Garmin 46 - Recording question

Reibach

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hey everyone,

just bought the Garmin dash cam 46. After my first few trips I realize that, in the Drive App, the web cam saved several events and some additional / temporary clips. Still, there are parts from the full trips missing in between.

I understand the camera is recording all the time, the LED is on once I plug the camera in. Can I see the rest of the trip on the SD card through a USB connection? I have a 64gb card and set the camera to delete old clips once the card is full, event detection is on.

I appreciate your advice!

Best regards,
Marco

Easiest way is to pop out the SD card and look at the recordings on your computer.

I have four Garmin 56 cameras. Anything that is an event, including large bumps along goat track quality roads, of which we have a lot! Is saved into separate folder.

I just put the cards into the computer.

Whenever the Garmin Dashcam 46/56/66W records an event, as in a bump etc, it saves that minute to the Event folder. Unfortunately, it loses the minute before and after the incident. So if you export the full trip video there will be gaps. I have that turned off on my Garmin Dashcam 56 for that very reason.

Whenever the Garmin Dashcam 46/56/66W records an event, as in a bump etc, it saves that minute to the Event folder. Unfortunately, it loses the minute before and after the incident. So if you export the full trip video there will be gaps. I have that turned off on my Garmin Dashcam 56 for that very reason.
That is not how it is supposed to work. When an event is triggered, the current video, previous and next ones should also be saved. This is how it is described in the manual and the way I observed on my cams (DC 55 and 56)

That is not how it is supposed to work. When an event is triggered, the current video, previous and next ones should also be saved. This is how it is described in the manual and the way I observed on my cams (DC 55 and 56)
Well, that's not what I've seen, unless that was fixed within this past year. Bottom line, the fact that it lost a minute before and after the saved footage made it rather silly at the time, so if they have fixed that, good, otherwise, not using that feature.

All event videos should be saved in 100EVENT directory on your SD card and they should be exactly 3 minutes long (current, previous and next)
Do you only see 1 minute videos in this directory?

All event videos should be saved in 100EVENT directory on your SD card and they should be exactly 3 minutes long (current, previous and next)
Do you only see 1 minute videos in this directory?
I don't use it anymore, but when it was set to do this by default, all it stored was the 1 minute video of the incident, nothing before or after. Once again, I am not sure if this was an issue just then and has been fixed, but for me the bigger issue was the fact that it was losing a full minute before and after whatever it saved which could also have been relevant...

Missing files from an event save is often indicative of a memory card problem
On a brand new high quality Micro SD card ideally suited for this kind of application? And it's only when event storing is concerned, nothing else. So no, I highly doubt this, plus, I bought two of these Garmin Dashcam 56 cameras and the same Micro SD card type, both were doing exactly the same thing at the time, and both were changed to no longer do this because of the way it ultimately loses some possible relevant footage. If they fixed this, great stuff, but that's what I experienced at the time. Next time I'm bored, I will try it again and see if it's any different. Simply answering what the OP asked, based on my experience so far.

On a brand new high quality Micro SD card ideally suited for this kind of application?
yes, have seen this issue with all sorts of cards, some cards just don't work well with some dashcams, I'm not suggesting it's the only possibility, just that it's something that is known to happen, could well be a firmware issue also

On a brand new high quality Micro SD card

YES
I have had memory cards, that died on me almost before i got to fill them up just 1 time. :cry:
This was some time ago, but it was 64GB cards some of the most expensive cards i have ever gotten ( then costing more then a 256GB card do today ) and both from well know brands.
I also just had some problems with a brand new 256GB card, that far from had the promised speeds, i had to run it over with SD formatter before the speeds was sort of okay, though still not what the maker claim.

@Philip F, If you want to get to the bottom of this, there is a simple test that you can do:
1. Make sure the camera is on and recording for at least 2 minutes
2. Bump it gently to trigger an event, there should be a visual and audible indication that an event occurred.
3. Let it record for another 2 minutes after that.

Take the SD card out, put it to your computer and check the 100EVENT directory. You should see a single 3 minute file.

yes, have seen this issue with all sorts of cards, some cards just don't work well with some dashcams, I'm not suggesting it's the only possibility, just that it's something that is known to happen, could well be a firmware issue also

Sure, I can understand cheap basic, and slower cards not working well and failing prematurely in these kinds of dashcams, not to mention the known heat issue, especially if one uses the parking mode cable, which I don't, but have noticed many times that these dashcams can run very hot. So this puts extra strain on any memory card too. In my case, I invested in a good quality high speed Class 10 64GB Micro SD card for each of these dashcams, and they have otherwise been faultless for the past year and a half! But I have confirmed that it must've have been a firmware issue, see below.

YES
I have had memory cards, that died on me almost before i got to fill them up just 1 time. :cry:
This was some time ago, but it was 64GB cards some of the most expensive cards i have ever gotten ( then costing more then a 256GB card do today ) and both from well know brands.
I also just had some problems with a brand new 256GB card, that far from had the promised speeds, i had to run it over with SD formatter before the speeds was sort of okay, though still not what the maker claim.

Okay, but if you say dead, then completely useless and/or unable to reliably store any footage. I also invested in a good high quality Class 10 64GB Micro SD card after doing some research before purchasing the first dashcam. And other than this Event Detection gap, there has been zero issues with the rest of the footage. But I have confirmed that it must've have been a firmware issue, see below.

@Philip F, If you want to get to the bottom of this, there is a simple test that you can do:
1. Make sure the camera is on and recording for at least 2 minutes
2. Bump it gently to trigger an event, there should be a visual and audible indication that an event occurred.
3. Let it record for another 2 minutes after that.

Take the SD card out, put it to your computer and check the 100EVENT directory. You should see a single 3 minute file.

Well this was what I wanted to do when I had a moment, so did just that. I brought it into the house and connected to a USB power source, enabled the Event Detection and left it to record for a few minutes. I then gave it a sufficient bump to trigger the G-meter to record an event, then left it to continue recording for a few more minutes. After that, I took the dashcam to my PC and reviewed the stored footage. And what do you know, no gaps. It recorded everything from the start, then a 2 minute Event Detection portion (the event being 1 minute in) in the Event folder, and then continued the rest of the recording afterwards. So this confirms my suspicion that it must've been a firmware issue back in early 2020 that's been fixed since.

But I have confirmed that it must've have been a firmware issue, see below.

Well this was what I wanted to do when I had a moment, so did just that. I brought it into the house and connected to a USB power source, enabled the Event Detection and left it to record for a few minutes. I then gave it a sufficient bump to trigger the G-meter to record an event, then left it to continue recording for a few more minutes. After that, I took the dashcam to my PC and reviewed the stored footage. And what do you know, no gaps. It recorded everything from the start, then a 2 minute Event Detection portion (the event being 1 minute in) in the Event folder, and then continued the rest of the recording afterwards. So this confirms my suspicion that it must've been a firmware issue back in early 2020 that's been fixed since.
I must have missed the bit where you mentioned it was an old problem and you had since updated the firmware

I could grab the footage on the cards, they both locked them self into read only mode.
Both was also replaced under warranty, so not the greatest of problems, me always having backup cards.

The 2 cards was U3 from PNY and Trancend ( ultimate )

I has problems with Kinsgton Endurance 128 GB card in dash cam 56.
Sometimes camera records videos with reduced bitrate. sometimes camera warned that card is old and must be changed soon (new card!), one time dash cam refused to write on card completely- the only solution was to format card in other device.
Bought new Sandisk High Endurance 256GB card - no problems at all.

About event recording in 56 - it saves 3 minutes - event minute and one minute before/after.

Back