Garmin has new Dashcams - 46W - 56W - 66W

The big question for me is if the new cams make you manually delete parking-mode videos rather than rolling over, the way the 55 does.

Looks a bit ordinary on my computer. Yeah ... CPL for starters. What are Garmin asking for these? $AU

US: $149/$199/$249

The new Mini is interesting. I wonder if the WiFi works any better than in the 55.

The big question for me is if the new cams make you manually delete parking-mode videos rather than rolling over, the way the 55 does.
Parking mode is the same as in the previous version.

US: $149/$199/$249

The new Mini is interesting. I wonder if the WiFi works any better than in the 55.

One of the easiest I have ever connected, I normally hate any cam with Wifi. This one I open app and it searched and prompted me to press the event button on the camera. Boom connected.

Hi all,
Just bought & fitted a 56. It power cycles randomly every so often. I have updated the firmware and am using a decent class 10 card. I'm using the parking cable and suspected the wiring but all looks good, new car, the battery voltage is 12.6V, 14.4V running.
I noticed that the yellow charge lightning bolt symbol is not always there, even when driving and the cams battery level dropping, which is probably why it's cycling off / on.
The camera boots on ignition and correctly goes to parking mode when ignition off, led steady on to starts flashing (parking mode config available on app) so it must be 'seeing' the correct cable / volatges?
My main question is - should the normal driving and especially, the parking mode, show the charging symbol, at all times or does it only display randomly when the internal battery needs charge?
If it should be on all the time it's 'live', then I need to check my voltages / cables...

By the way, I tried it indoors on a mains charger and it stayed on, recording for hours... though couldn't check parking mode.

Thanks for any help.
Martin

Hi all,
Just bought & fitted a 56. It power cycles randomly every so often. I have updated the firmware and am using a decent class 10 card. I'm using the parking cable and suspected the wiring but all looks good, new car, the battery voltage is 12.6V, 14.4V running.
I noticed that the yellow charge lightning bolt symbol is not always there, even when driving and the cams battery level dropping, which is probably why it's cycling off / on.
The camera boots on ignition and correctly goes to parking mode when ignition off, led steady on to starts flashing (parking mode config available on app) so it must be 'seeing' the correct cable / volatges?
My main question is - should the normal driving and especially, the parking mode, show the charging symbol, at all times or does it only display randomly when the internal battery needs charge?
If it should be on all the time it's 'live', then I need to check my voltages / cables...

By the way, I tried it indoors on a mains charger and it stayed on, recording for hours... though couldn't check parking mode.

Thanks for any help.
Martin
Try it with the supplied cable/cig. adapter and see if your power issues go away. 12.6V seems a little low, I believe the default shutoff voltage is set at 12.7V.

Try it with the supplied cable/cig. adapter and see if your power issues go away. 12.6V seems a little low, I believe the default shutoff voltage is set at 12.7V.
I'd have thought 12.6V on a car was good (not running)? But I'll try the cig adapter...

I'd have thought 12.6V on a car was good (not running)? But I'll try the cig adapter...
OK, you're right. 12.6V should be OK, 11.7V is the default shutoff, not 12.7V.
If the cam is shutting off while in parking mode, I would suspect that the voltage is dipping bellow 11.7V. I think there is a log somewhere on the SD card (Garmin folder?) - you could check that.

Many thanks for your help - I'll try later and post back my findings.

Am I correct in assuming that the charge symbol is always visible if my voltages are above the cut-off? (in either mode)

I've noticed the charging symbol is only visible when the battery isn't fully charged for me. Is the battery symbol full? Once it is fully charged the symbol goes away.

I've noticed the charging symbol is only visible when the battery isn't fully charged for me. Is the battery symbol full? Once it is fully charged the symbol goes away.
That helps a lot - maybe! I saw the symbol disappear and thought my wiring was flaky... The battery symbol was full.

I did suspect my ground connection and re-made it yesterday and the cam seems to be stable, just didn't see the charge symbol steady so it may be good now!

Thanks both, I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

No problem! When exactly is it power cycling? During engine off parking mode or engine on normal operation? Might help determine if wiring is the problem

No problem! When exactly is it power cycling? During engine off parking mode or engine on normal operation? Might help determine if wiring is the problem
It was randomly powering off, sometimes 30 mins, 10 mins or only a minute after going into parking mode.
I think the ground connection wasn't good, I had followed another persons recommendation on another forum for a dash trim securing screw next to the fuse box, which I did have earth continuity on when I checked stationary, but it was into 'moving' plastic trim so wasn't confident - don't know how it was grounded... Yesterday evening, I ran a separate earth from a good metal chassis point back to the Garmin cable box, gave it a run and it seemed stable - it was the charging symbol going off which threw me into thinking I still had a fault, wrongly assuming the symbol was always on when 'live'.
I think the cam had been charging when parked, then discharging when movement caused the ground to fail, leading to the power cycle once the internal battery flattened.

I'm assuming that the Garmin box takes the 12V fused feed in, checks the cut-off voltage (and stops supply if lower than the jumper selected value), supplies 5V to the cam, uses the ACC feed to determine ignition off / parking mode and must send a signal / slight change in voltage to trigger the cam to enter parking mode but keep the 5V live to charge the battery as necessary? I notice that 'parking mode' is only available on the drive app if using the cable.

Thanks for your help guys but I hope this is now fixed, just my bad ground and not understanding the charge indicator! (I hope)...

Last edited:
Took my DC56 for a quick car wash. The video is definitely a big improvement over DC55.

With Garmin CPL.

Raw:

I got all fired up to buy two 56's when I saw TheDashCamStore has a Father's Day weekend sale. They do not have the 56.

What sensors are these new models using if anyone knows please

Does the mini store the date and time ok due to not using a battery?

What sensors are these new models using if anyone knows please

Does the mini store the date and time ok due to not using a battery?
I believe the sensor on DC56 is the same as DC55. However, increased bitrate on DC56 makes big difference IMHO. No idea about the Mini. Also I not sure why there would be a problem with date/time on Mini even though it is using a capacitor. Real time clock is backed up by a small button cell battery and also synced with GPS on power on.

No mention of any battery in the mini though, only that it uses a capacitor

So i didnt know once disconnected at night and removed if the date and time would be forgotten... and not sure how it would sync time either as no gps in the mini either according to main site

No mention of any battery in the mini though, only that it uses a capacitor

So i didnt know once disconnected at night and removed if the date and time would be forgotten... and not sure how it would sync time either as no gps in the mini either according to main site
You're right Mini does not have GPS. I am pretty sure though that it does have a button cell battery backup for clock.

Back