G1WH Not Taking Firmware Update

austonn lazoff

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a G1WH off of Amazon, company that it come from was Spytec....

The Unit seems to be legit. The timestamp is on the bottom left portion of the video but... the videos do come in 1080p .MOV format.

I was trying to update the firmware to a different version. My current version that is on my unit is G1WH-DA380-2014.11.28.03....

I was hoping to update to something else, like DOD LS388W.....

When I add the .bin file to my root directory on my MicroSd card, I change the filename to FWDM800H.bin, and then I add the MicroSD card to my Unit and it does nothing. The unit boots up like normal, does not change the firmware at all..

I was hoping someone has insight into why this process may not be working for me?

I am using a 32gb Class 10 Samsung MicroSD card.

Thanks!

The Unit seems to be legit. The timestamp is on the bottom left portion of the video but... the videos do come in 1080p .MOV format....
Every G1W-H video I've seen had the time stamp in large digits on the bottom right.

I purchased a G1WH off of Amazon, company that it come from was Spytec.......
Was it fulfilled by Amazon? There have been reports that Amazon sometimes sends the wrong product or a product supplied from a vendor other than what was listed.

...I was trying to update the firmware to a different version....
Why? Is the camera not working properly?

When I add the .bin file to my root directory on my MicroSd card, I change the filename to FWDM800H.bin, and then I add the MicroSD card to my Unit and it does nothing. The unit boots up like normal, does not change the firmware at all..

I was hoping someone has insight into why this process may not be working for me?...
Because the camera is looking for a file with a different name.

"Was it fulfilled by Amazon? There have been reports that Amazon sometimes sends the wrong product or a product supplied from a vendor other than what was listed."

-This was fulfilled by Amazon.. if I find out it is fake then I that was going to be my next step by going to them.

"Why? Is the camera not working properly?"

-I prefer the timestamp on the bottom left so I thought a new firmware version would be able to provide that.

"Because the camera is looking for a file with a different name."

-Any idea on the different name it would be looking for if it was using that firmware?

.. if I find out it is fake then I that was going to be my next step by going to them.

If the date/time stamp is not in the bottom right it's probably not a 'genuine' G1W-H.

-Any idea on the different name it would be looking for if it was using that firmware?

That would depend entirely on what camera it is that you do have. Can't help on that issue.

Also keep in mind that if you do manage to successfully install the new F/W but it's not compatible with the camera you could end up bricking it.

Every G1W-H video I've seen had the time stamp in large digits on the bottom right.
That's with the normal 201x.xxxx firmwares and, again, not all of them. For example, the G1W I bought in February came with the 2014.1208 version and the time stamp was on the left because the firmware already had the "LicenseNo Set" option.
Check the snapshots I took from the videos I recorded with my G1W-H with the DA380 firmware (they're on the "G1W-H can take firmware from..." thread) and you'll see it.

Last edited:
I was trying to update the firmware to a different version. My current version that is on my unit is G1WH-DA380-2014.11.28.03....

I was hoping to update to something else, like DOD LS388W...

(...) When I add the .bin file to my root directory on my MicroSd card, I change the filename to FWDM800H.bin, and then I add the MicroSD card to my Unit and it does nothing. The unit boots up like normal, does not change the firmware at all.
To my knowledge, there are only two names you can rename the G1W-H's firmwares with: FWDM800H and FWS1088. If your camera didn't flash with the first than it's the second.
Take some time to check this thread https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ls388w-shadow-gt300w-1306180-and-others.5348/. You'll find it very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello forum, same here.
I have version S1o88_M_Ver 1.0 1420 2013.07.31 of PCB
I have renamed to
FWDM800H.bin
FWS1088.bin
FW96650A.bin
tried a bunch of sdcards little or bigger. Fat32 Fat16. Formated in Linux, winxp, in camera,
and none of them worked.

Anybody, another name of *.bin?
There is a special combination of buttons to put camera in flash mode?
something else?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello forum, same here.
I have version S1o88_M_Ver 1.0 1420 2013.07.31 of PCB
I have renamed to
FWDM800H.bin
FWS1088.bin
tried a bunch of sdcards little or bigger. Fat32 Fat16. Formated in Linux, winxp, in camera,
and none of them worked.

Anybody, another name of *.bin?
There is a special combination of buttons to put camera in flash mode?
something else?

Thank you
Like I wrote above, I only know those two names. After you put the card in the camera did you turn it on, either with an external power supply or with its own power, provided the battery was charged?

WP_20150609_09_41_24_Pro.jpg

Thank you jokiin. I was thinking this is my problem.

It is hard trying to guess the right name for firmware.

@Module 79L
I followed al the steps, even with few different sdcards, different formatting, etc.
With camera off inserted card and after powering the camera with original power supply connected. The camera start to record.
The problem here is the name of *.bin file.

So I update my question.
Anybody recognizing this pcb, had luck with certain name of firmware?

Last edited:
@Module 79L
I followed al the steps, even with few different sdcards, different formatting, etc.
With camera off inserted card and after powering the camera with original power supply connected. The camera start to record.
Hope you didn't mind my question. I was just checking, since you didn't mention it. :)

it's quite old, it might not take too well to newer firmware
What do you mean by "old"? That PCB is exactly the same as in my G1W-H, bought this year! And mine can't be that "old" because it came with a January 2015 firmware.

Hope you didn't mind my question. I was just checking, since you didn't mention it. :)
My fault also. :)

Do you have same pcb? And worked?
What brand of sdcard, size? Did you format in camera or computer? Which firmware?
Thank you.

it's quite old, it might not take too well to newer firmware
Weird...

Do you have same pcb? And worked? Which firmware?
What brand of sdcard, size? Did you format in camera or computer?
Thank you.
Yes, I tested all the firmwares on this thread https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-shadow-gt300w-1306180-and-others.5348/page-8 with the name FWDM800H.bin and the camera flashed them all with no problem.
I have only two cards, a 32GB Class 10 Kingston and a 32GB Class 6 SanDisk. I did the tests with both of them but don't ask me where I formatted them because sometimes I didn't even do it, I just deleted the previous file and loaded a new one. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this 32GB Class 6 SanDisk and tested... :(

That's not a card problem, for sure.
One very important thing you haven't told us yet: what firmware version has the camera got? That might shed some light on the matter. Or not. :)

Correct. And it's a G1W-H?

Back