G90-7s received not that good as posted on youtube & here, not sure why?

lilac

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just received my Dome G90-7S from gearbest, ,
very disappointed when comparing it with my mid 2014 purchased G1W from estore on ebay which was cheaper also.
G1W has a better clear day & especially night videos, G1W can catch night surrounding background, but G90 only catch wherever there have a light - not the surrounding background in the dark. The only G90 can beat G1W is -- it has a wider video angle. The night vision that I got from this G90 has no way to compare with whatever any other G90 night videos posted on youtube.
GPS is another joke, have no clue how it works except a broadcasting symbol locating on the left bottom of the screen.
It is a total worthless purchase, bottomline - if it cannot beat or at least equivalent to G1W on night videos, it costs more & is really worthless. Not sure, if gearbest selling the orig. or rejected quality.

Which monitor are you using ( and how big )?

Just set the brightness setting higher on the monitor/video player.

How is the audio?

It looks fine here ...

The issue is G90 cannot capture any image not under street light, auto head light etc, I mean something needs to be under a good light intensity in order to be recognized, not perfectly same as what our human eyes able to capture. While G1W can capture what our human eyes can see during the night. You can tell from your posted youtube that anything outside the headlight area are very very dark.
Vivitar captures a very good day image - able to see the license plate very sharp & clearly but very poor night vision. G1W allows me to see license plate # day & night, not perfect but readable. G90 using Ambarella A7LA70 Chip, but I cannot see license plate clearly during the night. There have nothing to do with my PC monitor itself, in fact G1W screen has a better view angle than G90. I am able to see clearly with playback on G1W, But G90 needs to be viewed at a angle from below the screen.
Regarding audio part, still G1W better.
I don't recommend G90 plus it costs more.

The Field of View (FOV) of the G90 is much wider ( things are smaller) than the G1W. Using the higher resolution recording mode may help. The recorded details/data are there - just turn up the brightness on your monitor/video player to see them.

I wish I could post both G1W & G90 on youtube for comparison.

Used the manufacturer software & apple Quik (I think) to open the videos, they are much more clear. Anyway, none of those allows to adjust the lightness.
The manufacturer software doesn't show any GPS location, so basically looks like their GPS doesn't work in foreign country.

none of those allows to adjust the lightness
QuickTime
Window=>Show A/V Controls
y1o3kv8u3gs6GyUT

VLC
Tools->Effect and Filters->Video Effects [Check: Image Adjust]
oRoqTjrhQKu9FPkQ

Registrator Viewer (for GPS)
no image controls found

Last edited:
I just received my Dome G90-7S from gearbest, ,
very disappointed when comparing it with my mid 2014 purchased G1W from estore on ebay which was cheaper also.
G1W has a better clear day & especially night videos, G1W can catch night surrounding background, but G90 only catch wherever there have a light - not the surrounding background in the dark. The only G90 can beat G1W is -- it has a wider video angle. The night vision that I got from this G90 has no way to compare with whatever any other G90 night videos posted on youtube.
GPS is another joke, have no clue how it works except a broadcasting symbol locating on the left bottom of the screen.
It is a total worthless purchase, bottomline - if it cannot beat or at least equivalent to G1W on night videos, it costs more & is really worthless. Not sure, if gearbest selling the orig. or rejected quality.

I agree with u 100%, the G90 is crap. I got mine from joovuu (nice customer service, quick reply, bad product) and the videos are a lot worse compaired side by side with my HTC one (M7 2 years old model with a lame ultrapixel camera) and my Samsung Note 3 using Daily Roads Voyager app as dashcam (great app). Can t see any licence plates at night time from incoming trafic, daylight video are grainy and sound is almost unusable while driving, ok when stopped at traffic lights. Baterry dies after 4 seconds if not powered. Worst 110 euros ever spent, I should of went for Dod ls 430 or Vico Marcus.

I agree with u 100%, the G90 is crap.
I wonder if your dashcam isn't affected by a focus drift as @reverend had (read more about in this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g90-a7la70-unfocused-videos.7226/).
When I received my dashcam in September (last year) the videos were unfocussed and their quality became worse with the time. Recalibrating the lens was a huge improvement. See the two screen captures "before" and "after" recalibrating the lens (snapshots taken with VLC):
Before (sunny day)
vk4PI1cjp78DHPDl

https://copy.com/g4NLR4ChTzo8hoBC

After (at dusk, the sun is far away, straight ahead)
iS1rveVtWArJeQa7

https://copy.com/CCSPlDgqA9AUINPV

Could you upload some samples using a sharing website (e.g., Copy, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc. , not Youtube) to have an idea on how your dashcam records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it's user error.
If you don't get the image you expected, change the settings like exposure.
Leaving at default setting is okay for most but not for all.

change the settings like exposure.
I don't think it is possible to do that on G90: only resolution (and for night to use HDR 1080p) and the meter mode.

PS: also, we shouldn't forget dashboard reflections.

I don't think it is possible to do that on G90: only resolution (and for night to use HDR 1080p) and the meter mode.

PS: also, we shouldn't forget dashboard reflections.
Why not?

White balance: Auto/Cloudy/Sunny/Incandescent/Sunny
Exposure: /+0.3/+0.7/+1.0/+1.3/+1.7/+2.0/-2/-1.7/-1.3/-1/-0.7/-0.3/+0

what firmware do you use ? I saw those settings only on the box.

what firmware do you use ? I saw those settings only on the box.
Not sure. I've G90 A3 and A7 with one of them with 18mbps firmware.
I've to check when I get back what the menu settings are. Haven't touched the menu for months.
Out of town this week and no use of dashcam on the plane.
May be there is a new market of dashcam for planes. ;)

May be there is a new market of dashcam for planes
never say never :p. It will be easier for investigators to find the cause of a crash. And why not to have some dashcam outside the plane.

Yeah I was very disappointed with the g90-7s as well. Other than the audio defect I had which I sent it back for, night videos were very dark, pretty much useless.
During the day it was good but it had abit too much contrast and there were no option on the device to change exposure/wb.
Which is a shame because on paper and for its price it would have been a great device, maybe a future firmware update will improve it.
I have to agree with you on the g1w being the better device. Not as sharp/detailed but overall much better imo.

I just received my G90 from dome on aliexpress with firmware G90-ZX-A730-1007-N7W, i don't think i got the white balance and exposure.

is this firmware, R441MP, newer? Does it give the white balance and exposure control?

Why not?

I just received my G90 from dome on aliexpress with firmware G90-ZX-A730-1007-N7W, i don't think i got the white balance and exposure.
is this firmware, R441MP, newer? Does it give the white balance and exposure control?
Hmmm... I just checked my G90 A3 with version trunk: SVN r441MP and it doesn't have exposure settings.
Not sure if older versions had that option as I never played with the exposure.
The manual mentions it has exposure control so it should be in some version of the FW.

Yeah I was very disappointed with the g90-7s as well. Other than the audio defect I had which I sent it back for, night videos were very dark, pretty much useless.
During the day it was good but it had abit too much contrast and there were no option on the device to change exposure/wb.
Which is a shame because on paper and for its price it would have been a great device, maybe a future firmware update will improve it.
I have to agree with you on the g1w being the better device. Not as sharp/detailed but overall much better imo.
Night videos are dark but they have details.
When I got G90 with initial firmware in Aug 2014, night videos were very bright and good.
Then I upgraded the firmware and when I looked at the night videos, they were much darker than the original firmware but then I uploaded video to youtube and let it process it. After that, the night videos were much brighter in youtube so it's definitely exposure setting.
Too bad the FW doesn't allow to change it.

It's better than G1W in every way and in every conditions except audio quality.
If you turn HDR on in daylight, the videos will look slightly grainy.

Oh did I say it's better than G1W? Yes it absolutely runs circles around G1W.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to latest available at DCT and this version (G90-**A730-712-N-W) also doesn't have EV settings.
I guess it may change some lighting if you play with 'Meter Mode Setting' from center to average or spot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y G90 4