G90 mount wiring

DeLorean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Front: G90 A7LA70 with GPS / Rear: G1WH
Hi Guys,
Recently I had to take my G90 camera and mount out of my own car as I need to transfer it to a rental car.
Once installed in the rental car the camera would only work if the mount sucker tightening lever was in a specific position.
The problem became worse and in the end the camera stopped receiving power altogether.
On dismantling the mount I found the wires that are soldered to the connector which engages with the camera had fatigued and broken off due to the wire being continually stretched.
For some reason the wires had been soldered directly to the rear of the pins and not to the correct points on the PCB. Also the pin functions are not correctly printed as the power appears to be applied to the VCC pin (which is self explanatory) and GPS pin?
Does anyone know which pins the positive and negative should be soldered to as I’m not going to assume that VCC is positive and possibly kill the camera.
Many thanks
20151013_114404.jpg

I also had to change the wires; here some pictures. You can see that the cables are connected directly where the pins are.
trlWRXPvns6GFBCT

kLNbxuUhKspudssV

k0PdBPrkPIYkQZTu

o9qHPdCehcKrPIeg

That's prefect Mandami... thank so much :)

Thank goodness I didn't assume VCC was the positive and therefore GPS was the negative as your photos show that it's actually the reverse :eek:

I didn't assume VCC was the positive and therefore GPS
I uploaded pictures with original cable and its connections at both ends. As you can see there is a red wire and a grey one. Maybe the red one is +, or maybe not :D.
Just make sure the both ends are connected correctly.

I can confirm that the positive goes to the point labelled as GPS on the camera connector.
The negative goes to the point labelled as VCC on the camera connector.
The points marked as 5V and GND are unused... how useless can you get :confused:
Looking at your connector it has no marks whatsoever.

That's on the soldered tips.
What are the other side strips with labels for?

The solder pads pass through to the same corresponding pin opposite.
For some reason they've decided to solder directly to the pins and not to the pads?
I guess the camera connector PCB is just a generic one or perhaps the was the possibility of more features being carried through on the connector.

The solder pads pass through to the same corresponding pin opposite.
For some reason they've decided to solder directly to the pins and not to the pads?
I guess the camera connector PCB is just a generic one or perhaps the was the possibility of more features being carried through on the connector.
I see.
If it's straight connection, then easy to figure out as 5v is 2nd pin and GND (ground) is last one from right in your first picture.

...and that's where the problem lies :p
If it were that simple... the pin/pad marked VCC is actually the negative and the pin/pad labelled GPS is the +5v positive.
Although they are straight through connections the labels are completely wrong and should be ignored.

I see. They speak different language there so the confusion. ;)

New wiring installed and everything’s working perfectly again :)
Big thanks got to Mandami again :D
I used a better quality of wire than the horrid twin core enamelled stuff they originally used (which shouldn't be used for power).
There enough room between the suction cup mechanism and USB socket PCB to include a loop of wire which will stop the wire being strained when the suction mechanism is opened and closed... so no broken wires in the future ;)
I also ended up opening the G90 as I could hear something rattling around inside.
On opening it I found an unused screw just rattling about which must have dropped inside the camera when they were assembling it... that would explain the small amount of crackling noise on the mic (which has now gone) :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sunny G90 4
C G90 5
reverend G90 80
Back