Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 questions

jiwkle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,
I am looking to get a dashcam for my partner for Christmas. Something small and easy to install. We live in a major city and park on the block. The concern is if someone sees the dashcam on a parked city block they may steal it.
How is the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2, can we disconnect it if we need too? I read some reviews that the app is really bad. I like the hardware/form factor that it is small.

Garmin dashcams use a magnetic mount. Very easy to dismount.

The Mini2 doesn't have the magnetic mount of other Garmins. The mount stays with the windshield on a 3M sticky-pad and separates from the cam at the ball-joint. It seems to be a really good fit, but in time constant removal and mounting might loosen the ball joint. This is speculation on my part, mine's only been removed maybe 20 times so far with no detectable wear or loosening. As small as the cam is there's a very good chance it would go unnoticed from the outside with care in placement; just remember it needs to be mounted in an area covered by the wipers ;)

The app can be 'buggy'. I'm running Android 7 on a low-spec phone and have to turn the phone off then reboot it to make a connection to mine :( Everything in the app works once it connects, but on disconnecting you have to go through the phone restart process again for the next round. Some other people have no problem at all. Many have complained to Garmin about the app issues but there seems to have been no real effort to fix it :mad: With their screen-equipped cams the app isn't really needed, but the Mini2 has no LCD screen so the app becomes critical. It's an excellent 1080P cam; great build quality, reliable, heat-tolerant, easy to operate, and the smallest decent dashcam in the world. Love mine, but no love for the app.

Phil

My bad about the mount. Didn't noticed that Mini 2 uses a different mount. I fitted a mount from my DC57 and it looks like it fits.
PXL_20220201_010317217.jpg

As for the app, I can't complain, it works flawlessly for me. I am also running Android 12 on Pixel 5 so that may be the difference.

I added a round magnet to my Mini 2, in order to make it a removable mount. I've had that for a couple of months and it has worked well for me.

I added a round magnet to my Mini 2, in order to make it a removable mount. I've had that for a couple of months and it has worked well for me.

Could you provide a picture? I am considering this as a replacement to my Mobius and use a magnetic solution for the Mobius. Very happy with that because I always remove my dashcam whenever I park and leave the car.

Could you provide a picture? I am considering this as a replacement to my Mobius and use a magnetic solution for the Mobius. Very happy with that because I always remove my dashcam whenever I park and leave the car.
The picture is two posts up ;)

The Mini 2 above is shown with the magnetic mount.

Ooh, that's the part I was missing. So it looks like with the magnetic mount you linked, when you remove the camera, it basically comes off without having to deal with the ball and joint portion (according to Post 3 above?
I found a video on how it looks like:
Is this how it works?

Back