Garmin 56 or 66W - What have you found to be your clearest camera resolution?

Iggy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S V2, Lexar High Endurance Class 10 32GB memory
OK we know we have a few to select.
1. Highest Resolution 2560 x 1440 30fps with HDR ON
2. 1080p, 1920 x 1080 60fps with HDR OFF
3. 1080p, 1920 x 1080 30fps with HDR ON

Your opinion counts

I run at 1440p with 256GB cards.

Thanks lacibac.

My Update Dec 29, 2019
I did buy a Garmin 56 and tested it out and wasn't impressed enough with picture quality.
Liked the voice commands and the simplicity of the cam I decided to return it.
You see I live in Arizona where it gets really hot in the summer (115 degrees) and the dash gets even hotter with the windshield.
Being it has a battery and has a issue with overheating this was the secondary reason I decided to return.
I'm sure it's a great camera but didn't fit me needs.

See my signature what I bought instead.

I really like the 56's and have 2 in my truck using 128gb cards. Heat has not been an issue during the summer. They have performed as expected, with no shutdowns.

I really like the 56's and have 2 in my truck using 128gb cards. Heat has not been an issue during the summer. They have performed as expected, with no shutdowns.

That's great Gary.
I tried my best with my Garmin 56 but after looking at the video on my desktop 4k monitor I wasn't impressed.
I did like the voice commands, wifi and app. Maybe if they get a bit more resolution I may consider them again.

The funny part is Oregon has no heat in the summer lol. Your hottest day is a cool winter day here in Arizona.
Our heat in the summer is 115 degrees in the shade so guess what the windshield temperature gets up to.

That's great Gary.
I tried my best with my Garmin 56 but after looking at the video on my desktop 4k monitor I wasn't impressed.
I did like the voice commands, wifi and app. Maybe if they get a bit more resolution I may consider them again.

The funny part is Oregon has no heat in the summer lol. Your hottest day is a cool winter day here in Arizona.
Our heat in the summer is 115 degrees in the shade so guess what the windshield temperature gets up to.

You've never been to Oregon if you think the weather is like that. In Southern Oregon, summer temperatures are routinely in the 90's with a few weeks in the 100's. That's not a "cool winter day" for you in Arizona. No, we don't have days of 115, but it's hotter here than you say. And it's not, as you say "funny" that it's cooler here than in Arizona, it's great.

Glad I found this thread, I have recently purchased two of these Garmin Dash Cam 56 cameras and initially I must say that I was kinda disappointed by the image quality. I originally had it on the highest resolution and when viewed on my PC I immediately noticed that the video quality is very noisy and not terribly sharp. I then decided to step the video quality down to the 1920 x 1080 30fps HDR ON setting since my PC monitor is only capable of that anyway, and while not improved, happy with that resolution for now and still have plenty of recording time possible on the 64GB micro SD card. Back to the video quality though, I have got two old GoPro Hero 2 action cameras which I've used for many years now and I was surprised that the daylight video quality on the old GoPro action cameras is quite a bit better, sharper and far less noise, but when it gets dark, that's where they fall flat on their faces and where the Garmin Dash Cam 56 is so much better!

Back