Garmin 55 - what would you change?

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those that own and use a Garmin 55, if there was a feature or thing about it that you'd change, what would that be?

This model seems to be the one I might purchase soon (as in tomorrow). Hence my question.
Thanks in advance all

1. Parking mode videos should be included in rotation
2. Mount (the part that attaches to the camera) could be sturdier. Why not use standard 1/4" ?
3. Video quality could be vastly improved by increasing bit rate

That the charging cable wouldn't be proprietary and would work with my mirror tap (invisicord)!

That it would not beep loudly on startup to tell me there are parking videos.
That the phone app worked

Parking mode with G sensor events only. The motion detection fills up the sd card with passing cars and pedestrians.

Don't own one but...

Option for attaching it other mounts, provide a 1/4" tripod mount thread. Lose the battery and the bronze/orange ring and also the branding from the front.

Don't own one but...

Option for attaching it other mounts, provide a 1/4" tripod mount thread. Lose the battery and the bronze/orange ring and also the branding from the front.
agreed. more stealth.

Supercaps

No sale for Garmin here until then which is a shame as it's otherwise turned out to be a good dashcam.

Phil

Non proprietary cable, supercapacitor option, low framerate parking mode, ability to turn off the recording of thumbnail video files

Add more voice commands... (as per the Virb360)
Stop Recording
Start Recording
Bookmark This (to have the ability to later get back to a specific point easily, without hunting through clips

Add more voice commands... (as per the Virb360)
Stop Recording
Start Recording
Bookmark This (to have the ability to later get back to a specific point easily, without hunting through clips
The last one is kind of there. You can say "Save video" or "Save picture"
But I agree. Voice commands are awesome.

Yes, but I don't necessarily want to save it . Just a bookmark to get back to. Taking a pic is not going to work

Taking a pic does work, and that's how I mark time with my 45
I get what you're saying, but it's like writing down the time on a sticky note :) will see how it goes, but a bookmark option will still be nice

I get what you're saying, but it's like writing down the time on a sticky note :) will see how it goes, but a bookmark option will still be nice

I think you can tell it to save video and it will put that video in a separate folder

I’m struggling with the comments on proprietary cables here.
I have a Garmin 55 and am not using the cable that came with it. Just a standard USB cable with a right angle connector on the end and it works fine.
BtW if I could change anything it would be so I could turn off the voice control and then be able to save a video with just a single button press rather than a press and hold which takes your hands off the wheel for too long

So you don't get a message that the cable you are using will not charge the camera? So how long have you driven with it this way? My invisicord will run it for a while but it usually shuts off due to low battery after about 20 minutes.

So you don't get a message that the cable you are using will not charge the camera? So how long have you driven with it this way? My invisicord will run it for a while but it usually shuts off due to low battery after about 20 minutes.
I have seen a message occasionally about the cable not being the right one at start up but I have always ignored it as the camera functions fine.
My typical journey time at about 3 hours and I have had the camera just over a year. I just assumed it was because it was a cheap cable but as it worked it never concerned me.

Since I updated the camera a few days ago with the latest software, it hasn't shut down once while driving. Maybe the update fixed whatever the issue was. I'm still using the invisicord connected to the rear view mirror. I still receive the message about the cable not charging the device but for now it appears that it is.

Back