G1W-X, 170 degrees?

Annex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I noticed there is apparently a new version of the G1W, the G1W-X, which features a 170 degree and 5 megapixel upgrade as seen here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SX88JIQ
This seems brand new as its not even sold in Canada yet. Anyone have any other info on this? Is it just a spring/2015 refresh of the G1W-H? Worth waiting for?

170 degree lens would be 135 horizontal max, they just quote some figures off the lens spec sheet which don't always relate to the sensor it's used with

5mp I'm not sure where they're getting that from, it's still the AR0330 which is 3.5mp

personally I doubt it has any connection to the G1W-H models other than being similar hardware spec (dozens of these use the same) and a similar name

it won't be 170, the sellers just state whatever is printed on the box or in the manual, it's all very generic

My G1W-H is advertised at being 160 degrees while my SG9665GC is 135 degrees. In side-by-side testing the SG9665GC is slightly wider. It's all marketing. :eek:

We publish the actual values, if I went by the lens spec sheet its a bigger number but its a total value rather than the real achieved value, its still accurate in one respect as a lens measurement but not what it will do in actual use, no prizes for guessing which set of numbers most would use ;)

Well, "they" say the G1W-H has 20 degrees more that the G1W but the FOV is exactly the same!

Last edited:
They are talking about lens' specifications, not of video the camera takes. ;)

They are talking about lens' specifications, not of video the camera takes. ;)

there's some truth to that, the numbers quoted may belong to the lens, but that may not necessarily have any relationship to the end result

there's some truth to that, the numbers quoted may belong to the lens, but that may not necessarily have any relationship to the end result
If that lens is matched with proper sensor, it may be able to do 170.
It could be like dslr lens, use with T2i, you only get C-size sensor quality but if used with 5D, it's full size sensor pictures even though the lens is the same.

If that lens is matched with proper sensor, it may be able to do 170..

the lens will have different spec based on which sensor it is being used with, different application gives different results, they generally misquote it and choose the largest number listed (bigger numbers are better right?) rather than the one that matches the rest of the hardware

Another example is tires.
Tires have speed rating of up to 125mph, up to 150 mph, up to 175 mph etc... but when that 175 mph tire is used on a Corolla, one can advertise as "Corolla with 175 mph tires" but it can only go up to 125 mph max regardless of whether the tires itself can go 175 or not. :D

Hello, I just bought 1 new g1w-x after m g1w died (3 years under heavy tropical sun, it's fair!).

I do not see any difference, is there any ?

In the settings it is written:

g1w x2016 v1.0

Is there a newer version ? Or did I get the latest one ?

Thank you.

it's a generic product, it's very hard to know if there are newer versions, in this type of thing newer isn't always better though, most often newer versions are about how to make it cheaper

if it works good best to leave it alone and keep it working :)

Back