G1W stops recording

Wes

Reaction score
Country
United States
My G1W was working great for many weeks. Unfortunately it has developed a strange behavior.

At first, it would stop recording every once in a while. I could tell when, because the screen would come on, the time would show "3:11" and the recording indicator (red blinking circle) would not be visible. Clicking the "REC" button would cause the time shown to change (to something like "4:27" or "5:08"), and another press of the "REC" button would cause it to start recording again. Since this only happened about once a week, I wasn't too worried. Plus, I could tell when it was happening.

Lately, it stops recording all the time. What is worse, the screen stays off, so I don't know when it is occurring. If I press the "zoom out" button I can see if it is recording or not. When it is not recording, pressing "REC" twice (as before) gets it to start again. Sometimes it will keep recording for 20 minutes or so, sometimes it will fail again after another 3 minutes and 11 seconds. One time, it showed 3 minutes and 12 seconds.

Any guesses, or others with similar problem? I am thinking about purchasing another one, perhaps this one just went bad...

Purchased from estore009
using 64GB SDHC card (I believe it is sandisk) CORRECTION: using SAMSUNG 64GB card

Last edited:
I encountered a similar problem this week with a 16gb sandisk card. I contacted foxoffer who said the NTK processor has reported problems with the sandisk card. I was told to use a transcend card. have ordered one so I will see how that goes.

Thanks joklin and nixlux for the suggestion. Checked the memory card...

It is actually a SAMSUNG 64GB Pro microSDXC Extreme Speed (UHS-1) Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MGCGB/AM)
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/B009SK57ZQ)

I am willing to try a new card (32GB, different manufacturer, etc), but I'm suspicious since there had been many weeks of trouble-free recording before it started acting up.

Nixlux, who is foxoffer, would they have info about samsung cards? Which transcend card did you order?

Foxoffer is a website/seller recommended by a few people here. Im going to try a 32gb transcend class 10 which was what I was told to get.

Checked the format on my card, it was exFAT. It is now re-formatted (using the SmartDisk FAT32 formatter program), I'll report back on camera behavior after a few days...

thanks again for everyone's help!

After formatting the card with SmartDisk FAT32 formatter, the camera seemed to be working fine. Only one recording stoppage in about a week and a half. Then, all of a sudden today, it would not record and the screen had a blue box that said "MEMORY ERROR". I took out the card and tried to read the files off it, but they were corrupted. Reformat attempts were unsuccessful... from camera menu, from Windows 7 via camera, and Windows 7 via MicroSD reader.

I now believe the memory card to be dead.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Now time to get a replacement card...

Replacement card in place, the camera is still having issues.
At first, it appeared to be working fine. After about 10 minutes, it stopped recording and the screen only showed the video (no text overlay). None of the buttons did anything. I tried pressing and holding down each button, no use. Unplugged it and waited for the battery to die. Plugged it back in... same thing... video showing, but no text overlay and no buttons responding. Ejected the memory card and it shut off by itself. When turned back on, it said "INSERT SD CARD" for about 5 seconds and then that message went away, and in the bottom right corner where the SD card image normally is, it showed what looked like a microchip with the letters "INT" on it. When the memory card was plugged back in, it shut off again.

I pulled out the memory card and used the "SD Formatter 4.0" tool (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/) to reformat the card, then plugged it in. No help, same symptoms.

After pulling the card out and putting it back in about 3 more times, it magically started working again. That was last night. This morning, on the way to work (about a 30 minute drive), at some point it stopped recording. So now I'm back to the original problem...

I am now thinking that the camera is defective, and that it damaged my original memory card. Next step is to order a new camera (estore009 on ebay has a newer version of the G1W with 320mAh battery, has anyone had experience with this one?)

Another next step is going to be taking the camera apart tonight to look for obvious signs of failed components. I'll post pics if anything interesting is found.

hi there, I'm having similar issues. the camera switches off while driving and at times I find it's not recording... any ideas on how to sort this nuisance?
I'll try to take the screen protection off in case that's an issue?
thanks!

Yes,just one simple test on camera to see if it can work or not?
Remove memory card from camera,and then plug into car cig lighter for power source,if it can power on,it indicates this is the problem of memory card!
So,you can have a try to format memory card by computer firstly or just switch other brand card!
If it can not power on under this status,please go ahead to ship camera back for replacement or refund!

hi, thanks for the reply.

Jokiin

I am not sure as I did a factory reset by mistake yesterday night and it was then off.. I'll do some more test-drive and see what happens,
the card is a class 6 Samsung... what would be the problem with that?

estore009
the camera is working even without card... so what the issue might be.

thank you both!

So, as stated before, the replacement card combined with the G1W camera was still having issues. I ordered the newer version of the G1W camera, popped in the memory card, and everything has been fine for about a month and a half now. Only one time did it stop recording. I like how the newer camera has a blue light that flashes when it is recording, gives me comfort even when the screen is blank that the camera is indeed still working.

Now, what to do with the old G1W that is having issues, time to take it it apart to look for damage...

hi, thanks for the reply.

Jokiin

I am not sure as I did a factory reset by mistake yesterday night and it was then off.. I'll do some more test-drive and see what happens,
the card is a class 6 Samsung... what would be the problem with that?

estore009
the camera is working even without card... so what the issue might be.

thank you both!
If cannot power on without memory card,it indicates that its battery was dead or camera faulty!
So,contact us for warranty then!

Well it happened again with the new G1W (the one with the 320mAh battery). Camera clock reverted to 2000/02/15, and recording length indicator stopped at 3:12. blue light kept flashing. When I stopped the recording, the time (the 3:12) jumped up to what I presume was the correct amount of time. I haven't checked the recordings yet. This thing is less 4 months old!!! ARGGHHG

I've got the G1W-C and it started to either lock up or stop recording on almost a regular occurrence (power-cycling usually fixes it for a bit until it locks up again).

Pic of it locked up below:
aeNFqgE.jpg

I'm using a Patriot 64GB which was formatted by the camera itself (it would not work otherwise).
Anyways, I did notice that when this locking-up issue occurs, the microSD is low on space so I cleared it out and it seems to be okay for now (the every other lockup has disappeared for the last few days).
My guess is it may be software related for my particular case.
Anyone else have similar observations?

I've got another G1W-C coming so I'll try it on it as well.

works fine when it's not nearly full too.

Back