Garmin Dash Cam™ Tandem

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dual-lens Dash Cam with Two 180-degree Lenses

Interesting...seems like it was launched today based on the press release.

Interesting...seems like it was launched today based on the press release.
CES usually leads to timing of product announcements and new releases, maximum free press

I have both FCW and LDW on and it's ok. I also don't drive in the city or stop and go traffic where this probably doesn't work well.

chasing the Uber market I guess

It is a big market slice I guess. Dashcams still haven't caught on big-time here in the US but Uber/Lyft and Taxi drivers are recognizing their value and beginning to flock toward them, so with Garmin being a well-know brand here I think they will get lots of sales with this one :cool: I'm glad they're finally moving toward supercaps as that was always my biggest concern with their cams (y) I guess I'll have to settle on the boxy form-factor to complain about as not much else doesn't appeal to me with this one :ROFLMAO:

In looking at their ad page, the views shown don't seem to have true 180 degree horizontal coverage although the FOV is quite wide and the IQ looks good from edge-to-edge. It is as they claim far more coverage than I've seen in it's competitors, and I think this is also going to help with their sales. Whether the lack of LDW and FCW impacts sales I cannot say, but I am not and never will be interested in those features- YMMV ;)

I've always felt that Garmin wasn't quite as matured with their approach to dashcams as they are with their other products; they were always "on target" but never quite "hitting the bullseye" :( This cam and their other recent developments have changed that with me and now I feel that I can recommend them without reservation. I can't wait till someone here gets their hands on this one and gives it a deep going-over and thrashing :D

Phil

That fan must be really slow moving, cuz little fans use to be screaming loud, i remember vividly back in the day with 1 or more 40 mm fans was the norm on a CPU and / or the chipset in a computer.
And in a camera like that it have to be pretty much no noise as the microphone will otherwise pick it up.

Are the guy sure its a actual fan ?? could be just fan like molded plastic.

If indeed it is a cooling fan, then they will be the first large manufacturer to implement this (and maybe the first anywhere!). I'm sure that active cooling will help cams, but relying on them means that you're adding to the current draw which will reduce or eliminate use-time in parking modes :( Everything is a compromise and nothing comes without a cost.

Still waiting to see an in-depth review by one of our members; I trust us to have more pertinent knowledge of dashcams than those whose interests are more diverse.

Phil

You can see the fan in those pics on the vents to the left of the front view near the Garmin logo - maybe they've got the speed wound down with PWM so it just encourages slow moving airflow and keeps noise low.

I'm still waiting for a company to call a dual camera a double ender. My money is sat here waiting :ROFLMAO: (y)

Debbie did everything for money.
She still do, but now pursuing a career in politics where a person like her should feel right at home.

Anyone using the Tandem? How do you like it? Can the interior-facing camera be disabled/turned off via setting/command?

Back