barneazy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I bought a Garmin dash cam 46 for myself with the parking mode cable.
Using fuse taps, I connected it to my 2021 Subaru Impreza fuse box over the weekend.
(ground to a proper metal on metal bolt, batt wire to fuse 12 (constant), acc wire to fuse 26 (accessory), tested fuse slots myself, also made sure to determine "hot side" of fuse slots and oriented the fuse taps correctly)

So in saying all of that, it works fine.
I moved the jumper to the 12.3V pins and the camera stays on when I turn the car off and continues recording.
It even saves videos like it should when it senses motion.

My issue is this though:
it never seems to enter "parking mode".
All my videos that it saves while parked are stored in the regular videos folder and the "parked videos" folder remains empty.
I don't remember where I found the post, but I also remember reading that the red light flashes in parking mode (not mentioned anywhere in a manual so not sure if true) but mine remains solid red all the time.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
Is there an easy way to fix it or diagnose it?
What am I even looking for because the Garmin help pages are sparse at best.

Tried toggled parking mode on and off + unplugging and turning the camera off and on again.
Looked through settings and don't really see anything.
If I can provide any more info that would be helpful just let me know.

Looks like your installation may not be correct. When you shut the engine off, can you still measure voltage on accessory wire?
Before wiring it permanently in your car, test it on a bench. Connect permanent and accessory wires to 12V, camera should start recording normally. Disconnect accessory and camera should go into parking mode.

Looks like your installation may not be correct. When you shut the engine off, can you still measure voltage on accessory wire?
Before wiring it permanently in your car, test it on a bench. Connect permanent and accessory wires to 12V, camera should start recording normally. Disconnect accessory and camera should go into parking mode.
Thanks for the advice. I ended up trying what you said and disconnected the ACC wire and it entered parking mode.
I tested everything very thoroughly for the BATT wire which I worried about first, and then I must have forgotten which slots I tested had constant power when I picked one for the ACC wire.
Note to self and others: "don't get lazy and just pick a slot you think should be switched power".
Turns out the factory backup camera was a constant power source. who knew...

Back