G1WH Issues

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there,

I am new to this forum since this is my first dashcam. I got the G1WH from Gearbest as a christmas gift from my wife. But its been a headache since day one.

First, the rubber suction cup broke from the plastic bracket within the first 3 hourse of use. The dash cam just fell off my windshield with no reason. I contacted Gearbest and they gave me all kinds of reason not to replace my unit. After a couple dozens messages, they finally agreed to send me a new mounting clip.

Took over two months to get it; but after I received it, I charged my cam fully to reinstall it in the car (Dont forget its been sitting for 3-4 months) But now, it powers on no problem and image is showing, but as soon as I release the power button, it shuts down automatically; even when plugged in the power socket.

I tried multiple things :
1- Tried to contact Gearbest again; they wont do anything.
2- Tried to upgrade the firmware; didnt change a thing.
3- Tried to charge the cam through usb port, light socket in the car; same results. The battery level shows as full.

The cam can work for as long as I hold the button, but as soon as I release it; its gone.

Did anybody experience anything similar? I'm about to just throw that thing in the garbage.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to DCT, Jean-Francois!

Why do you have to turn the camera on manually? It should turn automatically on when you supply power to it.
You don't need to charge the battery. It'll charge when in use in the car.
What are you powering the camera with in the car? Its adapter or a car's USB port?

It doesnt turn on automatically, but I see the charging light being lit. I use my lighter power adapter supplied with the camera.

Since the battery meter shows as full and that the charging light being lit when its plugged in; I dont think its the cable or power supply that's defective.

It should turn on automatically. Does the camera have Motion Detection turned on or off?

I'll double check tonight but i'm pretty sure its on. I also tried a factory reset when I flashed the firmware to be sure I didnt change an option I shouldnt have changed.

Besides, I think I remember having in the car for a couple days, plugged in, and it just wouldnt work; except if I held the button.

If it's on, turn it off and see if the camera starts recording when powered up.

Has the camera ever started recording automatically upon being powered?

Yep, it did in the few hours between the opening of the box and the moment where the suction cup decided to part ways with the bracket that clips on the camera. Then the camera sat for a couple months while I was trying to settle this with Gearbest, but it started behaving as soon as I was ready to reinstall it in the car.

Motion Detection was on or off?

Turn it off and see how the camera behaves.

It does the absolute same thing. The second I release the power button, it shuts off, either with motion detector on or off.

And now I noticed that every second boot, it asks me to insert the sd card, even if its in there. I'm starting to think I got a lemon.

It does the absolute same thing. The second I release the power button, it shuts off, either with motion detector on or off.
One thing that's been bugging me since the beginning is why you have to keep pressing the power button to turn the camera on when usually it only takes a short press. :confused:
Anyway, I assume it's still not turning on automatically when you power it with an external power source, so there's probably something wrong with it.
One last thing: what card are you using (brand and size) and have you tried it with no card inserted in the camera?

Because a short press does nothing; as simple as that ;) It used to work this way, and it also used to turn on automatically and start recording right away when a power source is detected, but not anymore.

Its a Kingston 2gb card which always worked fine before. Even without a card, the camera behave the same.

Because a short press does nothing; as simple as that ;) It used to work this way, and it also used to turn on automatically and start recording right away when a power source is detected, but not anymore.

Its a Kingston 2gb card which always worked fine before. Even without a card, the camera behave the same.
I'm surprised it supports a card that small.

Oops its a 4gb; my mistake.

I never had the chance to "use" the camera properly, so I took the only mini sd that I had on hand. Never had the chance to used it long enough to know if a 4gb was enough or not.

Back