G1WC Can't Record Past 4GB (No Loop)

dankup

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi folks, been tackling this issue and can't figure it out, looking for some advice.

I want to record 1 file with my G1WC, 32gb worth of video (I have a 32gb SD card in there). I select the "no loop" option on my cam and let it record. The cam automatically stops recording once the video hits 4gb and does not record any further, even though there is still 28gb worth of space. I formatted the SD card with exFat, which should record longer than 4gb in 1 file.

What gives? Is there any way to record 1 big file worth the whole SD card without it cutting off @ 4gb?

Could you mind to tell us more datails on its setting?

the camera has a hard limit of 4gb due to the FAT32 file system, it can't dynamically alter that limitation just by using a card formatted with the exFAT file system, best to stick to FAT32 also

even the file is not one long recording if you set it to loop it will record continuously

I formatted the SD card with exFat, which should record longer than 4gb in 1 file.
The moment you switch the camera on with the exFAT card inside it'll say the card needs to be formatted and it's back to FAT32 again. :rolleyes:

I would be surprised if it worked with any kind of reliability using exFAT anyway
I'm almost 100% sure it won't even work. In all my experiences with exFAT cards in the G1W-H I always got the "Please Insert Card" message.

The moment you switch the camera on with the exFAT card inside it'll say the card needs to be formatted and it's back to FAT32 again. :rolleyes:

Actually, cam works perfectly fine with an exFat card inside it. Just the same as if the card was Fat32. It only says "please insert sd card" when the card is formatted using NTFS. So that's my issue. The cam works without issues when I put the exFat card in, why can't it record longer than 4gb since the exFat format allows it?

So that's my issue. The cam works without issues when I put the exFat card in, why can't it record longer than 4gb since the exFat format allows it?
@jokiin has already answered that question:

the camera has a hard limit of 4gb due to the FAT32 file system, it can't dynamically alter that limitation just by using a card formatted with the exFAT file system, best to stick to FAT32 also

Thanks guys, guess I'll keep hitting the record button every time the 4gb is full

Thanks guys, guess I'll keep hitting the record button every time the 4gb is full

having it set to loop will be far more reliable than having to remember to keep pressing record, assuming you notice it has stopped, would save you losing video also

having it set to loop will be far more reliable than having to remember to keep pressing record, assuming you notice it has stopped, would save you losing video also

I agree with you but if I set it to 2/3/5 minute loops the videos overlap each other. I want to record one file going on a road trip and not need hours to edit it removing overlapped pieces of video.

I agree with you but if I set it to 2/3/5 minute loops the videos overlap each other. I want to record one file going on a road trip and not need hours to edit it removing overlapped pieces of video.
RegistratorViewer can collate the clips into one file & strip out the overlap in seconds with just a few keystrokes.

Overlap is only 1 sec per file.
If you use 5 minutes clip, 1 second every 5 minutes is not a big deal.

as pointed out you don't need hours to edit it, Registrator Viewer has a setting specifically for this and you can export as one file without re-encoding which happens in a matter of seconds, not the same camera but if you check our user manual the settings for overlap and export are detailed in the manual http://www.mediafire.com/view/8wcjfaf8sb19quf/SG9665GC_User_Manual.pdf

Back