Garmin Dash Cam 55

I agree - the box the cable connects to provides some sort of signal to the dashcam to tell it to enable parking mode. Maybe it could be reverse-engineered, but it hardly seems worth the trouble to me. The cable/box also provides a low voltage cutout that is important to have.

Do you know whether I MUST use a Garmin parking mode cable to make the built in parking mode work? Or could I use a different brand?

That would be useful for recording all activity in the vicinity of your car. That would work for me, because I park at the back of my apartments and very little traffic goes by. But I don't have a parking cable for my Garmin

It wouldn't be so bad if Garmin recycled old parking videos. I do note that the parking videos are made at 1080p even if you have the higher resolution set, and they are one minute instead of three.

Do you know whether I MUST use a Garmin parking mode cable to make the built in parking mode work? Or could I use a different brand?
I am sure that with a little bit of electronics experience and some British ingenuity you could figure it out :)
There are three wires coming out of the parking module: +5V, GND, and signal that tells camera to either start recording or start parking mode.

I received the camera and i started my experiment to extract GPS points from video files. "Virb Edit" already uninstalled, the application can't do that operation (crazy, is Garmin made...).

Sw:
- Garmin Dash Cam Player (not officially compatible with Dash Cam 55 and the new 2017 models - another crazy thing by Garmin...) - used to generate GPX files
- Registrator Viewer 6.0.0.22 - everybody here know the potential of this application
link to sw download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...dqa2gzSXUxVkdEMHp6bF9oWDBkRjZaVnA4cU5iQTFXZmc

Open "Garmin Dash Cam Player" and check/select path for video files from which to extract GPS points.
View attachment 36994

View attachment 36995
Close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

Open the folder and copy the video files in it.
View attachment 36996

Open again "Garmin Dash Cam Player". It will show video files on the left column. Select one by one and export GPX files.
View attachment 36997
Definitively close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

The GPX files are saved in same folder of video files.
View attachment 36998

Open "Registrator Viewer" and add all the video files.
View attachment 36999

It will make group of the trip with GPS data.
View attachment 37000

I don't know why each video recorded by the Dash Cam 55 is only 1 minute long (in the Dash Cam 20 is about 4 minutes); if the trip will be hours, extraction of GPX will be exhausting. Camera is good stuff, but software support horrible. Thank you Garmin, for 199€ you could make a little effort...

Absolutely brilliant
I experimented with your method and found if you selected a group of files in Garmin Dash Cam Viewer it would produce one large 'movie' file and a single gpx file which imported OK into Registrator
Shame on Garmin as they offer no viewer at all now.

I received the camera and i started my experiment to extract GPS points from video files. "Virb Edit" already uninstalled, the application can't do that operation (crazy, is Garmin made...).

Sw:
- Garmin Dash Cam Player (not officially compatible with Dash Cam 55 and the new 2017 models - another crazy thing by Garmin...) - used to generate GPX files
- Registrator Viewer 6.0.0.22 - everybody here know the potential of this application
link to sw download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...dqa2gzSXUxVkdEMHp6bF9oWDBkRjZaVnA4cU5iQTFXZmc

Open "Garmin Dash Cam Player" and check/select path for video files from which to extract GPS points.
View attachment 36994

View attachment 36995
Close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

Open the folder and copy the video files in it.
View attachment 36996

Open again "Garmin Dash Cam Player". It will show video files on the left column. Select one by one and export GPX files.
View attachment 36997
Definitively close "Garmin Dash Cam Player".

The GPX files are saved in same folder of video files.
View attachment 36998

Open "Registrator Viewer" and add all the video files.
View attachment 36999

It will make group of the trip with GPS data.
View attachment 37000

I don't know why each video recorded by the Dash Cam 55 is only 1 minute long (in the Dash Cam 20 is about 4 minutes); if the trip will be hours, extraction of GPX will be exhausting. Camera is good stuff, but software support horrible. Thank you Garmin, for 199€ you could make a little effort...
This was exactly what I needed. Thanks! I used the gpx file with VIRB Edit and used its overlay functions and exported the video.
Thank you again!

Back