Garmin 66W questions

SQ5R8

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I bought a Garmin 66W version as also the parking mode cable. I have a few questions about this item.

- When i shut off the 66W and boot it up again it keeps asking me for the country settings all the time. It's really annoying. i downloaded the latest firmware, but it is still doing that. Is this a known issue?

- I was wondering if parking mode detects a low battery in the car? I am planning to setup a Garmin Mini as a rear camera, but i am a little in doubt about power usage of those two combined, because my car sometimes stands still for about two weeks. Does it shut off both cams when it detects a lower battery value. it is a start/stop car.

Thanks in advance.

1. It looks like it never got a solid GPS lock. Make sure to complete the setup where you can get a good GPS signal.

2. Yes. The parking module contains battery protection (as mentioned in the manual)

Thanks for the answer. the manual included to the parking cable did not mentioned anything about guarding the car battery. But, i opened the black box of this cable and there were jumpers which you can set. Default the jumper is located at 11.7v, but i placed it on 12.3v as a normal good battery has a voltage of 12.8v. So the camera will shut down when my car's battery is drained to 12.3v now instead of 11.7v. As you can see in the image below 11.7v is only 30% left of the battery which could be too low if you want to start a start/stop car. With a 70% full you have more luck to get it all running again.

Attachments

• Ontladingstabel 12 Volt SMF accus.jpg
    Ontladingstabel 12 Volt SMF accus.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 10
If your car has auto stop/start function, battery voltage drops frequently bellow 12V. It's usually for a fraction of a second, but long enough for the camera to detect it.

Even at night? I mean, the cable is for parking mode, so most of the time the battery is full when you put it away after a drive.

It's only when the engine restarts so you should be ok overnight. If it's too sensitive you can always adjust it.

Ah great, but does this mean that the camera wouldn't go on after a start if it drops under the 12.3v? Or can i manually put it on again?

If it drops bellow 12.3V it will shut down and turn back on when the voltage is >12.3V

Great, good pointer to see if the car battery is going to die :)

Would love to know if anyone has worked out how the Garmin Parking Cable “instructs” the dash cam to put itself into Parking Mode. Guessing it senses ACC power is off, so then sends a power signal to the dash cam? I’m trying to find a way to avoid having the parking cable but manually switch the dash cam into parking (I’ve an EV which doesn’t have a perm 12V power, so using a USB power pack).

With parking mode accessory kit, the camera is always powered from +12V constant wire. Accessory wire is used to tell camera to start "normal" recording (as opposed to "parking mode") You can probably figure it out with a multi meter. The micro USB has only 5 pins:
https://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/micro_usb_pinout.shtml

My bet would be that pin 4 is used to signal "driving" mode.

My bet would be that pin 4 is used to signal "driving" mode.

@Iacibaci thanks, wise words and makes sense. Looks like I’m going to have to purchase the Parking Cable and experiment a bit first.

@Iacibaci thanks, wise words and makes sense. Looks like I’m going to have to purchase the Parking Cable and experiment a bit first.
Hello there,

did you test with the parking mode cable?
I got the same issue (i would like to have the cam in parking mode but powered with a power bank) but i would know before i am going to buy a parking mode cable.

Thankyou for your reply.

Back