Garmin Dash Cam 55 PLUS VERSION

podgeandrodge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not sure if this was posted before, but I purchased today a Garmin Dash Cam 55 PLUS - it's identical to the normal model except for the lens cover is not gold/brown, but black and has a polarised filter built in.
I purchased in Ireland, and it might be specific to Halford Stores which are in UK and Ireland. Anyway, very happy with this cam, my first dash cam, getting it hardwired in and it being such a tiny device is fantastic.

Does it also have the mini suction cup mount included?

-eelis-

I'm guessing that this is just a 55 with the new Garmin polarizer stuck on. It does cover the copper ring and looks "factory".

No mini suction mount included. Normal cigarette lighter attachment and spare magnetic sticker. A brief glance (only brief as it was still stuck to windshield) suggests that it is not polarizer stuck on, but could be wrong.

Here is what the 55 looks like with the Garmin polarizer attached.

jump003.jpg

jump004.jpg

ahh, no, it doesn't look like that. Either there was a filter in the box that the fitter kept for himself, or it's built in. It looks like the basic lens as shown in this page where this model is sold - it simply looks black not gold.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/garmin-dash-cam-55-plus

are you able to show what the cam looks like without your filter - i.e. is it gold as normal around the edge

The pictures at Halfords definitely show the Garmin accessory filter on. Yes, without the filter there is a gold band around the lens.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Without the gold band it could be either a 45 or a 65W. You should examine the bottom panel carefully to see which model it really is. In either case, you didn't get a polarizer.

I am also skeptical about the "lifetime safety camera updates", as that's an extra-cost option in the US, but I don't know about elsewhere. The quoted price also seems low to me (around USD$156), considering the 55 goes for about $200 in the US, plus the polarizer, SD card and camera updates.

Last edited:
deffo a 55 plus as I have the box! will go out to car now and take photos!

The box may lie. Read the nameplate on the bottom of the cam.

Ok, deffo a 55 as it has the 1440p option and it's a 55 per nameplate. Doesn't mention plus but I think that's because you are correct and it's simply a 55 with the polarizer attached. Photos attached.

9s6i3t.jpg

2vjwhlv.jpg

Ok, yes, that's what it is. The "Plus" is just a bundle from this reseller.

The pictures at Halfords definitely show the Garmin accessory filter on. Yes, without the filter there is a gold band around the lens.

View attachment 39324

Without the gold band it could be either a 45 or a 65W. You should examine the bottom panel carefully to see which model it really is. In either case, you didn't get a polarizer.

I am also skeptical about the "lifetime safety camera updates", as that's an extra-cost option in the US, but I don't know about elsewhere. The quoted price also seems low to me (around USD$156), considering the 55 goes for about $200 in the US, plus the polarizer, SD card and camera updates.
Hi Jonat
Answering your “lifetime safety camera updates” on Garmin 55 plus dash cam bought from Halfords. Having bought one last week I contact Halfords customer service and they reassured me that this is correct. I fact they have put it in writing and also provided me with a telephone number to phone Garmin for reassurance if I have any problems.

I last week bought the new Plus version from Halfords. Interestingly they still sell the standard 55 at the same price £119.
UPDATE, actually I just looked and now see the plus version is £149 (ouch!). I guess they made a mistake on the pricing at introduction of the plus, and now they just corrected it. I bought it at just the right time. I can't see +£30 in just that polarising filter shoved onto the front. That's one expensive filter. Typical Halfords dysfunctionality but worked in my favour this time.

My initial knee jerk reactions and observations are.....
-User manual woefully inadequate. Way too dumbed down. So much missing technical informations.
-Screen mount causes noticeable image jitter from road vibrations when rolling. Particularly at left side of image (cam mount is right offset. I reckon it would have been better in this respect if mount was central on cam body). It may be exacerbated by the soft foam layer of the sticky pad. Has too much give in it?
-It runs surprisingly warm, even with display off. Concerns about lithium battery reliability/lifetime/safety.
-Voice control is far too easily falsely triggered. Impossible to have any audio playing, or hold much conversation.
-It pulls ~200/250mA from 12V. (Even more if lithium is not fully charged). Same even in parked recording state. So that is close to ~1Ah every 4 hours or 6Ah each 24h. You would certainly not want to leave this thing on continuously in a car parked for days! There is virtually no power draw reduction when in parking mode! Why is there no low power time lapse parking option with say 1 frame every 2 seconds or similar?
-Why can't the speed camera file be updated via VIRB phone app, just like the firmware can be? I can't use express on pc as my pc is running XP (yes I know but I like it!). I mainly use iPhone and IPad for everything these days but can't update FW via those seemingly. Grrrrrr.
-When I look in 'about' I see voice control shows as: 0.0 (en_GB) is this correct?

I'm not overly impressed so far, considering this is a major well respected maker, and it's not cheap. It is as though the design has been rushed out to production way too fast. It could have been so much better with a bit more thought, testing and development work. However, It might grow on me once I've forgotten the pain of parting with £139! (Inc park mode kit).

Regards
Peter
IMG_1788.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, yes, that's what it is. The "Plus" is just a bundle from this reseller.
I bet that Garmin will eventually roll out the Plus version elsewhere. The packaging is pure Garmin (no ref to Halfords) and it clearly is printed 55 Plus all over it. It may be unique to Halfords in U.K. now, but I think in time it will appear elsewhere.

There appears to be no other difference apart from the filter shoved onto the standard 55 lens protrusion. It can be pulled off and refitted with care. It's snug, but it does come off.

Peter

I forgot......
Another annoyance is why does the speed warning turn red screen alert when I hit 30mph approaching 30mph speed cameras!?? That is so incredibly annoying. I am perfectly legal at that speed. It should only go red alert when I *exceed* the speed limit, not when I'm perfectly on it. Maybe there ought to be a user selectable over speed allowance??

I think the graphic showing the approaching speed trap zone speed, should be very much bigger on screen so as for easier reading at a glance when it pings at me. It should be virtually filling the tiny screen IMHO.

I wish there was a way to disable the silly Travelapse feature completely.
What is that annoying cross in circle permanently on the screen about? Does it serve any purpose? It's very annoying IMHO.

Peter

Last edited:
I assume you have set the 55 to leave the screen on all the time, otherwise you wouldn't notice the cross in the circle (which I see only for the first minute.) I also have mine to shut down after 6 hours of parking. I turned off all the notifications (but we don't have speed cameras in my area.)

I agree that the voice activation is overly sensitive, but it typically triggers for me only about once a week.

Hi Jonat
Answering your “lifetime safety camera updates” on Garmin 55 plus dash cam bought from Halfords. Having bought one last week I contact Halfords customer service and they reassured me that this is correct. I fact they have put it in writing and also provided me with a telephone number to phone Garmin for reassurance if I have any problems.

Any chance you could forward me the letter and contact information please. I tried to talk to halfords today, but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about... Thanks, Rich

Back