Gapi's Viofo A129 Duo Review

gapi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
If you are interested keep checking back to this Post at the bottom for added videos. I'll post replies if I add more comments also. I'm not finished.

I received an A129 Duo for testing with front & rear Polar Filters and the Bluetooth Button.
Forum member @Harsh on DashCamTalk (A129 Duo Pre Production Sample) did a fantastic job with the un-boxing and lots more so I really don't need to try and follow his nice act there. Nice photography and video work Harsh!

This will be work in progress as I will be editing in videos from time to time. Today is my 1st draft.

I come from a Rexing V1-G and Blackvue's DR650S-2ch and DR750S-2ch setups and all I am going to say is I was not really pleased with them. The return on investment is unbalanced and the samples they demo did not match the output.
I am quite pleased with the A129 Duo. The output for the cost amount is very pleasing from where I sit. It does not have 60fps on both ends but that will be more cost and as technology has demonstrated, just wait and its will happen sooner or later. I need a good cam now and I don't want to spend $500.00.

My review will be more on testing video scenarios than other subjects. I drive in daylight and nighttime. I may even take requests to run the cams in requested scenarios.

DashCam manufacturers can be slick with video samples some driving as slow or in optimum lighting on night videos and most certainly not many of them post them up RAW. The faster you travel the more difficult it is for any cams quality.

This will not be the case with me.My vehicles are setup for performance. You will not see my speeds but you can rely on me doing the posted speed limit.

My videos will be provided RAW (as shot with no compression, conversions or rendering) for download or streaming from Mediafire, your choice. The only thing I do is trim out the uneeded ends of footage or append clips together. I loop in one or 2 minute segments.
You shouldn't be worried about data if you are reviewing on a home PC/Mac, and evaluating on a cellular device is not optimum in my opinion.
I try to keep them to 120MB and they take about 1 minute to start at my house. But this is the price of seeing as shot footage. Be patient.
HERE is a SAMPLE running dual.

The Viofo A129 Duo is a dual channel 1080p 30fps front and rear and if you run the front alone it changes to 60fps. Its automatic so if you are traveling at night or just decide you want the 60fps up front you can just unplug the rear cam and it will interrupt for a short moment, beep, and be running in 60fps. Samples to follow.

I run these cams in two vehicles, a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T & 2005 Silverado Z71. The installations on both vehicles went very well.

In the camera box you are provided with the cameras, a GPS block that adheres to the glass for the front camera to mount upon, extra mounting tape, wire hangars, a trim prying tool, power and rear camera cables.
Some have complained about the larger diameter rear camera cable but I have no issues. I am impressed with the quality however, its kink free, as it will lay out flat when you unwrap it. This was really nice when routing the cable.

The Installs: I will not complain about the cable attachment points or angles, how the or which direction it slides off or on the mounts, or which side the mSDcard is inserted. You have to roll with it because they just cannot make it super custom for all vehicles. There is no selection menu at point of purchase asking what make, model and year vehicle you will be mounting it to. No selection asking if you are going to mount it under, to the left, or right of the rear view mirror. I think the layout is done well and I had no major hoops to jump through to apply the A129 Duo to my vehicles. I do suggest you add a visor tint film strip up front and let the cam lens protrude below it. Your mount tape or suction cups for other devices will not show or attract thieves.
Both my cams are to the right of the rear view mirror. I run radar detectors on the left.
The Interface One of the things I did not like about the Blackvue cams is no display. I don't need it for lengthy video viewing. But if I want to make a quick setup change I don't want to have to enable and connect WiFi. Just pop into the screen, scroll and select. Yes if I have the time I like the WiFi interface very much.

Here are some notes on the WiFi:
1) Its not good to leave it connected all the time because it is a no internet connection and will not play nice with Waze or Google Maps to name what I know of so far.
2) Curl up with the manual and do not speed read it. I will tell you to enable or disable WiFi on the camera long press the display button on the camera's far right. Once connected the setting menus on the camera are not available, you must use the apk.
3) Its work in progress, Viofo has already released 3 firmwares and I have been testing some before release. One thing in the works is when you open settings via WiFi you do not see "some" of your last selected settings from a previous session. They are enabled but if you want to go in and check to see what "Custom Text Stamp" or "Car License Number" you have entered its not there. They told me they will correct it. Its hard to see these lines on a cellular device so checking them on the wiFi setup menu will be nice.
4) I use an LG Nexus 5x on Oreo 8.1.0 and connect fine on 5Hz. (Soon to upgrade to the Pixel 3)
5) All of the text I enter for a custom SSID does not show, Its just Viofo. The OE SSID is much longer.
6) Even though I have my own SSID setup there is usually a new Viofo SSID in the list when I start a new session, I just "forget it" and choose mine. When I do it says connected -no internet, but you have to wait for android to tell you again its a no internet connection and ask you if you are sure? Choose yes. If you are not aware and just keep going you will not connect, on a Nexus 5x anyways.
All of the above takes longer to read here than to address, so its no big hassle or deal breaker.

The Bluetooth Button: A very nice feature. It pairs immediately and puts locked files in to a folder named RO. It gives a confirmation beep or two. I still have to get deeper into it and see how far back it goes.
The battery is included and you pull the tape and stick it on.
Know this. To change the battery you twist the unit and the battery cap stays on the tape. So put it where its not going to get hit by dragging cords, coffee cups, you name it. It can be bumped enough to twist it open.

User Interface Beep: You should do a good read on the manual but I'll point out a few points.
There has been chatter about the beep when not recording to be annoying and I can see that if you want to drive around with the cam on but not recording and there has been firmware work offering more choices but by default its difficult to accidentally not have your camera recording and I like it as is. I'm rarely out of recording mode except to work with settings and if I want privacy conversations in the cabin I hit the mute button.

Viofo support. They are over seas and do pretty good, but I find it best or a little faster to inquire on their website forum.
Purchasing. To avoid the vendor price mark up purchase direct if you are not in a huge hurry.
Parking mode. Still waiting for the three wire module.

Nigh Time Performance:
The Sony Exmor R Starvis sensor is no joke. If there is better I have not seen it. Samples to follow.
If there is any available light in the vicinity it will make use of it. I have not experienced other brands so i cannot compare.

The Polar Filters (CPF). In my opinion dash cams should ship with them. I will not purchase a cam without them or if they say they will not release any for it. Other than the obvious it most of the time allows you to see the persons behind the glass of other vehicles. In the sample I posted above you can see the driver acknowledge my horn prompt to address the green light.

Here is what I received from Viofo

viofo_a129_duo_01.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_02.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_03.jpg

The Charger Install The images make them seem larger than life.

viofo_a129_duo_04.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_05.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_06.jpg

The Truck Install

viofo_a129_duo_07.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_08.jpg

viofo_a129_duo_09.jpg

Here is a with and without CPF demo VIDEO 38MB
Daytime Sample Pause on the passing car to see drivers face clarity. 23MB
Rear Window Tint Test Daytime WDR On Rear Cam Exposure +1/3 - CPF Rainbow Top Left? 68MB.
The +1/3 is effective but may not be needed in day time. My tint is 20% and I can see a white truck face washed out.
A good FW idea would be profiles. A Day and a Night or A & B, I would set B for WDR on. Rear cam +1/3.

EDIT: About the rainbow in the top left of my rear cam videos. The spots created during the factory windshield tempering process. You see them on cars when you wear polarized sunglasses, they are intentional stresses created in the glass to make it stronger controlling the way it breaks in an accident. I originally thought it was a CPF issue and swapped my filters and even did a 180° and it stayed put. I tried my other A129 cam. Its not a cam issue.

A Front Cam Total Darkness Example. 52MB

Last edited:
nice review, thanks for sharing. What mount do you use for your cell phone? Im looking for one that doesn't block the AC vents or take away my cup-holder. Is that a Uniden R3 on the windshield. I see the ALP. nice.

Proclips USA are the phone mounts. A touch pricy but if you keep your vehicles for a while and if you swap phones you just get the holder and swap it out on the mount. I have been running them for years, Spoiled.
Yes R3, ALP is a must. Its so good I fear Radar IO more then the dragon.

Added a video (to the bottom of the OP) to demo the rear cam through 20% tint with +1/3 exposure. And I found a rainbow in the top left corner that may be from factory polarizing, the tint or the CPF.
I'll rotate it and swap it with the front to see if the rainbow follows and post this week.

Great review! Your videos really show the difference a CPL can make. Looking forward to your updates. (y)

Great review :cool: I will be watching this thread closely too but one thing I noticed in your'e pictures above:

Is in the truck install? Don't know if it mattes or not but the cable from the front camera to the rear camera (the cable ends are the wrong way round?) as the charger install! you have them the correct way round, I was thinking you knew this because of the layout & suppose it doe's not matter but just thought to mention in-case it helps you out down the line for future etc. (I'm not trying to blame anything or anyone) Just I installed mine the other day & either end is marked with a silver sticker.

I know you mentioned something about this in the OP under The Installs:

You can use the cable for the rear camera either way.. whatever suits you best with the connectors..

Yes, which ever is more convenient. A nice option.

I edited my review comment on the rainbow color on my rear cam.

EDIT: About the rainbow in the top left of my rear cam videos. These are spots created during the factory windshield tempering process. You can see them on cars when you wear polarized sunglasses, they are intentional stresses which are created in the glass to make it stronger and to control the way it breaks in an accident. I originally thought it was a CPF issue and swapped my filters and even did a 180° with them and it stayed put. I even tried my other A129 cam. Its not a cam issue.
Just like you can see them with polarized sunglasses on, the dash cam CPF does likewise.

From Viofo for testing and review. They have them up for pre-order on their site.

Do you leave the CPL on all the time, or do you take them off when its not sunny/night time?

Also do you think its worth having one on the rear cam as well?

I run them all the time front and rear. My car can be one of the worst for dash reflections front and rear.
The exposure effect on the Starvis sensor is for the most part unnoticeable.

Do you leave the CPL on all the time, or do you take them off when its not sunny/night time?

Also do you think its worth having one on the rear cam as well?
The rear one depends on the car, the angle of the glass, and if you keep reflective stuff on the rear parcel shelf, on some cars they don't make much difference and other cars it is better to put a black sheet/mat/blanket over the parcel shelf.

Also, if you have a dark tint on the rear window reducing the light then reducing it further with a CPL can cause noticeable motion blur. The Starvis sensor means we don't tend to notice the extra motion blur with clear glass so most people leave them on permanently with the A129.

Also, if you have a dark tint on the rear window reducing the light then reducing it further with a CPL can cause noticeable motion blur.
I have A119 + CPL filter on my rear factory tinted window and I had to rotate the CPL about 80 degrees counter clockwise from the original position (the darkest side 45 degrees to the left) to somehow match the brightness of the picture taken by A119 Pro + CPL on my windshield (
wink.gif
not tinted), on A119 Pro CPL filter set as recommended (the darkest side at 45 degrees to the left). both CPL filters I use came with A119 cameras. and I'm getting more reflections on my rear because of the CPL filter adjustment.
I want an easily adjustable CPL filter, possibly to a pre-set values/degrees. the CPL filter set incorrectly greatly affects the brightness of the picture.

I have A119 + CPL filter on my rear factory tinted window and I had to rotate the CPL about 80 degrees counter clockwise from the original position (the darkest side 45 degrees to the left) to somehow match the brightness of the picture taken by A119 Pro + CPL on my windshield (
wink.gif
not tinted), on A119 Pro CPL filter set as recommended (the darkest side at 45 degrees to the left). both CPL filters I use came with A119 cameras. and I'm getting more reflections on my rear because of the CPL filter adjustment.
I want an easily adjustable CPL filter, possibly to a pre-set values/degrees. the CPL filter set incorrectly greatly affects the brightness of the picture.
I suggest you rotate it back the to the correct position and adjust the brightness, either by pointing the camera down a bit or using the EV setting to increase brightness a step.

I suggest you rotate it back the to the correct position and adjust the brightness, either by pointing the camera down a bit or using the EV setting to increase brightness a step.
that "the correct position" doesn't take in to account tinted windows, and all factory tinted windows are different. I'm OK with that "the correct position" on my CPL filter on my front A119 Pro camera.
I have a hatchback, no trunk, and the camera already pointed lower than I want.
I tried EV adjustment and didn't like the outcome. I'll wait for BCHobbyist to get to the brightness values or @viofo to add that entry to a Menu.
smile3.gif

do you use sunglasses when you drive after a sunset?
smile3.gif

Last edited:
that "the correct position" doesn't take in to account tinted windows, and all factory tinted windows are different. I'm OK with that "the correct position" on my CPL filter on my front A119 Pro camera.
I have a hatchback, no trunk, and the camera already pointed lower than I want.
I tried EV adjustment and didn't like the outcome. I'll wait for BCHobbyist to get to the brightness values or @viofo to add that entry to a Menu.
smile3.gif

do you use sunglasses when you drive after a sunset?
smile3.gif
The correct position is when the polariser is exactly vertical, tinted windows have nothing to do with it, what matters is that it filters out the horizontally polarised light since the reflections are always exactly horizontally polarised.

tinted windows have nothing to do with it
of course not. tinted windows make the picture darker and the only way to make it brighter to match the brightness of the front camera picture is to adjust the CPL filter.
my rear window tint blocks may be up to 85% of the light, can you using EV setting in the Menu compensate it? I doubt it.

of course not. tinted windows make the picture darker and the only way to make it brighter to match the brightness of the front camera picture is to adjust the CPL filter.
my rear window tint blocks may be up to 85% of the light, can you using EV setting in the Menu compensate it? I doubt it.
Turning the CPL shouldn't make a difference to the image darkness unless your tint is polarised.
The darkness should be adjusted for by the auto exposure.
If it doesn't get it quite right then you can use the EV setting for fine tuning.

Maybe your problem is that your tint removes 85% of the light and the CPL blocks 50% of what's left leaving just 7.5% of the light remaining for the sensor, maybe 7.5% is not enough for the sensor to produce a bright image at 30fps. If you are using 60fps then even worse.

If you want a good image, take the tint off, it might also help your eyes to see what is behind you!

Maybe your problem is that your tint removes 85% of the light and the CPL blocks 50% of what's left leaving just 7.5% of the light remaining for the sensor, maybe 7.5% is not enough for the sensor to produce a bright image at 30fps. If you are using 60fps then even worse.

If you want a good image, take the tint off, it might also help your eyes to see what is behind you!
finally we're getting somewhere.
smile3.gif

the tint is factory made & installed glass as well as the rear passenger windows.

Back