Garmin 55+ cut off time

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new Garmin 55+ and parking mode cable fitted yesterday at Halfords, neat job by the fitter. I asked him to move the jumper pin inside the voltage thingy from default 11.? to 12.3v, I watched him do it. I left it on parking mode all last night. Parking mode recordings lasted from 17.45 and the last one being at 22.35. Does this mean the car battery cut off point was reached at 22.35. only 5 hours?

The car battery is only 2 weeks old , same as the car and its healthy.

That could be, or there was no other area external motion after 22:35 that triggered the camera to record. I have my voltage set at 12.0

Eventually took it back to Halfords as I found that all worked fine using the cigarette light port, but no power reaching the cam via hardwire kit. Halfords guy agreed and using the multimeter in the voltage regulator which was set for 12.3v came to the conclusion the regulator was defective. Got a new hardwire kit from the store out changed the jumper to 12.3v and result was the same, wouldn't work.
After doing checks on the new regulator all the readings were what he would have expected. back down to the fuse box with the multi meter and 12v coming through there into the regulator ok but not going up the usb cable to the came. The jumper was put back to the default 11.??v and voila the cam started working as normal.

Tried changing jumper to 12 volts and 12.3v and cam would not work. Back to 11.??v and all was well again. there was 12. something volt coming out of the fuse box but the guy reckoned it should be higher and the regulator decided it was not high enough, car battery itself was 12.54v.

Because the car is the new 2019 Fiesta Active 1.0T 125ps he reckons the might be some new wizardry perhaps on the engine side restricting the amount of volts needed on cabin side of the fuse box. Is this possible?
Now I will need to keep a eye on the car battery with my multimeter.

There is also "Parked Recording Timeout" setting. Are you sure it is set to always record?

No parked recording timeout option on my garmin 55+. Firmware version 4.30

"...there was 12. something volt coming out of the fuse box..".
It's hard to help here when we don't know what the actual voltage is at the fuse panel. There is a big difference if it's 12.0 or 12.5 or 12.8 or what it might be.

No parked recording timeout option on my garmin 55+. Firmware version 4.30
To change the Parked Recording Timeout:
  1. Select Settings
  2. Select Camera
  3. Select Record While Parked
  4. Select Parked Recording Timeout
  5. Select the duration for which you would like the device to remain in Parking Mode

Parking accessory must be properly connected for this to show in settings.

To change the Parked Recording Timeout:
  1. Select Settings
  2. Select Camera
  3. Select Record While Parked
  4. Select Parked Recording Timeout
  5. Select the duration for which you would like the device to remain in Parking Mode

Parking accessory must be properly connected for this to show in settings.

I'm begining to think your right Lacibaci regarding proper connection. I have a mk8 fiesta active 1.
I had a look at the fuse box today to see where Halford guy had put the fuse taps. The hardwire kit onto fuse number 17 which will be switched, it controls audio & infotainment so I guess that one is OK for normal driving.
Parking mode cable is attached to Fuse number 3, according to handbook this is for Parking Assist Control Module, this car does NOT have parking assist, assuming that is the self parking thingy. So am correct in assuming there maybe no power coming from fuse 3 or although it may show a reading there maybe nothing on the backside of that fuse?

As mentioned in my 1st post there was a problem with jumpers not working on 12.3v &12v, only 11.7 was working, I'm now thinking if fuse number 3 had no power the dashcam parking mode would only work for a limited time approx 5 hours operating from internal battery/capacitors. If this was the case then is it possible the 12 & 12.3v detected there was not enough juice via the internal battery and would stop working?

I'm begining to think your right Lacibaci regarding proper connection. I have a mk8 fiesta active 1.
I had a look at the fuse box today to see where Halford guy had put the fuse taps. The hardwire kit onto fuse number 17 which will be switched, it controls audio & infotainment so I guess that one is OK for normal driving.
Parking mode cable is attached to Fuse number 3, according to handbook this is for Parking Assist Control Module, this car does NOT have parking assist, assuming that is the self parking thingy. So am correct in assuming there maybe no power coming from fuse 3 or although it may show a reading there maybe nothing on the backside of that fuse?

As mentioned in my 1st post there was a problem with jumpers not working on 12.3v &12v, only 11.7 was working, I'm now thinking if fuse number 3 had no power the dashcam parking mode would only work for a limited time approx 5 hours operating from internal battery/capacitors. If this was the case then is it possible the 12 & 12.3v detected there was not enough juice via the internal battery and would stop working?
It's possible, DC55 will shut down as soon as the external power is lost or it dips bellow threshold.
Maybe you can temporarily connect constant wire (yellow) directly to the battery (via appropriate inline fuse) and test it for a couple of days...

Well I feel like a bit of a pillock
I couldn't see the parking mode time out options cos I was trying to set it up at the pc. Went back to Halfords and the guy found options explain it needs to be connected to the car.
All sorted now thanks and default 11.7v changed to 12.3v. Now just to find optimal position on windscreen as the new fiesta has a great bit big box under the rearview mirror hiding the sensors for the front, if I put cam' behind mirror the box hides half the camera view. . Thanks to all who replied.

Back