G90 3D Print Adapter for Polarizer Filter

My 37-52 adapter arrived and fitted on to the G90 by means of wrapping a layer of self amalgamating tape around the lens housing. Tried double sided tape; first problem was that in the heat, it lost all supporting properties, and secondly, it leaves a mess over everything it is stuck to! The self amalgamating tape is heat proof and once it has bonded with itself, it forms a very stable platform for the adapter to sit on. Having a rubberised finish to it also allows the adapter to have something to "grip" on to. Worth a try if you are thinking of fitting a filter adapter.

I fashioned a Polarizing Filter for my GS90C using a 37mm circular polarizer and a plastic cap , here is how :

First task was to find the right sized plastic cap that would snugly fit the 37mm thread of the circular polarizer , a plastic lid from a small ointment jar came in handy for this.

20150425_152844.jpg
The back of the lid (highlighted in red) needs to be cut off completely to fashion a ring adapter. I took help from a neighbour-hood electric store and used a fine mechanical saw used to cut holes for switches on Bakelite boards to remove the back of the cap. Can also be done by hand using a sharp knife , a small hammer and a lot of patience. The jagged edges were smoothed off using a knife and a 100 grit emery paper.

20150425_153552.jpg

20150425_153619.jpg

Since the ring was white , I used black electrical insulation tape on both sides to make it black. This was the easiest way to make it black , the other way would be to sand and paint it in black colour.

I had some left over soft liners/spacers (not sure what these are called) that came with the reversing camera installed in my car. It has sticky tape on one side for automotive use and the other side is soft and spongy. I cut this to size and used it to line the inner side of the ring so that there is a snug and soft fit between the ring and the G90C lens barrel. You can slide the ring easily for a good tight fit and you can just pull it to take it off the camera body, nothing sticks to the camera. The red arrow indicates were the polarizer will go and the blue arrow indicates the lining material and the area it is lined with.

20150425_154121.jpg
The finished polarizer assembly

20150425_155342.jpg
I cut some liner to size and positioned a bit each at the top and bottom of the lens barrel (highlighted in red) to act as a stopper for the ring adapter. This was required so that the ring cannot be pushed all the way in so that the C-Pol glass touches the glass of the lens

20150425_155451.jpg

Images of the assembly when mounted on the G90C

20150425_155849.jpg

20150425_155929.jpg

20150425_155948.jpg
The 37 mm C Pol fits and works perfectly , it does not vignette Or cut off / obstruct the edge of the video. I used this size as it is only a few mm larger than the actual lens barrel and is inconspicuous when fitted on the camera , unlike a larger dia C Pol .

Back