Garmin Dashcam 56 - Event Detection Sensitivity

dr_jon3s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the Garmin dashcam range I've recently picked up a DC 56.

I'm finding the cam constantly triggers the event detection function (bumps in the road, sharp corners, cats eyes) when driving the B roads I regularly use. My car does not have overly hard suspension and I'm not driving like a hooligan...

Has anyone else experienced the same? I'm considering returning the unit as there is no option to adjust event detection sensitivity and disabling defeats one of the main functions of the cam...

Would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced similar or if there is some hidden menu that might help me out...

Rgds,

dr_jon3s

OK - been chatting to Garmin on this - there is apparently no adjustability whatsoever - so that, IMHO, is a large fail on their behalf.

Could be a defective sensor. I have 55 and 56 and had maybe two events triggered by a pothole in two years.

Thanks - thats good info and yes I guess it could be - shame there doesn't seem to be any info on the trigger level out there that I can see - it'd be relatively easy to test if there were.

Similar to lacibaci, I've only had 2 triggers when hitting road bumps/holes with the rear facing 56 since I've had the 56's. None on the front facing unit. Never had any triggers with either of the two 55's when I had those.

I experienced the same, too sensible. In B roads every two minutes... On the highway is fine.

Before this last firmware update(updated three days ago) everything was fine but now the Incident Detection has gone through the roof. In just a two mile stretch of normal road yesterday, it triggered 8 times. This morning on the way to work over an 8 mile stretch of pretty smooth freeway and side roads, it triggered 13 times. Has anyone else had this happen? I have a Dash Cam 56w. Bought it from Amazon in June.

No issues here with that on the 55's or the 56's. Had two 55's, now replaced with two 56's.

Since this past December I have purchase two of these Garmin Dash Cam 56 cameras, and for the one I am using I purchased the optional suction cup mount which is very convenient when using in other vehicles etc. But getting back to the Event Detection and sensitivity, so far I find it to be pretty spot on, mine has triggered a few times - twice when braking harder than normal at stop light intersections that have a camera, and once when I had to brake hard (triggered ABS) to avoid a wayward car. The one thing that I don't like is that whenever the camera saves an incident, it chops a minute before and after the incident. For me, overall it's working fine, but I would prefer to see an option to adjust the sensitivity and even have the ability to turn that off.

Since this past December I have purchase two of these Garmin Dash Cam 56 cameras, and for the one I am using I purchased the optional suction cup mount which is very convenient when using in other vehicles etc. But getting back to the Event Detection and sensitivity, so far I find it to be pretty spot on, mine has triggered a few times - twice when braking harder than normal at stop light intersections that have a camera, and once when I had to brake hard (triggered ABS) to avoid a wayward car. The one thing that I don't like is that whenever the camera saves an incident, it chops a minute before and after the incident. For me, overall it's working fine, but I would prefer to see an option to adjust the sensitivity and even have the ability to turn that off.

You have that option. Since September 2019 have that turned off and never looked back.

Back