g1wh revisited 10 years on....

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got four new 10 year old ones kicking around and one still has a good battery so i ve been trialing it on the motorhome....
dam it gives a good sharp image that i can rewad most numberplates with, and using vlc enhancements it isnt half bad at night and it left me wondering......
why has there been no real progression in quality of image in ten years ... what are manufacturers playing at ?
and why am i using a set of 10 year old mobius ones for reliability in 2023 ?

why has there been no real progression in quality of image in ten years ... what are manufacturers playing at ?

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention.

The G1W series was an excellent, somewhat groundbreaking camera in its day but there have been dramatic improvements in image quality since the days of the G1W series cameras that blow it out of the water. Take for example the Viofo A119 V3 with the Sony Exmor 2K IMX335 sensor that has been on the market for three years now. The camera produces superb image quality during the day while offering outstanding low light performance. It is an affordable camera that has proven itself with remarkable reliability. There are many other worthy offerings in the 2K class.

There are also some excellent 4K cameras on the market such as the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

And now we are just beginning to see the new Starvis-2 - 4K sensor appear in dash cams such as the Viofo A139 Pro. This leading edge sensor is a game changer that will more or less render everything that came before it obsolete!

Dash cams today also sport a variety of useful features and capabilities that didn't exist ten years ago.

So, this is what manufacturers have been "playing at".

got four new 10 year old ones kicking around and one still has a good battery so i ve been trialing it on the motorhome....
So the other three don't have a good battery? Most manufacturers moved over to capacitors a long time ago.

why am i using a set of 10 year old mobius ones for reliability in 2023 ?
Good question! Whilst the M1's are indeed reliable cameras, there are plenty of modern, reliable dashcams available too.

it gives a good sharp image that i can read most numberplates with
The AR0330 sensor seems to record good-looking video, in good light conditions. I still like how my Mobius 1 video looks for this reason. But sensor technology has moved on.

The AR0330 sensor seems to record good-looking video, in good light conditions. I still like how my Mobius 1 video looks for this reason. But sensor technology has moved on.
That was a good sensor, good competition on motion blur for the old pre-STARVIS IMX323, and with double the resolution.

But then we had STARVIS-1

and now we have STARVIS-2.

So the other three don't have a good battery?
Batteries can be replaced. If you actually want to use the old technology then it needs to be serviced occasionally. After 10 years car batteries need replacing too, but not capacitors.

Back