Garmin Dashcam 55 a question for owners.

sjb993

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering buying a Garmin Dashcam 55 for use as a rear view camera. I am quite keen on having the safety/speed camera alerts, but since it will be in the back of the car I do not need the lane departure warnings or go alerts. I guess the collision warning could be useful to warn me of an impending rear-ending. So, my question is whether the warnings can be individually enabled/disabled?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Before pushing the button on the purchase, I made a call to Garmin UK Customer Support, just to double check that the warnings can be individually enabled/disabled. I was told they can't - just as well I checked! Now trying to decide what to go for instead.

Before pushing the button on the purchase, I made a call to Garmin UK Customer Support, just to double check that the warnings can be individually enabled/disabled. I was told they can't - just as well I checked! Now trying to decide what to go for instead.
I don't understand. Look at the manual here:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/DashCam_45-55_OM_EN.pdf

I'll take a picture of the settings when I get in my car.
Here you go:
IMG_20181129_102613.jpgIMG_20181129_102623.jpgIMG_20181129_102631.jpg

Last edited:
I am also reviewing this dash cam with the view to buying, but what's the difference between the 55 @ £119 and the 55 Plus @ £109 (and why is the Plus cheaper)? I asked Halfords a few days ago but have had no reply yet!!! Does that bode well if I get a problem I have to ask???

Last edited:
I am also reviewing this dash cam with the view to buying, but what's the difference between the 55 @ £119 and the 55 Plus @ £109 (and why is the Plus cheaper)? I asked Halfords a few days ago but have had no reply yet!!! Does that bode well if I get a problem I have to ask???
It seems the 55 Plus includes a polarising filter and free lifetime speed camera updates. Not sure why it’s cheaper than the regular 55, but on Halford’s website it is shown as a Black Friday deal (£109 which is a saving of £40). One good thing about the polarising filter is that it is black and clips over the bronze lense which makes the camera less conspicuous. Not sure how long the deal will last, so I ordered mine today and I’m collecting it from the store in the morning. WRT support, probably lots of people out in cyberspace to help you - this forum for example - lacibaci helped me.

55 has been out for almost two years, I can't wait for the next one. I really hope they go 4k.

What sort of connector has the 55 Plus power cable got at the dash-cam end? I ask because I already have a cable run from my old dash cam with this connector - would save having to run a new one ;)

I think it's called a Mini B.

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpg
    IMG_5149.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 5
Received my 55 Plus just now - so small!
First thing I have to work out is how to make sure the screen sticky mount goes on properly - the instruction says the screen must be at least 21ºC for it to adhere properly!! At this time of year, that could be a challenge!

Umm, can't find anything in the manual. How does one "save" all the settings? Fo example, every time the cam turns on it is defaulted to USA, I'm in England I have to press "UP" and "OK", then it displays the "Warning" so again I have top press "OK". Will this happen every time I turn on the ignition, before the cam will work?? Very annoying if it does!!

The warning screen cannot be bypassed. If you don't press ok it will dismiss on its own. The camera records in the mean time though.

Thanks for that but how about the "default" of United States? I set it to Unitred Kingdom but when turned off and then on again it's back to USA?

Not sure about that one. Did you have it outside? Maybe it needs GPS?

Back