Garmin 55 - 3.3 to 3.4 differences

Min Sik

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Garmin 55, Blackvue DR650S -2ch failed
New dashcam 55 (FW 3.30) and initial checkout on laptop shows 2 drives. As expected the system drive had a Garmin and a poi directory even had a sample file, ie somewhere where to put stuff like safety camera files.

After the 3.40 update (from 3.30) the directory above was deleted! Hmm, the other drive with the video DCIM directory structure also had a garmin directory however creating anything in here is deleted by a format drive and restore to default settings actions.

So back to the original system drive and I had to create a Garmin/POI directory which appears to now be sticky even with formatting card and restore system settings.
end result all good so far. Long trip 1300km starts tomorrow so hope its just novelty value and is never used for anything serious. However there have been too many times in the past where this purchase has been a good idea.

So to everyone have a safe and happy new year.

I always wondered about this. What does the camera do/display for POI?
There is an option in Garmin Express to import POIs from my nuvi.

600km+ today in most country driving.
However in the middle of nowhere, not near any town in country victoria, at a railway crossing the dashcam beeped like crazy and reported speed and redlight camera ahead, also in city a couple popped up too.

So far that's excellent in my books and paid for itself! Also in car GPS even updated at huge cost does not have this feature and cannot.
Other areas it also warned of school and speed areas. Some warnings even if under but wise to be aware.bmaybe speed was just under the limit at that time.

So gold stars for Garmin. GPS in unit seems in the excellent category.

Lane wobble detect seems too sensitive for crap Australia roads so it might be turned off.

Voice CTL doesn't work yet but that may need training maybe.

Pleased yours is working well! My new one has gone odd after the update. I’m using a Mac and now I get odd messages saying it can’t initialise a drive and VC has gone. The start up has changed to ‘American English’ and I now have to go through setup each time. Very annoying!

Btw, I unticked lane warning - too many false alerts.

Pleased yours is working well! My new one has gone odd after the update. I’m using a Mac and now I get odd messages saying it can’t initialise a drive and VC has gone. The start up has changed to ‘American English’ and I now have to go through setup each time. Very annoying!

Btw, I unticked lane warning - too many false alerts.

Had exactly the same issue, and after few mails exchanged with Garmin Support, including sending logs etc ... that's their answer :

"
Hello XXXXXX,

Where are you located at? I have found that your device was corrupted which is why it is missing the language and voice command. The unit needs to be replaced."

When i received the new one I made a copy of GARMIN volumes, and indeed, the old one was missing some files in Garmin/Text

Had exactly the same issue, and after few mails exchanged with Garmin Support, including sending logs etc ... that's their answer :

Ah - thanks very much. Based on feedback I saw on Amazon (I bought mine at Halfords, here in London) it seems to be a problem annoying quite a few users and especially as it retails here with lifetime speed cameras, which means people get online fairly quickly to update the POIs.

I tried a reinstall using my daughter's PC (Windows). It recognised both drives straight away, unlike sh*tty Apple, but the files are still corrupted. At least it doesnt cycle through the setup each time I start it now. Just loss of voice control and stuck on US English. My iMac wouldn't power the device properly eoither, which complicated the reinstall. :-(

I'll ring Garmin next week. HNY!

On my second unit now and managed to run GE without corrupting the drives. Still cant install the UK safety camera update. Garmin support are pretty useless. Halfords exchanged the unit straight away and top marks to them.

Back