Garmin 57 review

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Garmin sent me their 57 cam for review free of charge, but you can be assured that I am unbiased in my reviews as always. With each thing mentioned I'll assign a rating such as this: (x/10) with (1/10) being worst and (10/10) being best when compared to all the other cams I have used and cams I know something of. I may change these ratings as my testing and use proceeds! As always you need to do your own research before purchasing a cam; all I can do here is relate to you what I find and what my opinions are.

(REVISED 9/1/21 regards wifi and app)
(REVISED 9/12/21 regards mount)
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

The box is a nice multi-color matter print with the 3 pics of the cam in gloss. The locking tab however doesn't 'lock' anything but comes straight out with opening the lid, but the wings on the lid hold it closed securely enough(8/10). Inside I found the cam to be smaller than I imagined and cradled in folded cardboard instead of the more-often seen foam inserts; a more environmentally-friendly packaging than usual. In removing the cam the next thing I noticed was that the lens projects past the surrounding case, leaving it vulnerable to scratching or breaking if dropped or mis-handled(4/10). We should be careful with our cams but this situation needn't exist and we all know accidents do happen. Next I noticed the sticky-mount which is quite compact with a wide range of adjustability, and it seems to be reasonably tight, but I'd prefer it a bit tighter- time alone will tell if it holds up to my rough-riding work van(7/10). Under the cardboard cradle were 2 cables, an extra mount dot (more on this below), a small cigarette-lighter plug USB adapter with 2 ports stamped with the Garmin name, and a bag containing 2 booklets. After noticing the 90 degree ends on the cables (which is a very nice touch) I had a look at the owners manual. Big problem- there isn't one, only a pictorial foldout showing how to mount the cam and where to run the cables (2/10) and a thick multi-language booklet with warnings and instructions regarding the use of what it calls a "LiIon" battery (10/10). If it is LiIon and not LiPo, it's one of a very few cams using this. I like the extensive safety info; most cam companies hardly mention anything more than the temp range which the cam and battery can be used in. I'm aghast at the lack of an owner's manual(0/10), although to be fair it's easy to find on the Garmin website and in this day and age almost everyone can access that, but it's alienating those who may not have internet access or whose phones have limited data plans.

As to the mount, when I initially inspected the cam it seemed as if the 3M tape was part of the mount, and the extra disc in the box was stuck to an nonagonal metal plate which was not magnetic. Lacking a manual I couldn't make sense of that, and it was only after attaching the cam to my windshield and pulling on it that I discovered the secret: This cam mounts magnetically, and the 'extra tape' is actually a second mount so you can easily swap this cam between 2 cars. Not so good is that the tape loosened from my windshield after 9 weeks. This cam is heavy and may not have enough surface area of tape to hold it (7/10). On seeing how securely the mount held the cam in position and driving over rough roads I love the magnets. I'm left wondering if it will rotate in use as the mount is offset to one side of the cam. So far so good but I'd like a more firm attachment; I'm big on having my cam's very strongly mounted. For those who might want it, a suction mount is available as an extra-cost option. The ball-and-socket portion of the mount lies half in the mount (ball) and half in the cam (socket). There is no means of tightening that connection but it seems OK. Given my hot summers here I've had plastic on cams weaken and deform so this might become a problem for folks like me. You are supposed to not leave the cam mounted in a hot car to catch direct sunlight during hot summer days, but few people do that, and in my testing it will remain on the windshield same as all my other cams.

My initial testing is always done without accessing the manual to see how intuitive the cam's operations are; I will go into that fully later on. The Garmin 57 does have an LCD screen(9/10) with a menu accessible by pushing the 3rd button down, then using the lower button to select from the different menu sections, then using the 2 middle up-or-down buttons to select the parameters with the bottom button saving your selection. It can be intuitive enough, but when you use as many different cams as I do the multiple-menu cams can be frustrating at times without access to a manual (6/10). The range of selections is average to below average; many of the better cams allow more flexibility in setting up the cam exactly as you want (4/10). This cam is meant to primarily be controlled by an app although that isn't absolutely necessary. You will need to answer a couple questions on the cam screen regards placement and vehicle type before use which are needed by it's ADAS features.

I have an Andriod 7 phone and picked up the "GarnminDrive" app at Google play. Once it was installed it would not function; the "next" button at the bottom was grayed out and inoperable. After not getting anywhere with connecting I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Still nothing. I discovered that it's necessary to open a Garmin account to proceed, so I did that and logged in. This app connects through Bluetooth and I had that enabled. After several attempts following the app's on-screen troubleshooting advice it sent me an email with a single-use passcode which got things going. I'm a basic Andriod user and I found setting up the app somewhat frustrating; no other cam's apps have ever required this much work to install and use, and none required that I open an account with the manufacturer either. I think most folks will not have much trouble with this, but if you're like me and not deep into your phone's app function use, you may want to have your kid handy to set things up for you. Once I got the app working it was intuitive and easy to use overall. I do wish they'd offer more cam functionality choices there such as bitrate, exposure metering selection, and a selection of settings for parking mode usage. Loading the app is (3/10) and using it is (5/10)

continued next page

Last edited:
E-MANUAL
The manual is accessible at Garmin's website and through the app. It's scant on information but adequate for basic users. The troubleshooting section is near-worthless but you can get help through their support system. The manual is fairly easy to use. Mostly because it's lack of depth it rates a 3/10.

G-SENSOR
The g-sensor with the 57 is inclusive with one setting for driving and parking. For parking it is marginal, requiring a fairly hard shock to activate when set on high sensitivity. In driving it activates on the worst potholes, and strangely enough on undulating surfaces without any bumps. I've seen lots worse so it gets 6/10 from me.

MOTION DETECT
Not available in the 57

GPS
The GPS allows a selection of time, location, and speed to be displayed on the video. Cold lock here is about 10 seconds, warm lock nearly instant. It seems to hold the signal well.

VOICE CONTROL
Give the cam a sample of your voice and then by saying "OK Garmin" (user changeable) it allows you to save a vid or pic along with the option of sending it to the "Vault". The "Vault" feature of this cam stores your clips or pics on a Garmin server for 24 hours for free; this service is upgradeable via a monthly subscription to 7 or 30 days storage. You need to set up an account with Garmin to use the 'Vault' feature, which allows you to access it online with any device. I tried 'fooling' the cam with a higher and lower voice pitch and it wouldn't accept the command, so there might be an issue with multiple drivers. Even speaking softly it activated. 9/10 only because of the limited commands, 10/10 for functionality.

ADAS
The ADAS functions include lane departure, forward collision warning, and "Go alert" to let you know the car ahead of you has begun moving. There is a set-up procedure and sensitivity adjustments, but all I could manage to get with any settings were a couple "Go Alerts". 1/10

PARKING
Activation during parking mode relies on the G-sensor, there are no other modes available. Parking mode is indicated by and on-screen notification and once begun the LED indicator will go from flashing to solidly lit. Unlike older Garmin cams you no longer need a special "parking mode cable", the 57 can be set to start it's "Parking Guard" coverage at 3, 5, or 10 minutes after the car has stopped moving. There is a "Timer" function where you can set a limit on how long this coverage will go before the cam shuts down which can protect your car battery from being over-discharged. If you have an older Parking Guard cable it can still be used for the 57; you don't need to run new cabling. Parking mode switching is about 90% reliable, sometimes the cam just keeps recording normally. I'd recommend using this cam with the parking mode cable for best reliability.

WIFI and APP
You can access a menu, change cam settings, and download a clip or pic through the Garmin Drive app. You can pair the cam with your phone app using Bluetooth which worked great for me the first time then refused to fully connect afterward. It takes 2 Bluetoogh connections where their older cams (as do most other cams) need only one. To connect with this cam I have to reboot both cam and phone, then it will work once. That's a 3 1/2 minute process for me and frustrating beyond belief. I've looked around and asked for input from other users- those results range from "works great" to some problems to people like me. Seems to happen as much with IOS/Apple as with Android. I can't get wifi to connect with my phone, but I suspect that is a problem with my phone as you lose wifi when you enter "airplane mode" whereas it can still be on with most phones. Still I've seen many reports of dropped connections, corrupted files, and dropped frames when trying to DL a file via wifi. The app has limited user-choices in the menu compared to many other cams, and little of use in trying to resolve any issues you encounter on your own. After consulting with others I'll give the Garmin "Drive" app a 4/10 score but personally I rate it 0/10. I've used some crappy phone apps for dashcams which were better than this.

VIDEO
I've searched far and wide but have come up empty trying to find which sensor and processor are used in this cam. I'll update if and when I get that info. I've used only the 1440P30fps video setting which is the top level for the 57. A 1080P60fps is available as well as lower settings but I highly doubt that anyone will use those as there's no benefit to them. Watch the vids I've posted here and I think you'll agree that this cam does very good daytime video. Nighttime vids will be added to this review ASAP. Top grade for a 1440P cam but 8/10 only because 4K can now be had in dashcams.

AUDIO
The mic and audio work great, sensitivity is perfect and audio is clear. However in today's testing while parked at home I discovered what seems to be some kind of electronic interference in the sound when vid files are played. Nothing else was turned on so I'm not sure of the source nor has that happened in previous testing.

SPECS
I haven't been able to find which sensor or processor is used in the 57; I'll post that if and when I can get those answers. Cards from 8GB to 512GB can be used with this cam, xlass 10 or higher required. I'ce tested mine with the supplied 16GB Transcend card, a 128GB Samsung ECO Select, and a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme A2, and all work well so far. The listed temperature range is -20C/-4F to 55C/141F, but with the battery instead of supercaps I'm concerned about use in hotter climates where at best shortened battery life can be expected.

The compact mount is nice, the cam is relatively small and discreet, video and audio are very good, and the supplied card is a nice touch.
DISLIKES
No paper manual and a minimal E-manual, battery instead of supercaps, only G-sensor parking mode, average setting choices, having to register an account to use the app. The app has been nearly impossible to use, most of the time I have to reboot my phone and the cam to connect and I've never been able to get "Live View" to work. The app loads slow and has limited user choices available. I've checked with others and looked around and have found many have problems with the app while some have no problems at all.

CONCLUSION
I like this cam and it should serve most folks well, but those in hotter climates (especially when wanting parking mode) might be better off with a cam that uses supercaps. Have no expectations of the app or wifi, nobody can tell you how those will work for you.

Long term testing will be added to this review later.

P6300004.JPG

P6300007.JPGP6300009.JPG
P6300011.JPG
L to R: B4K, A139, Garmin 57, B2K

Last edited:
Well foks, I'd like to do better but I can't get my vid editor to coordinate these vids so you'll have to cue them to start together yourself. Top will be the Garmin 57, next will be the Viofo A139 @1440p/30fps, and last will be the Blueskysea B4K. Link to raw files under each video. Start the top vid at 0:10, view the middle vid from zero, and start the bottom vid at 0:30 to coordinate them.
Raw File HERE
Raw File HERE
Raw File HERE
NIGHTTIME
Raw File HERE
Raw File HERE
Raw File HERE

Last edited:
Thank you for the initial review. I get p....d off when there is no manual.

I am happy with my 56 cameras and it will be interesting reading about the 57. But there was a 6 out of 6 failure rate for set up if the camera did not get a full satellite signal for the 56. I found out this set up issue... eventually.

I resolved the issue by plugging the cameras into an 18volt Bosch battery tool adaptor & stood outside with camera reaching the sky. A clear day worked quicker getting satellite signal.

Hopefully this satellite signal setup issue has been sorted out for the 57. Or at the very least stated clearly in PRINT to make sure the camera gets a full signal, so people who are not as patient and persistent as me, and having multiple cameras which all 6 could not be failing, don't end up returning a good camera simply due to lack of basic communication.

Empowering, just about anyone is a good thing to do, so they them self cam be smart and make good decisions.
Dashcam makers ( too ) i often feel could do better in this regard

The Garmin steel nonogon (9 sided) you stick to the windscreen gives you a bit of leeway.

You can twist the "dogleg" mounting bracket left or right 40° (1/9 of a nonogon) so the camera will be shifted a touch left or right.

It's not a lot, but it's a small mounting adjustment option up your sleeve.

The Garmin steel nonogon (9 sided) you stick to the windscreen gives you a bit of leeway.

You can twist the "dogleg" mounting bracket left or right 40° (1/9 of a nonogon) so the camera will be shifted a touch left or right.

It's not a lot, but it's a small mounting adjustment option up your sleeve.
Bloody heck- it IS a nonogon! Edit time again :rolleyes:
I'll check the GPS carefully and tag you when I add that to my review.

Currently fighting 'openshot' trying to coordinate some video comparison clips. Used to be easy with the old Windows bloatware but now that's useless and with this old laptop and my low bank account a decent vid editor is out of the question :mad:

Phil

I must apologize profusely, not a Nonogon but a Nonagon.
My keyboard skills (brain) have gone out the window!

At least it's not a dodecahedron, so you're forgiven :p

Phil

So if you don't own a smartphone what can't you do ?
The cam is still functional with use of the LCD screen and menu, unlike some (many?) other cams which don't have screens. It's just easier for a lot of people to use the phone app.

I'm going to do more checking today; as I noted at the beginning of my review I'm not done yet. I just wanted to get as much of the review work out of the way as I could while I had time, and as I do these without templates or word processing programs that meant posting what I had ;)

Stay tuned, more will be coming today :cool:
Phil

How did you get Garmin to send you this as a beta tester?

FYI Garmin appears to offer a Garmin 57 with an interior camera, too:

How did you get Garmin to send you this as a beta tester?

FYI Garmin appears to offer a Garmin 57 with an interior camera, too:

Was sent for review, not beta testing

Was sent for review, not beta testing

Wonder how be became a reviewer for garmin products? Also, they make a dual camera of the 57 model. One facing out windshield and then lens facing interior of car.

Wonder how be became a reviewer for garmin products? Also, they make a dual camera of the 57 model. One facing out windshield and then lens facing interior of car.
someone reached out to @SawMaster and asked I guess, a lot of reviews happen like that, they look at experience, post history, what other products have been used etc and contact people that they feel might be suitable

someone reached out to @SawMaster and asked I guess, a lot of reviews happen like that, they look at experience, post history, what other products have been used etc and contact people that they feel might be suitable
Luck bastard ;)

not really, doing a review properly is a lot of work, the free product doesn't really compensate for that

;) Well Properly is Subjective. A lot of people simply get the free product, use it a day, then write a superficial review.

I'm the opposite . I test the hell out of a product and push things to their limits. Like me, hate me, etc. I base my reviews on results. Such as Zenfox. My current A139 (most likely defective). And other products I've gotten. Videos don't lie!

If something says it should work, I document it and make sure it does.

Too bad there are a lot of other people who simply get a product, rave about it, and mislead others into purchasing based upon little or no experience of actually testing the product's capabilities.

;) Well Properly is Subjective. A lot of people simply get the free product, use it a day, then write a superficial review.
Amazon cash for comment reviews

Too bad there are a lot of other people who simply get a product, rave about it, and mislead others into purchasing based upon little or no experience of actually testing the product's capabilities.
I have complete faith that @SawMaster does not fall into that category, for sure there are some reviews where the reviewer has some bias, whether they acknowledge it or not, some are just money making ventures and all about affiliate marketing

Last edited:
Back