G1WH hardwire, will 2amps be okay for 1.5amps?

Broody

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a G1WH and the Cig charger has died. I'm now wanting to hardwire. The camera is 1.5amps, I've seen this kit which is 2amps,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071H6MK1R
now the thing that confuses me is that does the kit SEND 2amps to the camera or does the camera need a minimum of 1.5amp to DRAW that ampage from the kit? I don't want to fry my camera. Also have this fuse connector, will that be ok to put on the hardwire kit? (Ignore the cig socket, this was a previous idea.
20180702_221042.jpg

Thank you

A USB powered device will only draw what it needs so no problem as long as you supply the minimum it needs.

What amp fuse should I put in for the hardwire kit? Anything above 2a?

What amp fuse should I put in for the hardwire kit? Anything above 2a?
2A should be fine for that camera. You don't want to go much higher than what the camera is supposed to draw because you want the fuse to 'blow' if there's a problem. It's there to protect the car, not the camera.

2A should be fine for that camera. You don't want to go much higher than what the camera is supposed to draw because you want the fuse to 'blow' if there's a problem. It's there to protect the car, not the camera.

I only have minimum of 5amp fuse in my selection box, can I use that?

So I fitted it all, however the fuse socket I used is an ignition live one, with ignition on the sockets read 12.30v on the 'hot' one and 7 on the other? However others read 12.30 on the hot and 0 on the other? However the one I want to use is the only ignition live one available, will it be ok? I did put the fuse tap with the 'hot' pin on the higher 12.30v of the fuse socket. The fuse is one not used by my car as I don't have aircon.

Last edited:
Back