khannan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings,

I have a suction cup mount that looks like this --
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00HMNFWYW
(Notice the vertical standing plastic)

Now -- while the camera has tightly snapped into place, I'm having trouble *removing* it from the mount! In order to remove the dashcam, I have to also remove the suction cup mount completely.

Has anyone experienced this?

Perhaps this isn't a problem and the tight fit is excellent considering road conditions. However, I'm considering moving the mount to another position or hardwiring. Also, a mount may wear out over time so I need to be able to remove the camera to snap it onto a new one later.

I may not be using enough force or missing something really fundamental.

Any insights would help. Thanks for reading so far.

Hi khannan,

I've only had my G1WH for a few days and it has the same mount fixing as yours.
I had exactly the same problem....I fitted the mount onto the camera and then couldn't remove it no matter how hard I tried!
I did previously read that it could be a tight fit and so gave the fitting a smear of silicon beforehand. I was therefore surprised that I just couldn't slide it off again.
Much to my disgrace and embarrassment, after 10 minutes or so of trying and concern, I discovered I was trying to slide it off in the wrong direction....
What a complete idiot. I doubt many people are as stupid as me, and it may just be that yours is actually jammed.
Now it's simple.......I just push on the little vertical tongue, whilst at the same time slightly lifting the fitting up, and then slide in the direction of the power button, and Hey Presto the camera is easily removed from the mount.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
@johnboymmxv is exactly right. You just need to remember which way to slide the camera and get the right touch with your index finger while doing that. Still, it can be difficult with many (but not all) of this style mount to remove the camera. If the problem persists, one thing you can do is gently sand the mounting foot with a fine grade of sandpaper until it has a little more room to slide easier. Do just a little sanding at a time so as not to overdo it. You don't want the camera to come off too easily or wiggle in its mount. Sometimes, depending on how often you mount and remove the camera, it will just break in and no sanding is required.

Last edited:
I got it out!

Most annoying and actually nicked my finger and saw blood!
(Yes, a little melodramatic in description, but did happen!)

Thanks @johnboymmxv and @Dashmellow.
I'm glad I didn't break this.

Next -- need to hard wire and find a nearby place who can help do it. I'm not handy with these things. The camera quality is great and the camera doesn't wobble on this mount.

Definitely not my favorite dash cam mounting scheme but it works. My Gt300W which has the same mount as the G1WH took me forever to remember which way to slide the damn thing when I wanted to remove it. Now, it's second nature and it pops right out smoothly.

This style of mount is fairly common as it is shared with other similar cameras. If yours should ever break, or you want a different mount type, they are widely available. This eBay link will provide some examples. (also HERE)

I got it out!

Most annoying and actually nicked my finger and saw blood!
(Yes, a little melodramatic in description, but did happen!)

Thanks @johnboymmxv and @Dashmellow.
I'm glad I didn't break this.

Next -- need to hard wire and find a nearby place who can help do it. I'm not handy with these things. The camera quality is great and the camera doesn't wobble on this mount.

I just got a G1W-C and I also have this same issue. I had a fairly tough time getting the mount on (it was a tight fit) but I didn't think much of it because I wanted to be sturdy.

But when it came time to removing it, I couldn't do it. I knew the direction it was supposed to come out was awkward but it's even worse while the suction cup is mounted to the windshield.

When you pull back on the tab, you put your thumb on the left side of the cam for pressure... But you're supposed to simultaneously slide the camera out of the mount to the left, which means you can't put your thumb there. But once I remove my thumb I lose pressure on the tab so it won't budge.

I seriously have no idea how to remove this thing without taking the whole suction cup off and manhandling it, at the risk of breaking the plastic.

Side-note: I've been looking for a t-slot style quick release mount so that I can just press a button and release the mount without dealing with the t-slot mechanism but I haven't found any. Anyone else have suggestions?

Side-note: I've been looking for a t-slot style quick release mount so that I can just press a button and release the mount without dealing with the t-slot mechanism but I haven't found any. Anyone else have suggestions?
There's always this one:

U-type suction cup mount.png

It fits as tightly as the other one and it's much easier to take the camera out.

There's always this one:

It fits as tightly as the other one and it's much easier to take the camera out.

Interesting... though the G1W mount point is so weak that it flexes around when I try to remove the t-slot mount, making me think I'm going to break the plastic shell. That would make this mount hard to use too because it requires twisting.

Where did you find that one for sale?

Interesting... though the G1W mount point is so weak that it flexes around when I try to remove the t-slot mount, making me think I'm going to break the plastic shell. That would make this mount hard to use too because it requires twisting.
No it doesn't. That twisting part you see in the picture is just the East/West adjustment. The part that goes in the slot is below and it's the same as the one in the locking clip mount. And yeah, the slot where the mount inserts is very flimsy and if you remove the camera too many times it won't hold the camera steady anymore, unless you put something inside the slot that will fill the gap. Been there, done that. ;)

No it doesn't. That twisting part you see in the picture is just the East/West adjustment. The part that goes in the slot is below and it's the same as the one in the locking clip mount. And yeah, the slot where the mount inserts is very flimsy and if you remove the camera too many times it won't hold the camera steady anymore, unless you put something inside the slot that will fill the gap. Been there, done that. ;)

Oh, so it's still a t-slot style mount then? Hmm.

I just ordered one of these rear view mirror mounts (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00KM9A5F4)

If I am able to remove the suction cup mount without breaking the camera mount slot, I sure hope this one fits a bit easier so I can take it out whenever I want. I guess no one has a true quick release mount for t-slots because by design it's supposed to be easy to remove. Too bad it sounds like it's either way too tight or way too loose for most use cases.

Lesson learned: Next time get a cam with a tripod style mount.

Oh, so it's still a t-slot style mount then? Hmm.

I guess no one has a true quick release mount for t-slots because by design it's supposed to be easy to remove. Too bad it sounds like it's either way too tight or way too loose for most use cases.
Maybe I didn't explain myself well. The one I showed you in the picture is not a quick release mount but it's the only t-slot mount I know in which you can easily remove the camera without separating it from the t-slot: just unscrew the bolt from the suction cup and leave the rest of the mount attached to the camera.

Lesson learned: Next time get a cam with a tripod style mount.
I already have a suction cup mount with a tripod screw. Now I need a camera to attach to it. ;)

Ah, yes so the unscrewing of the bolt is what I was referring to when I said it would require twisting. It's definitely not a bad idea though, I just couldn't find any of those mount styles on any store.

The rear view mirror mount that I ordered arrived and I successfully installed it today.

First thing to note is that in an attempt to actually remove my cam from the suction cup mount that it comes with, I struggled so much that I ended up breaking off the handle that locks the camera in its place once it's installed into the t-slot (why this thing even exists is beyond me, and I will likely break it off completely if I decide to use it again in the future). Eventually, I had to use a razor blade to get the camera free.

Happily, the rear view mirror mount's t-slot is much better and not as tight (it does not contain any locking mechanism either, thankfully). I am able to mount the camera and unmount it very easily and now the G1W-C is stealthier by not having a shiny suction cup attached to the glass. And I don't have to worry about the cold or heat messing with the suction either.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire the power line around my dash so it's not just dangling down. The only downside to the rear view mirror mount? It is still possible to move the ball bearing around a bit even when tightened. Hopefully it stays put.

Back