G1WH with horrible very bassy low level audio recording :-/

DeLorean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Front: G90 A7LA70 with GPS / Rear: G1WH
Hi Guys,
I've just bought a G1WH dashcam with firmware version G1WHT-301-150629V01LD.
Hopefully this camera will fare batter than the other cameras I've had over the years :rolleyes:
The video is good, but the audio is very quiet and extremely bassy :(
It sounds horrible and rumbly on my PC and makes the little speaker on the camera pop and crackle.
I know that the audio on these G1Wx cameras can be a bit of a mixed bag.
Would a firmware upgrade improve the audio?
Before I start flashing new firmwares I'd like a have a copy of the original firmware to hand, but I can't find a copy for love nor money o_O
Many thanks :)

From what you described it sounds as though the mic may be faulty

Oh pants :(

I'll post a short video clip ASAP as perhaps I'm expecting too much from this camera (audio wise).

Many thanks :)

Here's a video showing the horrible racket coming from the microphone :confused:

My G1W-H also had a mic problem but it was more like a threshold limiter: below a certain ambient noise level, the audio was very low and almost inaudible and when the ambient noise increased the mic started to pick up more things.
I solved the problem by putting in the G1W's mic, which was good.
The AT11DA also had a quiet mic but it didn't increase the captured audio even if the car's stereo was blasting. This time I did something different: I had some old cellphones and landline wireless phones, I took all their mics out, tried them all, they all worked wonderfully, so I put one of them in the camera. Now I have an "unlimited" supply of mics, in case I buy another camera with a defective mic (which seems to be some sort of karma that I have :), even though the AT11DA was a gift).

If you have the material and the skills, swapping mics isn't difficult to do.

I have a knackered GT680W with a good mic that I'll transplant into the G1WH if needed... however I'm communicating with the seller in the UK trying to get a replacement.
Whenever you take these cheap Chinese dashcams apart you always end up with broken housing clips etc so I'd go down the route of a replacement unit before yanking it apart.
Thanks for all your input guys :)

Yay... received a refund and was told I could keep the camera :D
The build quality it absolute crap and the mic is knackered, but the video footage is superb... even at night.
I've mounted it in my back window as a rear facing camera, so I can live with the nasty audio.

Back