Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, different power source.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Raysee

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, I had a defective A118C which I returned to Amazon. I got a Garmin 20 from Costco, figuring that "returns" will never be an issue.

Prior to this, I hard wire the A118c and I intend to reuse the setup. Problem is that when plugged in, the Garmin goes into Mass storage mode during start up.

I have searched the forum, there seem to be a divided opinion.

1. Data cable: Either cover or tape the middle circuits and fool the camera to think it's OEM cable. I've tried, I must be doing it wrong because it's either no power or mass storage.
2. Insufficient / different power source. Non OEM charger detected by the camera.

If it's just the cable, I don't mind, cutting and soldering the OEM head into the setup (I can't return it after). but if its the power source then I will just live with the mass storage mode (just click cancel)

Anyone had experience with Garmin 20 and Mass Storage mode?

Thanks for the input.

jokiin Is the same true for the USB cables. I have been fighting the mass storage problem all day. It would come on then I would hit cancel and the 10 minuets or so that screen would come back on it would do it 3 or 4 times then stop and run normally the rest of the way. I just used the Garmin plugin and it worked fine it started the 4 times I tried it. But when I got into the house and tried my power bank with the Garmin USB to Mini USB it came up with the mass storage USB detected. I want to use anything but the lighter plug but want it to record without having to hit cancel. Why does a power supply act like it is being connected to the computer.

wiring is different, just use the provided power lead, if you want to free up your cig socket best to wire in an extra socket, can be hidden under the dash even and keep it out of sight

Is there a place to get the pin out or color code so you could splice one to work. It will be the last Garmin I will ever buy a Garmin as I will not buy proprietary products. Do other dash cams do this? What do you use to be able to hide the cable and run it off of the fuse box?

Hi everyone, I had a defective A118C which I returned to Amazon. I got a Garmin 20 from Costco, figuring that "returns" will never be an issue.

Prior to this, I hard wire the A118c and I intend to reuse the setup. Problem is that when plugged in, the Garmin goes into Mass storage mode during start up.

I have searched the forum, there seem to be a divided opinion.

1. Data cable: Either cover or tape the middle circuits and fool the camera to think it's OEM cable. I've tried, I must be doing it wrong because it's either no power or mass storage.
2. Insufficient / different power source. Non OEM charger detected by the camera.

If it's just the cable, I don't mind, cutting and soldering the OEM head into the setup (I can't return it after). but if its the power source then I will just live with the mass storage mode (just click cancel)

Anyone had experience with Garmin 20 and Mass Storage mode?

Thanks for the input.
Similar problem but a bit different cus not hard wired but plugged in. Garmin supplies a short length power cord which forces you to spend an additional $30. to buy a long cord to hide it. Now this is where its similar to ur problem.
If you use the cord that came with it runs perfect but u have a wire dangling to the cigarette outlet. so what do u do? U you try to hardwire it or just use a generic power cord. Now when it is powered up it says Mass storage until u press a button. This will happen every time u start up. The only way to fix this is to go and buy a Garmin power cord and ur problem is solved.. To me that's so sneaky, why not supply the long length in the first place Camera is not cheap.

Well I like your picture because Garmin is Mickey Mouse! The problem I had was the off brand would go back to Mass storage at about 10 minute intervals it did it several times to and from my house during a 80 mile round trip. I bought this to have it run from startup to turning off the engine. I was glad to see they were in Dash cams until this problem raised it's ugly head. In fact I was just about to buy a Garmin Driver assist 50 lmt until I found this out. I think everyone who got stuck with this problem should register a complaint every where they can forums and where they can comment for people considering it especially where they bought it. Which is what I will do. I bought two $15.00 Dash cams and I don't have this problem I use Garmin and generic on them with no problem ! Do they even make a hard wire cable of there own?
Is there anywhere or anyone who knows how to rewire a USB cable to get around this problem. There has to be a way around this.

If anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Well I like your picture because Garmin is Mickey Mouse! The problem I had was the off brand would go back to Mass storage at about 10 minute intervals it did it several times to and from my house during a 80 mile round trip. I bought this to have it run from startup to turning off the engine. I was glad to see they were in Dash cams until this problem raised it's ugly head. In fact I was just about to buy a Garmin Driver assist 50 lmt until I found this out. I think everyone who got stuck with this problem should register a complaint every where they can forums and where they can comment for people considering it especially where they bought it. Which is what I will do. I bought two $15.00 Dash cams and I don't have this problem I use Garmin and generic on them with no problem ! Do they even make a hard wire cable of there own?
Is there anywhere or anyone who knows how to rewire a USB cable to get around this problem. There has to be a way around this.

If anyone has a suggestion let me know.
Off topic but has anyone been able to find any specifications for the Garmin 35. It seems that Garmin is not disclosing any spec's about this model. I have been searching those spec's without success. I even had back and forth emails with Garmin requesting spec information. With the reply's back from Garmin its so obvious that they would not disclose anything. All they replied was the size of battery and that it is a wide focus. That's it nothing Its like pulling teeth to get any real information from Garmin.

Back