G3 file type/playback with GPS data

sportmodel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mobius, G1W-C, Gitup G3 (soon)
Hello. Brand new to this site but can see it's the place to go for comprehensive answers.

Essentially I need a dash cam with a narrow FOV and GPS data/speed stamped on the footage.

The G3 in the 90 FOV with the GPS attached seems ideal BUT how do the files record on the SD card and can they be watched in VLC or Windows Media Player as an MP4 etc with the GPS data overlayed etc?

I took a snapshot from a YouTube review that shows the info I am referring to on the bottom left of the image. Does the GPS data save as a different file and requires a 'dash cam viewer' to watch the footage with GPS data overlayed on is it just the one file like your more common dash cam files (Garmin etc)? I will only have access to VLC or Windows media players to watch the footage as i'll be away from home.

Hope someone can help as I don't want to have to part with money to find out the hard way.

Thanks.

Gitup G3 overlay.JPG

The GPS info is showed on video by default. It is embedded in the video, not saved into separate file.

Also there is an option(GPS Info) in the system setting to choose which info to display.

The GPS info is showed on video by default. It is embedded in the video, not saved into separate file.

Also there is an option(GPS Info) in the system setting to choose which info to display.
Thank you for the reply. The user manual for the G3 references 'Dashcam viewer' program to watch the files with GPS data displayed etc. It's a little misleading.

Thank you for the reply. The user manual for the G3 references 'Dashcam viewer' program to watch the files with GPS data displayed etc. It's a little misleading.
If you want to playback the video with google map, you need the dashcam viewer.

Also we suggest you use the dashcam viewer to export the GPS data as .GPX file, then import to dashware, then you can do some customized map and GPS info overlay.

If you want to playback the video with google map, you need the dashcam viewer.

Also we suggest you use the dashcam viewer to export the GPS data as .GPX file, then import to dashware, then you can do some customized map and GPS info overlay.
Okay now i understand. I only need to watch the raw footage with time/date/speed overlayed on VLC or Windows Media Player.

Thanks for your help!

Just to make it clear, the GPS data is embedded in the file as a data stream for the dashcam viewer etc to read, and there are also options to stamp date, time, speed, and location onto the video image itself so that it is seen by any video player/TV etc. Exactly the same as most dashcams except that the GPS is 10Hz rather than 1Hz.

Just to make it clear, the GPS data is embedded in the file as a data stream for the dashcam viewer etc to read, and there are also options to stamp date, time, speed, and location onto the video image itself so that it is seen by any video player/TV etc. Exactly the same as most dashcams except that the GPS is 10Hz rather than 1Hz.
Thanks Nigel.

Yes I am after a 90 degree FOV dash cam with speed/time/date data on the image. The G3 looks like the only product out there that has the narrow FOV, plus 2k and wifi etc. Pity the GPS module is external.

Pity the GPS module is external.
There are positives as well as negatives to that, if you position the module sensibly then you will get better reception than cameras with it embedded in the camera, and for 10Hz data that is desirable. As long as the camera is mounted rather than handheld then it is not normally a problem.

As long as the camera is mounted rather than handheld then it is not normally a problem.

I'll mount it close to or on the G3's battery door due to it being mounted upside down with a threaded suction mount. Shortening of the GPS cable would be ideal but I'm not sure it would be wise to open it up and try to re-attach a shortened cable.

I'll mount it close to or on the G3's battery door due to it being mounted upside down with a threaded suction mount. Shortening of the GPS cable would be ideal but I'm not sure it would be wise to open it up and try to re-attach a shortened cable.
You might find that a bit too close for best reception. Shortening the cable shouldn't be a problem for someone who knows how to use a soldering iron.

it should still be in view of the sky on the front windscreen. it's a work/fleet vehicle so camera has to come out at the end of the day etc so I can't stick the GPS on the glass.

it should still be in view of the sky on the front windscreen. it's a work/fleet vehicle so camera has to come out at the end of the day etc so I can't stick the GPS on the glass.
It will probably work fine for that, if you wanted an accurate log around a race track then it might be worth modifying the mount to add a few cm distance.

Does anyone have much experience with the Gitup app? The App stores review(s) aren't that great.

Does anyone have much experience with the Gitup app? The App stores review(s) aren't that great.
It works, if you want to view your videos properly then putting the memory card in a card reader in a PC or tablet is a much better idea, but for setup and live view to check alignment it works perfectly well. The wifi link is only short range, don't expect to view it from another vehicle.

The touch screen on the G3 works quite well though, so the app isn't usually a great benefit.

Hello,

when I export my GPS file. I see only one per second and not 10. Have you found how to change the firmware?

I use the original Gps in the photo, I just configure the update in 5hz because not possible in 10hz.

The Nmea messages are original to the gps.

I connected to this gps in ttl.

I also tried with a Qstarz 10hz gps by connecting the tx output.When I extract gps data with dashviewer, I only see one row per second.

Do you have a csv file checked out from the gitup for me to see?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Gitup-1.jpg
    Gitup-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Gitup-2.jpg
    Gitup-2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 2
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date