Garmin announces HD dash cam for US market

Garmin Dash Cam 10 (without GPS) has a suggested retail price of $219.99 and Dash Cam 20 (with GPS) has a suggested retail price of $249.99. Both cameras are expected to become available in February 2014
Feels a little strange to see a GPS manufacture have a model without GPS. Never the less just the fact that is is on the US Blog is exciting.

Probably Garmin reads DCT forum and "stole" Dash Cam words from here ? :)

Probably Garmin reads DCT forum and "stole" Dash Cam words from here ? :)
I wonder if they put
Dash Cam
Car Cam
Black Box
Car DVR ect in a hat and just pulled one

To me the big "Garmin" logo reads expensive, steal me

Not surprised to see them enter the market, in Korea over 50% of the market share for dashcams is split between two brands that are also the strongest in the market for GPS sales, the GPS sales channel is a natural fit for the product

Shame to do that and bring out a product that looks so much like some existing Chinese products though

Not surprised to see them enter the market, in Korea over 50% of the market share for dashcams is split between two brands that are also the strongest in the market for GPS sales, the GPS sales channel is a natural fit for the product

Shame to do that and bring out a product that looks so much like some existing Chinese products though

Garmins first attempt was not very successful, to early to say if this will be but at USD 200-300 they have some stiff competition and they will compete with other stand-alone cameras.

I guess they sooner or later will offer small "camera-only" add-ons that can be connected to the GPS they sell.....that could be a game changer.

I guess they sooner or later will offer small "camera-only" add-ons that can be connected to the GPS they sell.....that could be a game changer.

I don't feel that's a good solution, I think they'd crash and burn if they do, they're GPS experts, they should be capitalising on that with the camera product with better functionality, they'd have the resources I'm sure, perhaps they haven't learnt enough about the DVR business yet to know that, perhaps they're working on it already, who knows, the larger the company the slower they can be to react sometimes

One thing I really like about this offering is that it has a universal ball attachment to the windshield. Too many dash cams expect you to mount directly in the center (under the rearview mirror), but I like to put the camera in a corner of the windshield. With the usual mounting, that means you can't line up your camera to a true horizontal.

I also like that you can quickly detach the Garmin camera and use it for snapshots at an accident scene. Both accidents I've been involved in during 2013, I used an HD camera to walk around and record everything. Without that camera I would have had considerable difficulty explaining things to an insurance company, particularly in the one case where the other driver made up a story.

It's very curious that in all the release data from Garmin, no mention is made of camera lens field-of-view. To me, this is one of the most important criteria, and a product like the upcoming GuardTrak GT2S (aka "Black Bunny") has a 96-degree FOV, which I consider far preferable to wider ones.

Garmins first attempt was not very successful, to early to say if this will be but at USD 200-300 they have some stiff competition and they will compete with other stand-alone cameras.

I've got a garmin nuuvi satnav & I'm sure I saw something in the literature about a dashcam-type add on. When I, briefly, looked into it I didn't get much further along than the high price.

Both accidents I've been involved in during 2013, I used an HD camera to walk around and record everything. Without that camera I would have had considerable difficulty explaining things to an insurance company, particularly in the one case where the other driver made up a story..

I've only had one 'incident' & it was in the middle of a very busy junction so we didn't want to hang around with traffic whizzing close by.
The other guy kept shouting about my fault etc & I simply said to exchange details & let the insurance sort it. Of course, the dashcam captured the whole thing - 100% HIS fault. Without the dashcam it would've been put down as 50/50.
But there really was no need for pictures after the event & the assessors would take their own pics anyway. The most important thing was what happened prior to the accident.
I think the thing with pics if you don't have a dashcam is the facts that are presented - exact location, weather, lighting etc.

If possible, I think it is good idea to take photos of the vehicles right after the accident, before they are moved.

There's a TV show in the U.S. called the People's Court where real people settle their small claims court cases on TV (with a real judge presiding). I watch this show often to learn about the law and one of the most common cases are traffic accidents where people dispute who is at fault. The judge always asks for pictures and sometimes a picture of the vehicles before they were moved helps the judge determine who is at fault. Dash cam footage would probably seal the case, but one of the advice they always say on the show is to take pictures of the vehicles before they are moved, when possible.

Of course this isn't always possible like if the accident happens on a busy highway and you need to pull over for safety, but I think it is a good idea to document the scene before the cars are moved when possible.

I found someone in Las Vegas that uses some sort of Garmin dash cam as seen below. Quality seems very good, especially for night time.

Way too much time on his hands over mostly trivial stuff... ^

Back