Garmin DashCam 55 GPS Issues

Jess Lorenzo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I just bought my DC 55 two days ago from Amazon. The GPS seem to stop working today.
Driver Assist, Auto Time set, Speed on Vids are all not functioning.

I've 'Restored' to factory settings 3 times to no avail.

Does anyone have this issue and is there another way to reset?

BTW, I have the latest firmware installed thru garmin express.

you've probably tried what you can try so far, could be a hardware fault of some sort but maybe @lacibaci might have some ideas, he's probably the most knowledgeable here when it comes to Garmin cameras

you've probably tried what you can try so far, could be a hardware fault of some sort but maybe @lacibaci might have some ideas, he's probably the most knowledgeable here when it comes to Garmin cameras

will await his reponse since you tagged him already

What does the GPS strength indicator show? (Upper left on screen - make sure you're outside with clear view of sky)
I would contact (call) Garmin support. The camera is in warranty so it should be no problem exchanging it.

What does the GPS strength indicator show? (Upper left on screen - make sure you're outside with clear view of sky)
I would contact (call) Garmin support. The camera is in warranty so it should be no problem exchanging it.

Signal bar is indicating GPS reception.

What about Data Overlay setting? Is it set to display all?

So when you play the video back is any information displayed (coordinates, speed)? What about date time?

So when you play the video back is any information displayed (coordinates, speed)? What about date time?

When video played back, the Garmin logo, wrong date, and wrong time are displayed. No coordinates or speed.
When I set the time manually, it is displayed accordingly.

In that case I would call Garmin support (1-888-442-7646) and request replacement.

My new one just went weird after update. No voice now and other strange issues. I tried reinstall on WebUpdater too... not happy

GarminMatt, I bought 2 Garmin Dash Cam 55's - both were working fine, but when I noticed that when cyclops update failed, my voice command option no longer appears. is there any way to factory reset this device, or can Garmin fix somehow? Or is the only option to return and get a replacement - my concern does this mean I have to avoid all cyclops updates?

Hi Holiam! Firstly, these are great Dash Cams. I really like mine! Sadly, Garmin software lets them down. Based on my experience, the drive files are corrupted and can’t be fixed by the user. Garmin UK offered to exchange my unit for a reconditioned one at my expense, taking 10 days!! I went back to Halfords, who exchanged it immediately.

Did you use the Mac version of GE? I thinks that’s how my first unit got corrupted. I use the PC version now and it’s fine. Perhaps the Mac version has been updated since - I don’t know as I haven’t tried it yet.

The good news is that I am on my second Cyclops update (Feb 2018 camera database) and it works. Garmin UK raised a ticket after I complained and they fixed the updates. So once you get the corrupted ones changed, they’ll work well!

Thanks, thats what I feared. yes I'm using GE on mac, don't have any windows machines. I took a long time before choosing to buy this dash cam due to the number of people that had issues. I've had lots of Garmin products in the past and I rate them quite highly.

I decided to by my dash cams from John Lewis due to the worry about quality, they are only 2 days old so I don't expect any issue returning the faulty one. I will stay clear from doing any updates when I get it replaced unless I can get access to a PC.

I purchased a lifetime update of cyclops a few years back for a Nuvi GPS and was happy when I hooked the dash cam's up to GE that it allows me to install the first update on Thursday. By the latest update just keeps looping - quite annoying.

It's a shame they don't have a factory reset option. I will call Garmin and raise the issue, but return the faulty dash cam to John Lewis.

Thanks for taking the time to share your pain - good to know that the PC version works well.

It’s annoying because the units themselves are compact and seem to work well, apart from the lane departure which I have disabled. I’ve upgraded the memory card and run it at 1440. Voice commands handy and none of the overheating reported earlier. Good luck and please let me know when it’s safe to go back to the GE on my iMac!

Back