Gap between parking mode and driving mode

gumout

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a A129 duo that will lose 8-10 seconds every time I turn the ignition on/off and it goes from parking mode (low bitrate continuous recording) to driving mode and vice versa. The dashcam itself does not restart or indicate it stopped recording but when I check the footage there will be a gap between where the parking/driving mode files stop and start. I have updated the firmware to the latest (v2.1) and formatted my microsd card without any change. Is this normal and if not does anyone know what the problem could be?

Sounds about the same as what others experience with this cam. It's normal.

Phil

Yep. There's a thread on here where a clueless poster claimed ALL dashcams had this 'feature'. That was rubbish, of course.

I think it's a bad 'feature', especially given the camera can switch when the G-Sensor is triggered, which could be the exact time you need full recording.

I wouldn't be buying another dashcam with this 'feature'.

I think it's a bit too long, but most cams lose a second or two switching between modes. As long as you're aware of what yours does, you can wait to switch the car off if you see a potential problem. Not ideal but acceptable to me at a few seconds maximum and no more- YMMV!

Phil

Doesn't help if you're away from the car when it switches mode.

Most cams may have a delay, but not all.

Sadly, though, I don't think there is a dashcam that gets everything right.

Doesn't help if you're away from the car when it switches mode.

Most cams may have a delay, but not all.

are you using parking mode with 2 wire or 3 wire power supply?

Bullseye. The perfect cam has never been built so the best we can do is choose what we compromise on to get what is most important to each of us :whistle:

I prefer using low-bitrate parking recording with no sensors involved as that misses nothing, but there may still be lost time going in and out of that mode, and you will have no idea of when damage occurred without watching possibly hours of vids to find the incident. Before low-bitrate was a thing I simply recorded full-time to get the same absolute coverage. Motion detect and G-sensor don't always work reliably, I'd rather not take that chance.

Phil

I prefer low bitrate but with G - sensor on to flag ( hopefully ) any larger events, but with that approach to parking guard, and if you use that a lot, a well sized memory card are a must i feel.
Other than that i just want the camera to log my own driving which all do just fine, and then i will take what ever extra it can give me.
I have to look at dashcams that way or i would be let down by all cameras and would probably have lost interest in coming to this forum, cuz in my normal mode of thinking i tend to gravitate to constant fast and steady improvements.
Which is also why sports ASO i have done over time, well when i start to feel i am no longer improving things start to get boring / frustrating, even if i am by no means close to the perfect performance.

are you using parking mode with 2 wire or 3 wire power supply?
I use a PMP, because I like the ability to turn off the camera when not driving, and the Viofo 3 wire kit didn't seem to offer this.

I could use the Viofo 3 wire kit and rig a manual over-ride to turn it off, but already had the PMP, so never bothered.

I use a PMP, because I like the ability to turn off the camera when not driving, and the Viofo 3 wire kit didn't seem to offer this.

I could use the Viofo 3 wire kit and rig a manual over-ride to turn it off, but already had the PMP, so never bothered.
with the 3 wire kit it will change modes while you're there, it will change faster also as it's a hardware solution instead of a software only solution

the camera can be powered off manually anytime you don't want parking mode when using the HK3, there is no need to access the power supply control box to do this, it's done on the camera directly

Never timed the hand over gap on my street guardian DR system with a 3 wire HW kit, but it look to be instant.
2 wire HW kits have always been slow as then instead of getting a instant signal from the #3 wire the camera have to sit there and on its own figure out " hey maybe i should change to another mode"
I would also assume the viofo cameras all have the option to turn off the camera if you dont want to use parking guard ( normally i think by long pressing a button )
I am sort of hoping i get my viofo HW kit for my A139 tomorrow, so i can install it in the weekend if the weather permit

Back