Garmin Dash Cam Mini Failed Me - Overheating

benjamin-p

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this forum when I was looking for a new dashcam and decided to get a Garmin dash cam mini despite the warnings about overheating. Mainly because it was on sale at BestBuy (tip: don't buy a dash cam from the bargain bin).

I was in a rollover accident last Saturday and my dashcam didn't record any of it. I wasn't harmed at all, my only issue is insurance and the ticket, and I know it's only going to get worse in future premiums.
I was totally betting on my dashcam to save me because I know it was the other driver's fault, but I get home and there's nothing on the camera. The whole trip was missing from the SD card. I had footage from me going to Chick-fil-A that morning, I had footage of me going to the airport last week. I had video of everything except the video I needed to prove my innocence.

I knew about the overheating issues and I had tested my camera said issues after purchase. But I bought it during the winter so the issues didn't show up. But the day of the accident was pretty hot and I had just jumped in my steaming hot car so I can only assume it didn't record because of that. I can't say I wasn't warned, but I'm still disappointed in Garmin. This is literally the reason I bought it.

Do what you want with this information, but I personally will be staying away from all Garmin products in the future.

Attachments

• 51226812117_a876ae4623_o.jpg
    51226812117_a876ae4623_o.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 20
  • dcqg4s.jpg
    dcqg4s.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 21
  • -k6ajrs.jpg
    -k6ajrs.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 21
From what I've heard the garmin dash cams only overheat if you make use of parking mode but even seeing this i will steer clear of them

I've seen some reports of this with the Mini though not many. Still, it has always has been my belief that Garmin doesn't understand heat issues in dashcams, as they continue with models using LiPo batteries which have long been known to fail in high heat. I had great hopes for Garmin when the Mini was introduced with supercaps, but it seemed to prove my belief about their engineering approach :( It's truly a shame as Garmin makes some excellent cams otherwise.

I think it also needs saying that in the dozen or so cam's I've used every one has experienced at least one failure to record :oops: Dying cards affect every cam. Electrical faults happen. Plugs get knocked loose from lighter sockets. And given enough heat every cam will stop recording. It is imperative that you monitor your cam's operation and investigate any anomalous event thoroughly ASAP. These are relatively cheap consumer-grade devices, not professional-grade systems with robust design against failure :cautious: I'd say the good dashcams are ~99.5% reliable so for those wanting better odds, redundancy in a second cam on a different electrical circuit is a very good idea. Even then don't bet your life on any dashcam.

Phil

Garmin Dashcams usually create elog.json file in garmin directory on the SD card when something goes wrong...

I do not own a Garmin Mini. The 55's I have owned and the 56's I now own have never had any heating issues whereby they shut down or do not perform normally. I've never had any issues with any aviation or automotive product from Garmin.

It's too bad that a company gets a bad rap on all their products from one product that was researched and known to possibly have issues, then that same product was purchased anyway.

First off, I'm SO glad you're okay. Dashcams and cars can be replaced. You can't be. :)

As for the dashcam, yeah an absolute bummer to hear about both the overheating issues and the fact that your dashcam failed when you need it most. I'm very sorry.

It's interesting that the one cam that's not battery powered has issues. Could be more related to size and not enough space to cool.
I never had any problems with my Garmin devices (all battery powered)

It's too bad that a company gets a bad rap on all their products from one product that was researched and known to possibly have issues, then that same product was purchased anyway.
I did my research and thought I would steer away from the Garmin Mini for the over heating issues and bought four 56 cameras, on part due to my experience with their GPSs.

People spend a lot of money buying a car. It is often their second largest purchase. Then look for the cheapest dashcam, cheapest roof racks, cheapest tyres, cheapest air filters..... I don't get it. Maybe buy the "SE" model instead of the "HSE" model so one has more cash to look after it.

I actually bought two additional 56 cameras so I can have a second front camera maybe without polarising filter for better night recording and one as a spare.

Back