefully my income :D ) takes off like a rocket :cool:. If nobody else does I'll get traveler an raw file when I can but that may be yet another week :(

Phil

Hello!
I think this is corect place for my question. How many days should hold time and date settings of power inactivity ? Currently after 3 days of power inactivity time/date settings disappeared.

Try plugging the camera into a power source overnight to give it a nice soak charge. maybe the rechargeable RTC button battery needs a good long recharge. If the date doesn't hold longer than three days after that you'll need a replacement camera unfortunately. It should last at least a month'ish

Try plugging the camera into a power source overnight to give it a nice soak charge. maybe the rechargeable RTC button battery needs a good long recharge. If the date doesn't hold longer than three days after that you'll need a replacement camera unfortunately. It should last at least a month'ish

Thank you, I will try this solution.

Answer from seller:

"Thank you for contacting SpyTec Customer Service!
Our G1W-S is a capacitor based device, and does not have a battery installed in the unit. The capacitor would normally be able to store the settings for a few days without power being connected. If you continue to notice this issue, I'll ask that you try resetting the device. With it powered on, please press and hold the reset button at the side of the unit for about 15 seconds. Then try again to use the device as you normally would. If the issue continues, please let us know."

New User :) Other than the seller (and GPS module included) what is the difference between these two? SpyTec seller: B01MU5Z57I
and the VIOFO seller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MUSMZHQ
Hoping for an urgent reply. Need to get a Dash Cam for a long trip next weekend (getting married and honeymooning) :)
TIA

Hello, We both have the same product for sale. We always give great support should you need it. Congrats on the marriage and enjoy your honeymooning!

Hello, We both have the same product for sale. We always give great support should you need it. Congrats on the marriage and enjoy your honeymooning!

Awesome!!! The first dash cam we bought from China worked less than 1 day. Excited to get one that actually works

Thanks so much for the congrats

Back